The Government Ponzi Scheme Begins to Unravel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenspan: Aging to strain U.S.
Fed chief says quick fix for social safety net programs vital to avoid more painful steps later.
August 27, 2004: 11:11 AM EDT

JACKSON HOLE, Wyo. (Reuters) - Rising pressure on U.S. finances from an aging population makes it vital to fix the social safety net soon with steps such as raising the age for full retirement benefits, Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan said Friday.

"If we have promised more than our economy has the ability to deliver to retirees without unduly diminishing real income gains of workers, as I fear we may have, we must recalibrate our public programs so that pending retirees have time to adjust through other channels," Greenspan said in prepared remarks at an annual symposium.

"If we delay, the adjustments could be abrupt and painful."

Wading back into a politically sensitive issue that he's addressed before -- only this time on the eve of the Republican National Convention in New York -- Greenspan said raising payroll taxes to fund shortfalls in Social Security and Medicare might only worsen the situation by imposing an extra burden on workers.

He said altering policy to encourage a longer working life for Americans would help.

Earlier this year, Greenspan urged Congress to cut the growth of Social Security and Medicare, warning that without immediate measures, the U.S. will face unsustainable deficits, rising long-term interest rates and slower growth in living standards.

In Friday's speech, the Fed chief made no mention of current economic conditions or interest-rate policy in his address to the group of central bankers, academics and economists gathered in at a mountain retreat in Wyoming.

This year's topic for the annual Jackson Hole symposium is the impact of demographics -- specifically aging populations -- on the global economy.

Greenspan said the United States, which has been relatively open to immigration, is in a better position than some other countries, particularly if American policy-makers and politicians face the need to reform entitlement programs.

"Though the challenges of prospective increasingly stark choices for the United States seem great, the necessary adjustments will likely be smaller than those required in most other developed nations," Greenspan said.

He said falling birth rates mean population growth in Europe and Japan has "fallen far short of the replacement rate" -- the birth rate needed to keep the population constant in the absence of immigration or changes in lifespans.

A potential doubling of the over-65 U.S. population by 2035 will put substantial pressure on U.S. budget deficits and it is important to consider how to deal with the issue to protect the overall economy.

"Financing expected future shortfalls in entitlement trust funds solely through increased payroll taxes would likely exacerbate the problem of reductions in labor supply by diminishing returns to work," Greenspan warned. He said it would be preferable for Americans to work longer.

"Changes to the age for receiving full retirement benefits or initiatives to slow the growth of Medicare spending could affect retirement decisions, the size of the labor force and saving behavior," Greenspan said, leaving no doubt that was his preferred option.

Greenspan gets it. As long as you had way more people paying into the system than collecting out, it is okay. Now there is something like 1.7 people paying in for every 1 collecting and it's going to get worse. The age was set at 65 at a time when most people lived to 65 1/2. It wasn't meant to be one's only retirement (see pension funds thread) or to be collected for 30 years. Then there's my mom who had a job for all of two years of her life from 1958-60. She makes more in SS than she did working. I'm 43 and already resigned to working until I die.

Dan,
down here they've started down the path of letting the baby boomers have a free ride out my generation's expense.

In an effort to get away from Government pensions, they intorduced superannuation (a good move).

The early super schemes that my parents and workmates in their 50s are on pay out of the pooled funds an amount not linked to your contributions, but on your final 12 months salary, regardless of contributions.

Obviously that's unsustainable, so as my generation entered the workforce, we ended up in schemes that were based on MY contributions, and how wisely the funds invest those contributions. (they've made a couple of losses in recent years, too).

My parent's generation are about to retire, on the old schemes. As are many of the managers, and people making the laws.

So the Government passed retrospective legislation that I cannot access MY contributive super scheme until 60 years of age.

Watch it Groucho, you are treading closely to banned "political topics".

I always knew I would get screwed in the end.

quote:

Rising pressure on U.S. finances from an aging population

(in Ben Stein voice) WOW...Greenspan has finally figured this out??? How come I've figured this out about 10 years ago ....and I'm here slumming it ..and he's got his hand on the throttle of the entire nations wallet???

Why isn't someone just giving me money for being such a smart guy
confused.gif
dunno.gif
grin.gif

quote:

I'm 43 and already resigned to working until I die.

Well, JohnnyO, why not just beat them to the punch? Do like I'm doing. I'll be working to the day I'm dead or disabled. Why have all those wasted years of your most useless physical being occupied struggling to find employement? Revert back to the time when things were more "sensible". Just schedule your catostophic failure to occur at around 65-67 years of age. You'll have less worries ..less maintenance ..enjoy more risky foods and behaviors....

It's a win-win situation. You don't suffer ..the society will thank you!!

Why would you want to die in perfectly good health? It's kinda like selling a perfectly maintained car that has no problems. Get the most out of it!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Rising pressure on U.S. finances from an aging population

(in Ben Stein voice) WOW...Greenspan has finally figured this out??? How come I've figured this out about 10 years ago ....and I'm here slumming it ..and he's got his hand on the throttle of the entire nations wallet???

Why isn't someone just giving me money for being such a smart guy
confused.gif
dunno.gif
grin.gif

It is pretty amazing. It just reinforces what those of us with an IQ above 100 could see a long time ago. Politicians and their flunkies (Greenspan) don't care about the country, don't know about the workings-of things necessary to keep the Country going for the long haul. Its only about doing what is necessary to keep getting elected and keeping their positions). Greenspan, again, is just one of 10's of thousands of government flunkies who keeps his power by telling the imbiciles above him what they want to hear.

Looks like it is every man for himself now literally
frown.gif

Hope this is not a political rant-both parties do it
frown.gif

quote:

Uncontrolled Immigration

I kinda think that's what "they" are doing to help ease the pain. Lots of cheap labor to tend to us in our resthomes (illegals) ..and lots more taxpaying immigrants to help pay them.

This whole evolution (since the end of WWII) was an experiment in a "controlled re-entry" into what would be our normal socio-economic composite. Naturally we kinda drifted off course here and there and picked up a few side effects along the way.

We were never going to maintain that big an edge on the rest of the world forever. Soon our lifestyle and standard of living will begin to look more like the other advanced industrial nations.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:

quote:

Uncontrolled Immigration

I kinda think that's what "they" are doing to help ease the pain. Lots of cheap labor to tend to us in our resthomes (illegals) ..and lots more taxpaying immigrants to help pay them.

This whole evolution (since the end of WWII) was an experiment in a "controlled re-entry" into what would be our normal socio-economic composite. Naturally we kinda drifted off course here and there and picked up a few side effects along the way.

We were never going to maintain that big an edge on the rest of the world forever. Soon our lifestyle and standard of living will begin to look more like the other advanced industrial nations.

Immigrants can help in a country that makes things and sends them over seas or at least slows down imports. But the information that I have seen is that each immigrant is a net drain (after paying taxes) of $50 over his or her lifetime. That means the Government must pay out more money for services which raises the debt. Immigration does not help (the U.S. anyway) The net cost of illegal immigration into this country is estimated at $68 billion/year. I'll dig up the link. And don't forget they are entitled to SS (bankrupt) too.
frown.gif

Al

We're in a pickle. The majority of the walking and working population of this nation is going to retire in the next 10-20 years. Notice all the truck driving jobs? Service techs? Heck, look at the average age of your kids teachers. Who's going to do the work while most of us are drooling and having to have our diapers changed? We were not typically from 7 kid households ..nor did we have 7 kids each. When I was having my kids ..both sides of the entire isle were dedicated to infant needs (formula, diapers, etc.). Now it's barely a half isle on one side. The Asians may manage to rescue us. They at least have a filter attached to them. Been to the hospital lately? Indian, Vietnamese, Tiawanese, filipino ...
quote:

But the information that I have seen is that each immigrant is a net drain (after paying taxes) of $50 over his or her lifetime.

That's now ...what about when they're the only ones that can make the system function within the financial restrains that will be imposed in the future?

Just consider it a fee for ..hmmmm what did they call it in the old NFL??....ah! ..the "taxi squad" (a virtual whole team kept in reserve).

Unfortunately the vast majority of the illegals coming accross will never be cpable of more than $7/hour jobs. And this puts really more of a drain on the system. =Hospital Care, Services, Energy Requirements (They Don't Bring Oil with them
frown.gif
) And BTW I really don't have an answer-but I don't think uneducated illegals are it.
frown.gif

Not really arguing Gary-
grin.gif
grin.gif
have a great weekend.
smile.gif

Wait until the baby boomers find out that their checks are going to be 60% of what they think. I told you guys about the story I heard back in late 99 - early 2000. The coming war in this country between the haves and have not's. The time frame back then was 7 to 15 years out. Yes I will get political. What one particular party is doing creating a perceived hate between the classes and races is extremely dangerous. When this SSI bill comes due starting in 2011 the politicians on both sides are going to be wary of cutting benefits of the voters. Get ready to see cuts to the states in federal revenues and increased taxes at the state and local level.
The way most of this country lives pay check to paycheck this is not going to go over with Joe six-pack. You can't spend over 30 trillion dollars in SSI Trust funds over the last 40 years with out some fall out.

quote:

Originally posted by ALS:
You can't spend over 30 trillion dollars in SSI Trust funds over the last 40 years with out some fall out.

I really am afraid that the way things are going: Gov. Debt, No Social Security, Private Debt, Uncontrolled Immigration, Lack of Energy...the list is long. The lack of the Politicians to be oblivious towards it is beyond insanity. Not sure how long this country will survive as we know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back