need to top off my compressor

My compressor has a small leak and looking at the glass sight window it needs a top off. Can I use regular engine oil or should I pick up non detergent 30 next time im at the parts store?
Compressor is a Husky twin cylinder 60 gallon unit.

What does the manufacturer say to use in the unit?
Not sure, bought used and in three years its gone from over the red line to under the red line. Need to top off and have every oil possible in my stash but air compressor oil. Guess I should buy a pint and add to my stash.

A few years back I changed the oil in my compressors using Royal Purple reciprocating compressor oil. Like the OP, I wasn't sure what oil to use and I thought it would be a fun experiment. It proved to be a GREAT choice! Cut the noise dramatically on my 60 and 27 gallon compressors; made the 8 gallon Harbor Freight (Found on the side of the road) sound far smoother and seems to keep all of 'em running a bit cooler. It's a more expensive but IMO well worth it from the noise reduction and longer OCI. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: JC1
Dumped the Royal Purple this year liked it it summer but winter below 32f horrible bad bottle on bench would be tar thick at 15f. Time for change and incredibly happy so far we will see in winter 7.5 hp 80 gallon compressor about 1.8qt fill this is the new fill.
20200823_105628.jpg
20200823_105445.jpg

Reactions: JC1
If you’re simply topping it off, I’d say use whatever you have so you can use it if needed.

The detergent vs non detergent debates will go on forever and ever. Manuals say to use ND most if not all of the time. People here say detergent oils work just fine for them.

Im sure PCMO will work but is it best? Probably not. I just went through this and selected some off the shelf compressor oil. Not a very demanding application and who knows how the additives in motor oil could affect things.

Back