Need to install a power steering filter in Chrysler minivan

Was changing out the fluid in my PS Reservoir and damaged the screen filter internal to the reservoir. I'm ordering a new one Monday, but in the mean time I need to keep the van running. I'm looking at https://www.magnefinefilters.com/ and I think that will be fine, but I'd like to get you guys insight on this.

Also, do I install this on the "suction" side that goes directly to the pump from the reservoir or do I install the filter on the "high" side which is the discharge line from the power steering rack that feeds into the reservoir?

Why do you think you need a PS filter?
If you are already swapping the fluid regularly, that's all you need to do.

Not sure of the year of your vehicle, but I still have the original PS pump and rack on my car.
Despite being 32 year old (the car, not me), there's still no leaks/moans etc.
🤷‍♂️

Was changing out the fluid in my PS Reservoir and damaged the screen filter internal to the reservoir. I'm ordering a new one Monday, but in the mean time I need to keep the van running. I'm looking at https://www.magnefinefilters.com/ and I think that will be fine, but I'd like to get you guys insight on this.

Also, do I install this on the "suction" side that goes directly to the pump from the reservoir or do I install the filter on the "high" side which is the discharge line from the power steering rack that feeds into the reservoir?

I'm ordering a new reservoir Monday. It's about 85 dollars or so, not an issue at all. I just need to drive the van so I want to put in a filter to prevent contamination from circulating (if there is any - I do change the fluid on a regular basis).

The filter is a short term solution until I get the new reservoir.

Chris 142, I used the term "high side" as an analogy - it's the feed line from the discharge side of the power steering rack back into the reservoir. Do you think this line has any real "high" pressure as it discharges fluid into the reservoir? It's not a high pressure line as best I can tell as it's not metal, it is held with a hose clamp, and not one of these real high pressure lines:

Here's the part:

That's why I asking about which side to put the filter on.

Here's a video that is the same year of my van with the same type of reservoir:

Again, one hose from the reservoir discharges directly in the PS pump ("suction" side) and the other hose is coming from the discharge on the PS rack. My preference would be to install on the "suction" side that feeds the PS pump from the reservoir, but I don't know the level of restriction these types of filters can cause.

Last edited:
Wix 33033 is 3/8 metal can, 15 microns I believe,

Wix 33032 is 5/16
Wix 33031 is 1/4

I put mine on the return line to the reservoi…

Wix 33033 is 3/8 metal can, 15 microns I believe,

Wix 33032 is 5/16
Wix 33031 is 1/4

I put mine on the return line to the reservoi…

mattwithcats, this on your Smart Pure that you put your Wix on the "pressurized" side of your reservoir - correct?

Do you have any pictures by chance of the installed filter?

Rock Auto has this filter shown as a fuel filter - is that right?

Last edited:
So, after reading all the threads I can find here on BITOG regarding PS filters, and then looking at my manual multiple times, I realized I've been describing the lines attached to the PS reservoir with the wrong "names". The "return line" on the 2009 3.8L Chrysler products is the smaller line coming from the PS cooler and feeds into the smaller of the two ports on the reservoir (it's the top nipple on the reservoir) - this is line number 2 on the picture below.

PS Reservoir and Lines.JPG

The bigger hose is the "supply" line and attaches to the lower nipple on the reservoir and feeds the strained/filtered fluid into the PS pump. This is number 3 on the drawing above.

So, after reading multiple threads here on the subject, every one seems to have a preference for the "return" line - which in my case is the line coming from the PS cooler and feeding into the top nipple. As Chris142 said earlier regarding the pressure on this return line, it does seem that this would have higher pressure than the supply line.

For those mounting on the "return" line, what do you think your pressures are at the filter?

Can a filter even be useful on the "supply" line (as shown above) as it will have a minimal amount of pressure and might even restrict the flow into the PS pump?

Last edited:
mattwithcats, this on your Smart Pure that you put your Wix on the "pressurized" side of your reservoir - correct?

Do you have any pictures by chance of the installed filter?

Rock Auto has this filter shown as a fuel filter - is that right?

This is on my Saturn that I use for long road trips.
I put it on the return line, feeding into the reservor…

Yes, it is listed as a fuel filter, but petroleum products are all nearly the same…

Despite several turkey baster drain and refills, fluid was dark and gritty.
This cleaned it up nicely…

Look on Rock and get a package of squeeze clamps, and a 90 degree elbow.
You may need to get two filters to have enought clamps and short stubby hose pieces…

mattwithcats, I took your advice and installed the NAPA GOLD 3033 (Wix 33033) and it's working perfectly. I installed the filter on the return line. I used a one foot section of PS hose in a loop so I wouldn't crimp the hose and cause an inadvertent pressure increase. This will also allow the new reservoir to be installed with no changes to the lines.

I like this so much I ordered six more on Amazon (for half the price I might add) so I can do the same to the other five cars in my care. Thank you for the advice and recommendation.

NAPA Gold 3033.jpg

The circled item is the filter and the arrow points out the supply line to the PS pump from the reservoir.

I'm planning on this as a temporary solution until the reservoir comes in. But, who knows - I might change my mind, clean up the install, and make this permanent.

Regardless, thanks to all here on BITOG that provided their insight, advise, and help with this.

Reactions: JC1
I do not think it's really needed. Where will any contamination come from? An automatic transmission has plates that wear, and the engine has many areas that wear and combustion byproducts but a PS system?

I do believe that the Magnefine is a good filter for the automatic transmission.

Donald, to answer your questions as best I can;

The original vehicle PS reservoir has a filter in it to capture debris from the system. I believe it's about 90 micron or so (it's a mesh filter and very visible through the top of the reservoir). The filters become clogged over time (this particular one has been cleaned at 60K mile intervals) with tiny bits of black material. I have not had the black material analyzed, but it looks like either the inside of the hoses or possibly seal material from the PS rack itself.

Since Chrysler engineers decided it was necessary to have a filter in the reservoir, my concern was since my reservoir internal filter was damaged and I had no spare reservoir on hand (and had to order one as a replacement) what could I do in the short term to provide the necessary filtering for the PS fluid that would at least meet the minimum spec that Chrysler engineers had intended.

I went with one of the suggestions above and have been very pleased with the result so far. I have over 1000 miles on the installed setup (my picture above) and once I install the new reservoir I will most likely remove my short term solution on this particular vehicle.

Having said that, I am very pleased at how well the fluid has cleaned up and the PS pump and rack are functioning as designed with the additional inline filter. I bought six more of this particular filter as I am planning on using these as "back-ups" for the other vehicles I maintain in the event any of the others have the same type of failure.

On a side note, all high pressure hydraulic systems I have seen (with the exception of car jacks) have a filtration system of some sort. I am not a mechanical engineer so I have no idea what threshold is crossed to require filtration, but I would think it has to do with the expectation of the defined "lifetime" of the equipment and the filtration is the result of this analysis of equipment requirements over time.

Over 2500 miles now on the short term solution and it's still working fine. No issues. I have the reservoir change scheduled for this weekend, so once the new reservoir is in I'll take the short term solution off and figure out how to cut open the in-line filter. I'm curious to see what it looks like inside.

If you're going to do a permanent installation, I would recommend a Magnefine if you have room for it. (The body is 3" long) I think it has a higher micron rating than the fuel filter you're currently using, but has a really strong magnet and a bypass in case the paper element clogs up. The Magnefine website advertises ATF and PS filters, but they are the same filter. They are even available at NAPA. NAPA's photo shows the older, plastic style. I'm not sure if they will have the newer metal design.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATP18721

I've been using Magnefine on my transmission for about 75,000 miles. I think I'm on the third one now. Each one I opened had a coating of metal paste on the magnet and nothing noticeable in the element except an occasional metal flake. I never had problems with leaky seams like some have reported with the plastic version.

Back