Need to Change plugs at 15K Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have the 1.5 or 1.6 liter engine?

The stock gap is 0.044, AFAIK.

Have you ran a fuel system cleaner through it recently...

[ November 13, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

the 1.6 d16z6 SOHC vtec.

Actually been usually neutra for 3 tanks now.

I looked down the spark hole and still see carbon, but I guess I can't expect neutra to remove all the carbon off the piston head.

NGK ZFR5J-11, right? My bro's 94 civic has the same engine, and I change the plugs about once a year, or whenever i need something to do. Pretty cheap to do so at $2 or less per plug at either kragen or napa, easy since the plugs are very accesible. The plugs still look good at around 10-15k miles by the end of the year. Gap is not off by more than .002+/-

I have found the NGK to work the best in this engine. I want to try iridiums, they're about $8 each from ngk.

Is it possible for you to post pics of your plugs at 16K? thanks....

Wow I just changed my plugs on my 1993 Del sol. The plugs had only 16K on them and they were the Vpower NGK plugs. I took them out and could barely see any V Grove in the center electrode and the gap was .051 when the spec range was .039-.043, they came out of the box at about .040.

80% of my driving is highway.

I couldn't imagine these plugs getting to 30K, not I'm tempted to changed them every 7.5K, which I don't mind at all.

ChrisW, yea no problem, i'll post the pics soon. Yes I am using the same plugs you are. Is your brother's car a EX?

Yes its a 94 EX sedan, auto sadly because it used to be my mother's car. But i've done a lot of service on the car, and its still runs great. Good thing the EX sedan came with 4 wheel abs disc brakes, and front and rear antisway bars. I dunno why honda went to drums in the rear for all there newer 01+ civics (though i do realize that the fronts do the majority of the braking).

Heh..come to think of it, every car in the family has ngk plugs in them, the 91 toyota previa, 94 civic, 97 accord, and 98 audi.

Here's the picture
 -

that plug looks fine.

even if the v-groove wears off, the plug will still fire properly.

the plugs that came out of my accord looked the same, but the engine was still smooth and the MPG similar to the previous fill ups.

you are safe to use them to a little less than 30k, but if it makes you feel better, replace them, they're cheap anyway. i periodically regap mine rather than replace them.

quote:

I want to try iridiums, they're about $8 each from ngk.

stick to copper, best bang for your buck.

True I agree they would still work, but definately with a gap of .051, with specs max at .043, I should regap it. Personally I don't mind replacing them every 15K. The only thing I would worry is stripping the thread.

I have denso platinums on my camry, I probably should of gone copper, but they were OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back