Need Synthetic Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
kshachn: I can purchase M1 15W50 for $4.57/qt, ($22.88 for the 5 qt jug) at Walmart. Sometimes the 5 qt jug is as high as $28.00. My engine does consume oil - typically during a 6,500 mile oil change interval I have to add 2 additional quarts, sometimes a bit more.

Last edited:
You can use 5w50 or 20w50 doesn't matter since you live in Texas. The first number is winter and second number is viscosity when normal temp is met. This is as simple as I can describe it. All these oils are 50 grade when temp comes up.

I would not switch to M1 5W-50 if it costs more, personally. You've put many, many miles on M1 15W-50 so if you're going to stick with M1, I would stick with the cheaper and just as good 15W-50.

Originally Posted by tiger862
You can use 5w50 or 20w50 doesn't matter since you live in Texas. The first number is winter and second number is viscosity when normal temp is met. This is as simple as I can describe it. All these oils are 50 grade when temp comes up.

It's 15W-50, not 20W-50. And it does matter since one has the appropriate Mercedes-Benz approval and one does not.

tiger862: Yes, that is how I understand viscosity.

JustN89: Agreed. I just went to Walmart and purchased 4, 5 quart jugs of M1 15W50 for $91.52 or $4.57/qt., hard to beat that price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by tig1
Originally Posted by High_Noon
aquariuscsm: Thanks for the reply. I am currently in El Paso, although I grew up in Dallas. I will be in Dallas soon for a few weeks.

The reason I switched from Mobil 1 15W50 is b/c it is not a true synthetic oil - it has a group III base stock.

The grp 3 thing is false. All M1 oils have a blend of base stock which includes esters and PAO and considered Grp 4. There are no oils with base stocks of PAO only. All are blends for better performance.

Is this actually true? Don't some oils contain only PAO's. Doesn't red Line and Amsoil among others sell Blends of IV/V

No, none contain only PAOs. Amsoil also is a blend of base stocks as is Red Line, but RL may have a +50% esters.

If you can source it, give Aisin synthetic a try, its PAO+Ester oil and I am very impressed with its performance so far on two of my vehicles. Its also competitively priced for a PAO+ester oil.

I just went to Walmart and purchased 4, 5 quart jugs of M1 15W50 for $91.52 or $4.57/qt., hard to beat that price.

Which is only API SN, SM, SL, SJ and ACEA A3/B3, no Mercedes-Benz approvals at all. High viscosity is not necessarily a substitute for an approval.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Which is only API SN, SM, SL, SJ and ACEA A3/B3, no Mercedes-Benz approvals at all. High viscosity is not necessarily a substitute for an approval.

This link indicates that Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15w-50 is approved by Mercedes:

Mercedes Approved Synthetic Oils

M1 5W-50 is approved on 229.1, is 15W-50 really such a different formulation? I cannot easily find M1 5W-50 locally, but I'll keep looking. The M1 5W-50 is also more than twice as expensive as the M1 15W-50.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
Isn't M1 Tri-Synthetic a old product line from long ago?

Yes indeed it is a old product line.

Summit Racing has M1 5W-50 for 7.99/qt. but honestly, I don't particularly like the idea of a low viscosity oil of 5 to xx in a hot climate and an older, high-mileage engine, such as mine.

Last edited:
Summit Racing has M1 5W-50 for 7.99/qt. but honestly, I don't particularly like the idea of a low viscosity oil of 5 to xx in a hot climate and an older, high-mileage engine, such as mine.

An oil with a 5W winter rating is not necessarily a "low viscosity" oil. That is dictated by the grade, a 5W-20 oil is low viscosity but a 5W-50 is not.

I wondered if you were confused about that since a lot of people are. The "W" rating is a cold weather performance specification, 5W and 0W oils are not "thin" just because of their rating. In fact, depending on the brand and temperature a 0W-XX oil can be thicker than its 5W or 10W counterpart.

In Texas however, the winter rating is going to be irrelevant for your application unless it gets near 0F. Use any oil that carries the approval required by your engine and disregard the "W" number.

Since Mobil 1 15w/50 has done so well for you, I would stick with it even if it used Olive oil as a base oil - LOL!

Originally Posted by tig1
aquariuscsm: Thanks for the reply. I am currently in El Paso, although I grew up in Dallas. I will be in Dallas soon for a few weeks.

The reason I switched from Mobil 1 15W50 is b/c it is not a true synthetic oil - it has a group III base stock.

The grp 3 thing is false. All M1 oils have a blend of base stock which includes esters and PAO and considered Grp 4. There are no oils with base stocks of PAO only. All are blends for better performance.

Actually you are wrong. Many boutiques contain only IV/V and no I,II,III. Here is one of them:

MPT Thirty-K Full Synthetic High Performance Motor Oils are all comprised of 100% synthetic ester and polyalphaolefin basestocks with no highly refined petroleum (Group I, II or III) or viscosity modifiers. MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils are fortified with the finest additives available including extra zinc and phosphorous for anti-wear, as well as special friction modifiers such as molybdenum to ensure longer engine life, reduced heat and friction, and better fuel economy.

Most motor oil companies are reluctant to reveal the composition of their motor oils. We show the superior quality of MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils clearly in the technical data below. For example, please note the higher levels of zinc, phosphorous and molybdenum in our MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. These properties provide superior engine protection while helping to reduce heat, friction and wear. Additionally, The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) tests below were conducted by an independent laboratory and exhibit the high Total Base Number (TBN) for MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. The TBN indicates the oil or lubricants ability to suspend contaminants that can cause wear and reduce the corrosive effects of acids. MPT's high TBN combined with the naturally cleansing poly olester basestocks and proprietary additives allow MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils to be used for extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles.

Most synthetic motor oils evaporate and thin under high heat and high shear conditions. This is where the superior basestocks of MPT Thirty-K, MPT Motorcycle and MPT Racing Oil excel. These charts show how MPT Thirty-K, in this example with 5W30, beats the competition in evaporation loss and high temperature/high shear tests. These tests are true indicators of the ability of a motor oil to reduce heat, friction and wear in high performance engines.

With a naturally high detergency and dispersants, extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles are possible with MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. For engines subjected to severe driving conditions such as stop and go driving, frequent short trips, turbo/super chargers, and performance modifications, we recommend no more than 15,000 miles between oil changes. Oil filters should be changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Please note: MPT Thirty-K High Performance Motor Oils are formulated with a blend of ester and polyalphaolefin base stocks to achieve the proper viscosity. No viscosity modifier is added. During storage separation/settlement is expected. Please shake the container well before pouring.

And meet zero specifications and carry zero approvals. What a load, am I supposed to substitute their website fluff for an approval?

I'm so sick of these worthless companies that make claims unsupported by manufacturer certs and approvals. Put up or shut up.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Actually you are wrong. Many boutiques contain only IV/V and no I,II,III. Here is one of them:

MPT Thirty-K Full Synthetic High Performance Motor Oils are all comprised of 100% synthetic ester and polyalphaolefin basestocks with no highly refined petroleum (Group I, II or III) or viscosity modifiers. MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils are fortified with the finest additives available including extra zinc and phosphorous for anti-wear, as well as special friction modifiers such as molybdenum to ensure longer engine life, reduced heat and friction, and better fuel economy.

Most motor oil companies are reluctant to reveal the composition of their motor oils. We show the superior quality of MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils clearly in the technical data below. For example, please note the higher levels of zinc, phosphorous and molybdenum in our MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. These properties provide superior engine protection while helping to reduce heat, friction and wear. Additionally, The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) tests below were conducted by an independent laboratory and exhibit the high Total Base Number (TBN) for MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. The TBN indicates the oil or lubricants ability to suspend contaminants that can cause wear and reduce the corrosive effects of acids. MPT's high TBN combined with the naturally cleansing poly olester basestocks and proprietary additives allow MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils to be used for extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles.

Most synthetic motor oils evaporate and thin under high heat and high shear conditions. This is where the superior basestocks of MPT Thirty-K, MPT Motorcycle and MPT Racing Oil excel. These charts show how MPT Thirty-K, in this example with 5W30, beats the competition in evaporation loss and high temperature/high shear tests. These tests are true indicators of the ability of a motor oil to reduce heat, friction and wear in high performance engines.

With a naturally high detergency and dispersants, extended drain intervals up to 30,000 miles are possible with MPT Thirty-K Motor Oils. For engines subjected to severe driving conditions such as stop and go driving, frequent short trips, turbo/super chargers, and performance modifications, we recommend no more than 15,000 miles between oil changes. Oil filters should be changed according to the manufacturer's recommendation.

Please note: MPT Thirty-K High Performance Motor Oils are formulated with a blend of ester and polyalphaolefin base stocks to achieve the proper viscosity. No viscosity modifier is added. During storage separation/settlement is expected. Please shake the container well before pouring.

"Please note: MPT Thirty-K High Performance Motor Oils are formulated with a blend of ester and polyalphaolefin base stocks to achieve the proper viscosity. No viscosity modifier is added. During storage separation/settlement is expected. Please shake the container well before pouring."

This part of the cut and paste advertisement doesn't exactly instill confidence." Storage separation/settlement is expected."

No thanks.

Don't base your oil choice strictly on the base stocks. Performance is more important than the blend contents, and group 3 "synthetic" blends provide very good performance. That's why engines that originally ran on true synthetic don't blow up when they are run with the modern group 3 "full synthetic" blend oils. Because they are excellent oils. Sorry I don't have a specific recommendation for you.

This link indicates that Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Formula 15w-50 is approved by Mercedes:

Mercedes Approved Synthetic Oils

M1 5W-50 is approved on 229.1, is 15W-50 really such a different formulation? I cannot easily find M1 5W-50 locally, but I'll keep looking. The M1 5W-50 is also more than twice as expensive as the M1 15W-50.

That website is outdated and incorrect. The correct website for Mercedes-Benz approvals is:

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/index.php?language_id=1#close

It shows that the current Mobil 1 15W-50 is not approved, which correlates with what ExxonMobil prints on the container and the PDS.

And whether or not the 15W-50 is "really such a difference" I would not know. I'm not able to read a PDS or VOA/UOA and determine if an oil is close enough to an approved oil to be good enough to substitute. All I know is one has the approval and one does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back