Need some insight on Advance Auto oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that Advance Auto brand oil filters are buy one get one free till the end of this month. Are these decent filters are stay away from them?

I now have a small stash of those filters due to this deal.

They are made by Purolator and basically an equivalent of the Premium Plus line.

At this price, they are an excellent value IMO

I buy them for the beaters. At that price I can't say no. If I did 3-5k OCI they would probably all have them if the car did under 10k annually.

I bought 2 last week and did OC. These filters work just fine and it was much easier to install and tighten on the block with the grip surface on it. I did a lot of research and the AAP filter is made by Purolator, nearly identical to their Premium Plus filter, even had the same numbers stamped into the base plate when I compared them in the store. The only difference I could find is that the AAP is said to have a little less filtering media, which is OK with me. I change oil at 2800 to 3000 miles. I have used Purolator exclusively for a long time but will be stocking up on the AAP filters and the $7.98 gallon Valovoline this weekend. It's a good filter. Go for it.

I just bouught 6 for each of my cars,my father did the same,my wifes 2004 eclipse has been running theses since we got it,we do the 3k miles changes and i think there a great deal,ill probably go pick up 4 more for each car tommorow just to make my shelves look a little less bare,lol.

Picked up 2 more filters and 2 more gallon jugs of the Valvoline tonight. Will buy some more tomorrow from another AAP store because I didn't want to clean out the store tonight. For $1.44 each you cant pass filters these up. Working on building up my own stash now...

Jimmy,

AutoZone has gallons of Exxon Superflo for $5.99

As for the AAP oil filters, they have just a tiny bit less paper media compared to the Purolator Premium Plus.

Good filters.

At that price they are excellant filters. I have used them on Mazdas, Toyotas, Dodges, Volvos, Pontiacs, and a Yanmar tractor. The gripper thing is the best invention since the napkin.

The grippy surface isn't a new idea; Purolator tried in some years ago. We weren't ready for it I guess, because it bombed at the time. Not familiar with those or how they were marketed, I've just read about it somewhere here.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Jimmy,

AutoZone has gallons of Exxon Superflo for $5.99

As for the AAP oil filters, they have just a tiny bit less paper media compared to the Purolator Premium Plus.

Do you know when the superflow goes off sale? I just looked at our local AZ add and I don't see the Superflow, just the Penn dino and fram combo.

Last edited:
Last time I was there, that was the regular price .

Exxon Superflo is always the least expensive brand name dino oil at AutoZone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used a couple of the TotalGrip filters. The thing that bothered me about them was that I would sometimes find loose grit in the box, even stuck to the gasket. Maybe in shipment some of the gritty finish wears off. I wonder how many particles find their way to the clean side of the filter? I've also found big boogers of glue that have dripped down through the holes in the base plate and remain loosely hanging inside the filter on the clean side. They all don't appear bad, but if I was going to buy more, I'd look each one over very carefully.

I've switched to Wix. I'm sure they let out a few bad filters from time to time, but in my observation, their quality level is a bit higher than most of the others.

Originally Posted By: BigAl

I've switched to Wix. I'm sure they let out a few bad filters from time to time, but in my observation, their quality level is a bit higher than most of the others.

Thats why I made the switch from Fram to Champion Lab filters before I even knew about who was actually making what. I was upset with the initial quality of the filter and saw something else that just seemed better.

My only gripe with any of the Champion Labs filters was that the threads were often full of machining debris. I always wiped off the threaded hole on the Supretech filters I used to use, and hoped for the best. The newer Ecore design actualy seems better in that regard. The ones I've cut apart looked pretty good to me, fiber end-caps, plastic core and all. I have a couple of Champion-made STP filters in my cabinet right now from the last Autozone promotion, and I'll use them when my stash of Wix filters is gone. I'm sure they will be fine.

i buy them from time to time, as i use purolator filters frequently i don't see much of a difference with these, they are somewhat cheaper and since they are buy one get one free, i bought a couple.

would have bought more but in the AA2's they were sold out...bummer

I just changed the oil on my 99 Honda Accord yesterday using the AAP filter. It works just as well may be even better than the Purolator PP filter I had been using. It went on so easily because of the special surface on the can. I went back to AA trying to pick up a couple more, but the sale is over. Damm.

I like them a lot too, especially for the bogo price. I picked up half a dozen during the sale and am kicking myself for not buying more too, now that the sale is over. But the filter is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back