Need some help regarding tick bite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have contracted Lyme disease at least twice. It can be killed by a 28 day of a common anti- biotic . I forget the name but they were big blue capsules. That tick looks like it was missing its jaws. I have my own ways of dealing with tick bites.
I also prevent them by spraying an old pair of boots with ant and roach killer. I hear that is pretty much what the military does.

First off if you pull it off incorrectly it does not inject Lyme disease or a toxin into your body. It actually reguritates some of the blood that it sucked from you. The vast majority of ticks do not have lyme disease. And only 2 in VA do.

Check here http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiology/DEE/Vectorborne/documents/Tick Brochure.pdf , if the tick that bit her does not spread lyme disease then skip the trip to the Dr. Honestly he probably cant do anything anyways...if there are none up by you then he is just going to look in some book or look it up just like you can do. My guess would be that the skin just got infected or irritated. Put some topical antibacterial on it.

My son had a bite, I would guess the tick was on there for 12 hours and the bump was there for 2 months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
My dad taught me to hold a lit cigarette near (not TOO near) the tick and it would release. I've also heard that rubbing around the area in a circular motion will cause them to release.
I think if you google that you will find that is bad advice. But yea I know when I was young that was the theory.

"Never use petroleum, baby oil or a lit match to attempt to get the tick to detach by itself. This will only result in the tick regurgitating blood back into the ear, increasing the risk of disease."

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
First off if you pull it off incorrectly it does not inject Lyme disease or a toxin into your body.

Don't you mean to say, "if you pull it off correctly"?

Quote:
It actually reguritates some of the blood that it sucked from you.

Yup, and it "injects" its stomach content with its needlelike proboscis.

Quote:
The vast majority of ticks do not have lyme disease. And only 2 in VA do.

Ticks may carry many other diseases. Borreliosis is simply the most notorious infection.

There are just two ticks with Lyme disease in VA?
48.gif

Quote:
Check here http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiology/DEE/Vectorborne/documents/Tick Brochure.pdf , if the tick that bit her does not spread lyme disease then skip the trip to the Dr.

Not every layman is an expert at identifying Lyme disease. There is not always a tell-tale rash. Besides, the symptoms can go unnoticed for years until neurological damage has already occurred.

Quote:
Honestly he probably cant do anything anyways...if there are none up by you then he is just going to look in some book or look it up just like you can do. My guess would be that the skin just got infected or irritated. Put some topical antibacterial on it.

I have no idea what "none up to you" means, so I can't really comment. However, Lyme disease, and other infections are of course treatable, and the earlier the better the prognosis.

Quote:
My son had a bite, I would guess the tick was on there for 12 hours and the bump was there for 2 months.

Is that supposed to be relevant circumstantial evidence for something?

I grew up playing in the woods and still camp regularly. I've pulled off plenty of ticks, and never had a reaction that caused a pimple to appear. I'd get it checked out.

I grew up in the woods. Had ticks on me with some regularity, never a problem.

However, more recently, I had 3 on me after a trip to TN. Within 2 weeks I was in the emergency room, with a raging fever, a large red spot around a bite area and I felt horrible. I did not connect the tick bites with the sickness. But the ER docs asked and it became clear I had Erlichiosis or other tick borne illness.

The ER docs prescribed Doxycycline. It worked quickly.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I grew up in the woods. Had ticks on me with some regularity, never a problem.

However, more recently, I had 3 on me after a trip to TN. Within 2 weeks I was in the emergency room, with a raging fever, a large red spot around a bite area and I felt horrible. I did not connect the tick bites with the sickness. But the ER docs asked and it became clear I had Erlichiosis or other tick borne illness.

The ER docs prescribed Doxycycline. It worked quickly.
Yah that was the stuff. I had a classic "bulls eye" presentation, the ER doctor said. A quarter size bite mark with a ring about 4" in diameter around it in pink inflammation. He got all excited and asked if he could take pics. Ive had wood ticks on me plenty of tines, Deer ticks are a recent development up here. They can carry Lyme disease. If I pull off a tick the right way is with firm steady pressure that takes a minute or 2 for the tick to release its jaws. If I get hasty and pull too hard, the tick leaves its jaws in. Then I let the bite scab over and remove it it a week later. I repeat pulling the scab a few times until the jaws come out with the scab.

I've had red itchy bumps after removing ticks, similar to a mosquito bite. More than once I've scratched them until they bleed.

Just to put the OP at ease, I once pulled over 60 ticks off my person in one day. My dad and I were scouting deer in eastern NC (Beaufort County) one Saturday in August and I got into a mess of them on an overgrown powerline trail. Most of them were seed ticks, which usually attack in groups of 10+. About 8 of them were regular wood ticks or lonestar ticks. Needless to say, after that we ditched deep woods off and started using permanone on our clothes. At the time you had to go to military surplus stores to get the stuff, and I don't know how safe it is to use long term. You only put it on your clothes BEFORE you wear them and never let it touch your skin.

One other note, my mom came down will bullseye rash after a tick bite from our backyard in New Bern. A couple weeks of Doxycyclene was prescribed to take care of possible Lyme's Disease.

Ticks are something to be cautious of, but as an outdoorsman (or outdoorswoman) you try to manage the risks with outdoor activities. I'm much more cautious of copperheads when I walk in the woods behind our house in NC. My wife and I have seen two in the last month stretched accross the trail. I've only found one tick bite in the last month, but caught two crawling up my leg before they latched on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
First off if you pull it off incorrectly it does not inject Lyme disease or a toxin into your body.

Don't you mean to say, "if you pull it off correctly"? No what I said and meant to say is that it does not inject Lyme disease into you. Not all deer or lonestar ticks carry Lyme disease. The OP's wife would likely be wasting time and $$ with a trip to the DR unless a bullseye appears.

Quote:

OK, I said injects Lyme disease. I guess you could say it injects. Are you 7?

Quote:

Ticks may carry many other diseases. Borreliosis is simply the most notorious infection.

48.gif

2 types ticks that carry Lyme disease, are you my old boss?

Quote:
Check here http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiology/DEE/Vectorborne/documents/Tick Brochure.pdf , if the tick that bit her does not spread lyme disease then skip the trip to the Dr.

Not every layman is an expert at identifying Lyme disease. There is not always a tell-tale rash. Besides, the symptoms can go unnoticed for years until neurological damage has already occurred.

If he has the tick then a quick picture comparison should be easy.

Quote:
Honestly he probably cant do anything anyways...if there are none up by you then he is just going to look in some book or look it up just like you can do. My guess would be that the skin just got infected or irritated. Put some topical antibacterial on it.

I have no idea what "none up to you" means, so I can't really comment. However, Lyme disease, and other infections are of course treatable, and the earlier the better the prognosis.

I didn't say "none up to you" I typed "none up by you" referring to the OPs statement that they don't have ticks in his area. This would lead me to believe that most DRs in his area would do the same thing that he is doing and research. If you would like to pump your body full of antibiotics every time you get an itch be my guest.

Quote:

Yes it was, just because there is a bump does not mean that you have Lyme disease.

For the record if you would read the link I posted earlier Lyme disease in VA is pretty rare. I have lived here (not on the other side of the US) for 25 years, worked in the woods as an occupation for over 10 years, and known many within my old industry that worked in the woods for many more years. And I have heard of one person in all of that experience that contracted Lyme disease in VA. And since you feel like dissecting my entire post, have fun with this colloquialism. "Stupid Yankee done came down here, got one tick bite and ran straight to the Dr. Then some Seattle-lite told them good job. Everyone around the campfire chuckles"

Ever wonder why medical costs are so high in the US? Got the sniffles? RUN to the Dr. Got a tick bite from a tick that doesn't even carry Lyme disease in an area not known for having Lyme disease? RUN to the Dr. (especially even before presenting any symptoms)...

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1

Don't you mean to say, "if you pull it off correctly"? No what I said and meant to say is that it does not inject Lyme disease into you. Not all deer or lonestar ticks carry Lyme disease. The OP's wife would likely be wasting time and $$ with a trip to the DR unless a bullseye appears.

Quote:

OK, I said injects Lyme disease. I guess you could say it injects. Are you 7?

Quote:

48.gif

2 types ticks that carry Lyme disease, are you my old boss?

Quote:

If he has the tick then a quick picture comparison should be easy.

Quote:

I didn't say "none up to you" I typed "none up by you" referring to the OPs statement that they don't have ticks in his area. This would lead me to believe that most DRs in his area would do the same thing that he is doing and research. If you would like to pump your body full of antibiotics every time you get an itch be my guest.

Quote:

Yes it was, just because there is a bump does not mean that you have Lyme disease.

For the record if you would read the link I posted earlier Lyme disease in VA is pretty rare. I have lived here (not on the other side of the US) for 25 years, worked in the woods as an occupation for over 10 years, and known many within my old industry that worked in the woods for many more years. And I have heard of one person in all of that experience that contracted Lyme disease in VA. And since you feel like dissecting my entire post, have fun with this colloquialism. "Stupid Yankee done came down here, got one tick bite and ran straight to the Dr. Then some Seattle-lite told them good job. Everyone around the campfire chuckles"

Ever wonder why medical costs are so high in the US? Got the sniffles? RUN to the Dr. Got a tick bite from a tick that doesn't even carry Lyme disease in an area not known for having Lyme disease? RUN to the Dr. (especially even before presenting any symptoms)...

Blue_Goose isn't from Vermont.

http://www.tnhonline.com/2.3548/lyme-disease-on-the-rise-in-new-hampshire-1.390405

I was in the hospital recovering from a dose of pneumonia in '08. I found a tick in my armpit. I was hasty and the jaws stayed. I mentioned it to a nurse. Big mistake. They had a surgeon cut them out in a 1/4 tea spoon of armpit. He used 2 stitches to close it up. When I told him my method, he rolled his eyes. But if I was to run to the E room for every little thing , I'd never get anything done.

Thanks for all the replies guys....having never really dealt with ticks before it was sort of an eye opener.

Ended up being a wood tick which I guess does not carry Lyme Disease......?

It is true that I am in NH but she did pick up the tick in Fredericksburg VA

Actually learned a lot from this..Thank you for all the experiences shared!

Goose

As a survivor of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, I take tick bites very seriously! I hate those *&
Glad that nothing serious seems to have happened and I hope it stays that way. Taking the tick to the doctor is by far the right course of action.

Ok, got a text from my wife today (she is out in California) and guess what? A red ring developed around the bite so evidently the doctor cant tell the difference between a wood tick and a deer tick.

What should be the next course of action? Can she wait until she gets back on Tuesday next week to see the doc or should she seek immediate care?

Said the ring appeared this morning....said yesterday it was just red and itchy and splotchy

Ideas or advice? Once ring shows is it to late to avoid being infected?

Goose

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Ok, got a text from my wife today (she is out in California) and guess what? A red ring developed around the bite so evidently the doctor cant tell the difference between a wood tick and a deer tick.

While the absence of the bullet rash does not mean there is no borreliosis infection, the appearance of this rash is the strongest indicator that there is indeed infection.

Quote:
What should be the next course of action? Can she wait until she gets back on Tuesday next week to see the doc or should she seek immediate care?

She should see a doctor ASAP and get an (up to three) antibiotics prescribed.

Quote:
Said the ring appeared this morning....said yesterday it was just red and itchy and splotchy

There is a chance it is just a rash due to the immune response, but she can't take her chances.

Quote:
Ideas or advice? Once ring shows is it to late to avoid being infected?

Infection occurs when the bacterial load is injected and the immune system is unable to destroy the invader. The earlier the treatment the better the prognosis.

Ask your wife if she has cold or flu-like symptoms or any lung issues, for example congestion (Lyme disease often comes with a pneumonia as secondary infection). If so, she really has to see doctor right away.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back