Need some advice on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to the site and tried the search function but didn't come up with what I wanted.

My question is, what oil weight should I run with a built and blown cobra mustang. I've have been using Castrol Full Syn. 5w30 and from what I understand it isn't that great of an oil. So I'd like to switch to something that will have better shearing strength and ability to withstand what I through at it because I do "drive" the car.

I'm getting to pull the car out of storage and would like to use a new "better" oil. I live in Iowa where the summers are hot and humid if that really matters in deciding oil weight. I don't mind having to order oil or having to spend little more because it's worth the money. There are plenty of auto stores that carry most of the major name brands too.

Thanks in advanced!

-Ryan

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

My question is, what oil weight should I run with a built and blown cobra mustang

Might want to indicate what engine.....

4.6 stroked to a 5.0. probably just end going up going w/PP since seems it meets most specs unless someone else says differently

What kind of numbers power wise does it put out, and what kind of temperatures does it see?

I know in the factory blown 5.4, Ford reccomends a 5W-50 oil which is on the thick side, but it could be overkill for your engine. 5W-50 is a commonly available grade from Castrol, Pennzoil and Quaker State.

I might be tempted to go towards something like Mobil 1 0W-40, but the "experts" here should have a better idea. If you are running it hard, a boosted/higher compression engine with a fairly long stroke I think would be hard on the bearings, so you would want an oil with a good HT/HS rating. Something rated ACEA A3 or better.

Do you have an oil cooler?

478 hp / 523 trq @ 12#'s

It does have an oil cooler. What oil company meets ACEA A3 specs?

Generally oils that say Euro Formula on them meet ACEA A3. Most common grades in that are 0W-40 and 5W-40 and the challenge of meeting that spec is that an oil temperature of over 300 degrees they have to maintain a certain level of viscosity for a certain amount of time.

Mobil 1 0W-40, Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (Belgian Castrol is a common name for it on these boards) and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 Euro formula might fit the bill.

I want somebody with a better clue than my stab in the dark to pipe in here.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Amsoil Euro formula

Where is a good place where I buy could buy this or Redline because they seem to be highly respected oils on this site.

On the John Deere oil, I have never seen a bottle of it at the local auto parts stores or even large chain places. The Rotella I have seen and might have to try this out.

On the John Deere oil, I have never seen a bottle of it at the local auto parts stores or even large chain places. The Rotella I have seen and might have to try this out.

You'll find it at any JD dealer..It sells for 5.43/qt around here..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back