Need opinions quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck 2012 f150 3.5 EcoBoost
60,000 miles
I heard ford changed to another coolant so I thought I would change as it's time. My truck came with ford specialty orange which to myunderstanding is dexcool. I did a drain and fill only in 2016 and coolant came out clear. What I mean by clear is coolant looked new with no discoloration, grit, rust, dirt. I added prestone dexcool 50/50. Tonite I took a clean aluminium roast pan and drained coolant and after inspection the coolant is spotless. No debris floating around and super clean. I added enough distill water and run it and drove it with heater on after it fully warmed up. So now I'm thinking do I really need to change coolant to this newer type (prestone corgard) or stick with prestone dexcool. I know truck is low miles but apparently this dexcool is keeping it spotless just judging from drained coolant. So opinions please from yall experienced guys. And also I dont wanting hear alot of this deathcool blah bla stuff. Thanks

Why ask for opinions here when Ford will tell you exactly what to do?

BTW, the facts slow is nearly always better than opinions quick.
Just sayin...
cheers3.gif

I would agree you should can stay with Prestone Dexcool. I had GM Dexcool in my Burb for 10 years, changing at 5 years and 10 years. It was like you described. Now I have Prestone Dexcool in it. Some folks are going to give you a hard time for having a "GM" product in your Ford. Also it sounds like the " drain and fills" are becoming more common, but I still do 3 drain and fills with distilled water then put in concentrated antifreeze in. Just me.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4

Why have and oil forum and discuss oil when your manual tells you what to use

Prestone with Cor-Guard drives Bitoggers crazy because it is universal. I have a 20 year old Ford that had Prestone Long Life, changed once every 5 years, and it always came out pristine. It now has Prestone with Cor-Guard in it. Still has the original rad, heater core and water pump.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Snagglefoot I am completely gonna flush out with distilled and then add 2 gallon of concentrate as my total compacity is 16.5 quarts. Thanks for your response. Still on the fence between DeX or something else

Originally Posted by Snowball
Originally Posted by Imp4

Why have and oil forum and discuss oil when your manual tells you what to use

Yeah but '5w-20 vs 5w30' is a very different discussion than 'what is the correct coolant for my engine?'
At least for me it is.
Again, just sayin...
cheers3.gif

The Prestone Cor-Guard is the same thing as Dexcool/Deathcool except with a different color dye. In fact, it is often called Dexclone on here
smile.gif

Both Prestone coolants you used are totally compatible with no problems. They both use 2-EHA

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Prestone with Cor-Guard drives Bitoggers crazy because it is universal. I have a 20 year old Ford that had Prestone Long Life, changed once every 5 years, and it always came out pristine. It now has Prestone with Cor-Guard in it. Still has the original rad, heater core and water pump.
smile.gif

Not a big deal. I do the same every 5 years for 24+ years with green on two 87"s and still have original radiators and heater cores. Comes out clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
smile.gif

Not a big deal. I do the same every 5 years for 24+ years with green on two 87"s and still have original radiators and heater cores. Comes out clear.

And so it should be. I can't figure out why Bittoggers get so anal over antifreeze.
laugh.gif

Oh well, no different than motor oil I guess.
smile.gif

Last edited:
The Prestone Cor-Guard is the same thing as Dexcool/Deathcool except with a different color dye.....
PQIA analysis says newest Prestone has Phosphate (P) in it, won't find that in DexCool or DexClones found at AP stores and WM. It does still use 2eha though, like Dex and DexClones. I call it a modified Dexclone.

To topic, Prestone DexCool should be fine for topic application. It would also be my preference over Prestone Cor-Guard.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
The Prestone Cor-Guard is the same thing as Dexcool/Deathcool except with a different color dye. In fact, it is often called Dexclone on here
smile.gif

Both Prestone coolants you used are totally compatible with no problems. They both use 2-EHA

Pretty sure Dexcool does not have phosphates and Cor-Guard does, so they are not the same.

http://www.pqiadata.org/Prestone5050Prediluted.html

"And so it should be. I can't figure out why Bittoggers get so anal over antifreeze.
Oh well, no different than motor oil I guess'

For sure. Did drain on 11 year old Honda and a 15 year Porsche. Both were crystal clear, sediment free and looked new. Engine cooling interior parts were like new, too. I asked myself why am I doing this? Same experience on many of my previous cars.

Well I just left Wally world. I had made my decision to get 2 one gallon of prestone dexcool. But I changed my mind. Went with supertech. After reading alot here and other places I think minus color these oat coolants,dexcool included, are close if not identical to each other. I mean there may be some difference between brands but their well compatible with each other. In my opinion I bought dexcool but just cheaper without the name GM dexcool logo. I have no doubt it will protect my little ecoboost. Thanks to all that responded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back