Need Oil Sampling Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Fumoto drain valve and I would like to take an oil sample without a full drain. My biggest concern is making sure there aren't any contamination on the external part of the valve so that it doesn't distort the results. What is a good way to clean it before taking the sample? Since measurements are done in ppm, I would imagine a little bit of dust or other could make a big difference.

My plan is to:
1) Warm up the engine
2) Clean the valve
3) Drain a few ounces then fill the sample bottle.

All suggestions appreciated!

You imagine correctly sir ! Clean out the end of the valve/tube with a clean paper towel and isopropyl alcohol let air dry then begin draining for 20 seconds or so then capture sample.

If you use a rag of some sort to preclean make sure it is not cleaned with lots of detergent and fabric softener. It will kill the TBN of the sample if it contacts that sample.

Dirty rags are a no,no . I've read a few positive glycol/antifreeze because the rag had enough to contaminate the sample.

Happy Oil Analyzing.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
You imagine correctly sir ! Clean out the end of the valve/tube with a clean paper towel and isopropyl alcohol let air dry then begin draining for 20 seconds or so then capture sample.

I'm not planning on draining the oil, just sample. Can I shorten the 20 seconds to just a couple seconds to avoid too much waste? This will be a 3000 mile sample on Mobil 1 and then if it looks good I will run it to 5000 miles.

Thanks for the ideas!

Sure use your own time technique just make sure you aren't reading trash in the valve or tube assembly. 20 seconds isn't much oil normally. Unless this Fumoto valve is a major venturi !

TD

quote:

Originally posted by rgiles:
I'm not planning on draining the oil, just sample. Can I shorten the 20 seconds to just a couple seconds to avoid too much waste?

Is the Fumoto valve a hose fitting? If so, you could drain into a clean container for 20+ seconds, take the sample, and put the drained oil back in the engine without spilling much.

quote:

Originally posted by mph:

quote:

Originally posted by rgiles:
I'm not planning on draining the oil, just sample. Can I shorten the 20 seconds to just a couple seconds to avoid too much waste?

Is the Fumoto valve a hose fitting? If so, you could drain into a clean container for 20+ seconds, take the sample, and put the drained oil back in the engine without spilling much.

Excellent point! It doesn't have a hose fitting, but I think your suggestion will still work so long as it's drained into a clean container!

This site is great!

Before I had my fumoto valve, I used to drain about 1/2 quart of the used hot oil into a clean, one quart pyrex measuring cup. I'd let it settle for about a minute, then pour a sample into the plastic sample bottle. Sampling from the drain plug adds a degree of conservativism to the analysis, since the solids content is normally higher at the bottom of the sump and there is more moisture as well. In other words, the bulk oil properties are probably a bit better than your test results, which is a good thing, IMHO. Don't forget to topoff the crankcase with 1/2 qt of fresh mobil 1 when you are finished.

Clean out the measuring cup thoroughly between samplings a store it with a seal over the top. Oh, and buy a second cup for the kitchen BEFORE your significant other realizes the first is missing - very important!
rolleyes.gif

TS

I was wondering the same thing myself. When I do my oil samples with my Fram sure drain valve, I'd like to only remove about a 1/4 of a quart if possible, but I still want to get a good sample too. I figure if I let the oil drain for 10 seconds, then take the sample, I should be ok.

What would happen to the analysis results if someone were to take the entire sample out of the beginning of the drain? What numbers would be off?

Try a furniture/crutch foot as a cap to keep the valve clean. Might be tricky with the short outlet but it works well for quick connect fittings and whatever else is happier out of the elements. I'm surprised the mfgr doesn't supply something like this.

The N-type could just use a vacuum cap.

I'd still purge some oil but a very small amount.

David

meh, those quick drain things would really only be a benefit if you had an oil filter that you could get at from the top of the engine too. that way you don't need to jack up the car at all.

If you have the N-type and use tubing, you could also cut a 2" piece of tubing and superglue/seal one end for a homemade "cap" to stick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back