Need Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks, I just joined the forum and need some recommendations. I have a 1994 Ford F150, 4X4, 5.8L 351 with 174,000 miles. I have had the truck since new and have always run a "high-tech" (moly) 10W-40 motor-oil that my Dad sold. He retired and closed his business a couple years ago and we have burned through the remaining supply of oil. Due to the recession I lost my work vehicle benefit and I have been forced to bring this truck out of semi-retirement to become my daily driver. The engine has a small oil leak which I can't afford to fix right now and I don't want to do anything to make it worse. I realize there are probably just about as many opinions out there as there are motor oils but I am hoping to get some recommendations and direction on what motor oil(s) would be best for this application. I live in So. Nevada where summer temps frequently push 115-120 degrees. Money is tight so I have to take that into account.
Thanks in advance for sharing your recommendations.

Rich

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
Rotella or Delo 15W40.

+1

EIther of these HDEO is perfect for your situation and relatively low cost as well.

I'd say go with one of the high mileage oils like Maxlife. I believe Napa has their house brand high mileage oils on sale this month. They may help out with that leak as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Rotella or Delo 15W40.

+1

EIther of these HDEO is perfect for your situation and relatively low cost as well.

Ok, what is HDEO? Will you explain why you recommend this wt. and grade of oil?

Rich

Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Fairly cheap, they are designed for diesels, so they are very robust.
This grade may (note the may) reduce the leaking. 40 grade because you are running a high mileage Ford Small Block Windsor. 15W, well you are running in Vegas, so this will flow fine in that weather.

HDEOs are diesel engine rated oils that have more anti-wear additives and soot dispersants and suspendants than PCMOs(passenger car motor oils). They are generally more robust and shear stable, and are a good value for a hard working gas engine as well.

Heavy Duty Engine Oil

Fairly cheap, they are designed for diesels, so they are very robust.
This grade may (note the may) reduce the leaking. 40 grade because you are running a high mileage Ford Small Block Windsor. 15W, well you are running in Vegas, so this will flow fine in that weather.

Great sounds like a good way to go. Can I run it in the winter as well? Are there any good oil additives that I should try to slow down the leak?

Rich

Yes, this will work fine in Las vegas 'Winters.'
Just run this to see what happens. If its still there after awhile come back and we can figure out what to do.
Run this about 5-6000 miles and use a Motorcraft FL1A available at your local WalMart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

Some very good sugguestions here already and I would go with them as well.

As for your Kia, I would run a 10w30 and not the 40wt as it might be a bit thick for this engine.

cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back