Need new i7, Windows laptop

This is simply false. AMD is above and beyond a more efficient chip these days. The Intel parts run warmer and consume more power not to mention slower and more expensive.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking between an i7 and i5, not i5 and AMD.
At around $600 budget, I highly doubt the cooling solution between i5 and i7 versions is any different, so going with a less power hungry CPU makes more sense IMO.

I'm more of a desktop guy and I know the new Ryzens are kicking Intel's butt in pretty much all categories except gaming, but it sounds like they also caught up in the mobile segment.

no issues with HP lappys, but had Dell hard drives go out. its said the Solid State drives are faster + more reliable. i hate how the windows 10 cursor opens things seemingly "at will" even when just passing buy, for that reason + its simplicity i would love to have a windows 7 operating system on a new Lappy. an independent repairman told me ALL manufacturers buy the same internals, they then assemble them but you would thing costlier units would have better internals!! i do simple stuff on line + buy simple HP lappys but liking the 17" models pay a little more than the 15" models + a sound system open to the top is better for weaker hearing. shop + look + shop as specials pop up often especially around the holidays. the I3 8th gen 17" HP serves me well at $350 i paid 2 yrs ago. one other thing bigger is better + easier to work on if needed as i changed several hard drives, some are super EZE to get at unlike the 15" dell my girlfriend had with everything toghtly layered in there + of course heat is a big enemy in smaller units!!

Last edited:
I appreciate all the input, guess if I'm going to get what I want and then some, I'll need to up the budget. Not sure what a good laptop went for as an open-box, refurb, or something needing minor upgrades.

I'm fine with an i5 after reading the replies, even the AMD, I was an AMD guy before Intel and don't mind going to either.

Looks like $1K to maybe $1,200 might be the better price range.

@MoneyJohn , thanks for the links!

There is a shortage of all computer stuff right now, especially laptop and webcam, because of the pandemic factory shut down and work from home lock down. Kids now starting to use laptop or ipad for school since kindergarten! If you can restart your old dusty garage computer just do it, but if you are buying now don't expect a deal, most components are back to prices from 2-3 years ago (DDR, SSD, cases, monitors, etc). You won't find another 17" laptop for $350 anymore, I wanted to buy one more for my kid and the cheapest 17" is now around $550 or so. They are also hard to be made light and sturdy, so getting a $350 14" + another $150 27" monitor is a better choice IMO.

Meanwhile, I have an excellent condition HP Probook (6th gen) that I can't sell on CL or FB.

not looking to buy but always looking to learn + i only recently noticed this computer section on BITOG + am lovin it!! retired + too cold to ride my motorcycles so i enjoy looking + learning on line. without looking i noticed lappy prices going up, i have a spare never "fired" 15.4" new spare HP i got for $250, been lucky on a few repairs with a local guy + upgraded memory + replaced drives + like old cars bigger simpler ones are easier to work on!

Back