Need new dino oil for 05 ford 5.4 3v expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been here a while. I hope every one doing well. I pass to my youngest brother my old 05 ford 5.4 3v expedition 195k miles ( his first vehicles ), run and drive perfect, no smoke or leak or lost any oil, under the truck is bone dry. I alway change the oil every 6 month with mobil super 5000 5w20 ( some time 5w30 ) ( around 2000-3500 miles ) with motorcraft oil filter .

Its still have original cam phaser and it does making that noise ( sound like diesel ) I mean to change it, but with that miles, I just drive it til it broke , other then that the truck run extremely smooth.

reason I want change to another dino oil from mobil super 5000 , is I think the cam phaser degrade the oil and made the oil quality going bad early. first because when I change the oil and drive about 2 month , cam phaser start making dry noise start when I park it longer then a day or start on very hot day when park more then 8 hours. If I change the oil to flesh oil, it dont matter how long I park, it alway start smooth with no dry noise start. also no check engine light. check engine light go away when I change to flesh oil. I know this because it happen many time in the past.

I like stick with quality dino oil on this truck, dont want risk it have a problem ( leak, smoke.... since quality synthetic oil do clean up all the gunk and might cause seal to leak ), I dont believe in high miles oil either, for me either dino oil or synthetic. any dino oil that better and not break out early then mobil super 5000.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Try different oils until the problems go away. I would start with PYB.
Agreed; if somehow MS5K is not working (though I am very skeptical that it is not), try PYB, followed by Formula Shell, or QSAD.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Try different oils until the problems go away. I would start with PYB.

that is my first choice too. I know this question been beat to death, I been here since 07, or early, what the top of the line dino oil with best add pack right now ? that its too good that its should be synthetic ?.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
what the top of the line dino oil with best add pack right now?

Pennzoil.

the phasers will tick regardless of oilbrand or weight. It is a poor design, that was somewhat fixed in later models.

As for the startup noise after a while i would make sure you are using an FL820S filter. many times you can have a startup noise with other filters on modular fords.

MS5k is one of the best Dino oils on the market.

mabe some got misunderstang,
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
the phasers will tick regardless of oilbrand or weight. It is a poor design, that was somewhat fixed in later models.

As for the startup noise after a while i would make sure you are using an FL820S filter. many times you can have a startup noise with other filters on modular fords.

MS5k is one of the best Dino oils on the market.

I think this motor shearing this oil down too fast. I dont get start up noise after let it sit for a day or sit long on hot day. I never heard this noise on start up every morning, unless I let it sit for a day ( 24 hours .. ), with new oil, there is no start up noise no matter how long I let it sit or on very hot day. only after 2 month it happen, that when I have feeling the oil is going bad, but I keep on driving like that for another 3-4 month.

as for phaser tick , I been live with it, I dont plan on fixing it or use heavy weight oil to quiet it. I just want an oil that not shearing too fast in this motor.

I will try pennzoils next, hopefully it last a little longer then Mobil super 5000. and I do still using motocraft oil filter in all my ford.

Last edited:
I think this motor shearing this oil down too fast...
The only way you will know that for sure is to perform a UOA. Otherwise, you are merely guessing. Ford Modular engines are not known to shear or be particularly hard on oil. In fact, they can be happy as clams on nearly any specified oil.

I like stick with quality dino oil on this truck, dont want risk it have a problem ( leak, smoke.... since quality synthetic oil do clean up all the gunk and might cause seal to leak ), I dont believe in high miles oil either, for me either dino oil or synthetic. any dino oil that better and not break out early then mobil super 5000.

There is no risk in switching to synthetic at all. In fact, it's better to switch.

This said, any oil will do.

I would be putting a 5W40 HDEO in it..the phasers are gonna be the death of it...the thicker oil will buy you time b4 it dies..its a crutch but it prolongs the inevitable....just my 2 cents..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back