Need help with hm oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The MMO is burning off like others have said. Do not use!

I would use Mobil1 HM 10w-30. It's a "thick" oil. Works well in my old rigs.

Mobil1 HM 10w-30 API SN ACEA A3
Vi@40C - 78
Vi@100C - 12.1
HTHS - 3.5
VI - 149
NOAK - not published but guessing at @10
TBN - not published but guessing at @9

Last edited:
If you are adding a qt every 1500 miles, you are changing your oil a little at a time.
Just change the filter every 5-6000 miles depending on how good a filter you use.

I see no reason in your case not to move to a 10w40 and see what happens.
Following the OLM on early model Equinox proved for many to be foolish.
My wife had one, UOA's were always full of fuel. That was one car that needed a shorter OCI.

First thing I'd check is the PCV system ... Next I'd go to a straight SAE 30 HD for one change and see if that made any difference. No VII's, just oil.

If that made a difference I'd come back and post about it. We can go from there.

An HM oil might help with leaky valve seals? But it might not ...

Need more info ...

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
First thing I'd check is the PCV system ... Next I'd go to a straight SAE 30 HD for one change and see if that made any difference. No VII's, just oil.

If that made a difference I'd come back and post about it. We can go from there.

An HM oil might help with leaky valve seals? But it might not ...

Need more info ...
no puff on start up. I have a feeling the mmo and fuel dilution is making this oci terrible. Im changing it today and will see what happens

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
The MMO is burning off like others have said. Do not use!

I would use Mobil1 HM 10w-30. It's a "thick" oil. Works well in my old rigs.

Mobil1 HM 10w-30 API SN ACEA A3
Vi@40C - 78
Vi@100C - 12.1
HTHS - 3.5
VI - 149
NOAK - not published but guessing at @10
TBN - not published but guessing at @9

I'd start here too.

Castrol Edge Titanium HM is one of the thicker syn HM oils.

Last edited:
I went to the Castrol web site since I'm not familiar with their products. It's actually an average spec (10w-30) HM oil. Not thicker.

API SN, ILSAC GF5, ACEA A1 (old spec)
Vi@49C - 71.5
Vi@100C - 11.5
HTHS - 3.2
VI - 151
NOAK - 8.5
TBN - ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dylan1303
So my wifes 2013 equinox 2.4 awd. Is burning about 1 qt every 1-1.5k. Its a 5 qt sump. I want to use a oil that will slow consumption. It has no warrenty. Would prefer to stay in the 5w30 range. My choices where pphm, red bottle maxlife blend. Qs defy hm syn. Currently using pp with 1qt of mmo as a top off. I have about 1k left on the oci. I wanted to do 3k oci and a oil filter change every other Oci. What do u think to slow down consumption? Also has no leaks and it has 111k miles. The gm lea motor is a know oil drinker. Its also di so the oil always smells like fuel.

My Durango is a 2011 5.7L Hemi with close to 140k miles on the clock. The only two oils I have not had oil consumption with are QSUD and PPHM. It took more than 1 oil change after switching to get it to stop. Castrol Edge High Milage worked for my In-Laws 1998 Honday Odyssey with close to 160K miles. I would pick one of thoes 3 and try it for 3 or so oil changes.

Originally Posted by Aero540T
Couple months ago my younger brother stopped by and his 2012 Equinox was making a racket. After more than a quart it started to show on the dipstick. His oil life monitor was showing plenty of life left. We didn't have time so I told him to get it changed immediately. Then I went online and see they have major oil burning issues

I wanted to update that my brother took his Equinox to the dealer to get the oil changed again and they said it had a lot of metal in the oil and couldnt recommend driving further. He wanted to get a new 2017 Equinox (with the same engine I believe), and I talked him out of it. He's coming home in a 2017 Escape with the 1.5l Ecoboost now. I really hope this treats him well as the Equinox put him in a really bad spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back