need help with covering a cold air intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gathermewool

What do you MS guys use to datalog? In Subies, -1.4* feedback knock correction was usually referred to as phantom knock and was disregarded, as were slightly higher values at low loads. What's the equivalent for you guys?

Very cool that they Mazda actually offered a fix instead of saying that wacky LTFTs are normal, like I feel Subaru would likely do.

Is the picture the stock "upper pipe"? That looks aftermarket. Or are you saying that the Mazda fix, the air straightener before the MAF, also worked with aftermarket intakes, like the CAI you mention?

Thanks again for humoring me, especially after my initially (admittedly) snarky reply!
11.gif

No worries about your reply, I can be a bit snarky as well.
cheers3.gif
I never datalogged my MS3; I depended on other members on a couple of Mazdaspeed forums. As for the air straightener, it only was used with the Mazdaspeed/AEM intake- the upper pipe in the picture is part of the CAI. The only other engine mod was a canned Hypertech tune, it actually had different maps for different CAIs. It helped a bit, but not nearly as much as the CAI- but then I bought it used for cheap. I sold the car at 158k miles and it was still running great.

I put a CAI on my old '94 Honda Accord with the VTech 2.4 and 5 speed manual. 2 things I noticed that were immediate. #1...the noise. Moaned like crazy. #2...I no longer needed to downshift from 5th to maintain speed on certain inclines. Before the CAI, there were several roads with slight inclines that always required a shift to 4th to maintain 60mph. After the CAI, the car would easily maintain and was even able to GAIN a few mph on these same hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back