Need Help with Brakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
I will be changing brake pads and discs for the first time in my life on my father's Toyota Prado. I have already bought the discs and pads, but need some help regarding the applying of greases/antiseize/antisqueal/shims.

The pads I bought are RDA EXTREMEs, which came with removable metal plate-like things, which I will assume are the shims for now...

Anyways, I have read over the internets that in order for the brakes not to squeal, it is important to have a coating of copper antiseize or antisqueal compound. I have also read that these compounds are unnecessary since I already have shims, but also people who said that it is important to have both in order for the brakes not to squeak. There were also people who said that they did not have either and have not had any squeaks yet. As you can see, all this is very conflicting info- I have tried to make the best out of it, but still I am unsure on what to do. It will be very inconvenient for me to go back and forth to the nearest auto parts store, and frankly, I cannot be bothered, although if it really is needed, I guess I will have to go back and buy some.

Can someone out there with experience please point me in the right direction.

Thanks, Kevin

Put them in without any goo. Goo will hurt your pedal feel. If they squeal, take them apart and seek out goo.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Put them in without any goo. Goo will hurt your pedal feel. If they squeal, take them apart and seek out goo.

So no goo but with the shims?

Last edited:
I usually use the shims, but never use the goo. The only one that ever made noise was my 74 Malibu with its looser fit calipers. That squealing went away after a few months without goo.

First look up the Toyota parts diagram that includes the pads on the internet.

If "RDA EXTREMEs" don't have the exact same "metal plate-like things" (AKA shims) toss those in the round file and order the factory Toyota pad kit.

In any case order a factory repair manual.

Use what that factory manual says to use where it says to use it. I will wager it doesn't call for any orange, blue, red or other snot on the pads. (it may call for silicone or moly grease in places).

Obviously that is my opinion, but it is based on quite a bit of experience with people whining about squealing brakes, nine times out of ten you'll find garbage pads with that blue anti-squeal hogwash on them... install the right stuff properly and it will stop squealing.

if u dont have any antiseize or sil glyde, put all clips and brakes back together like you found them. Check all slide pins as you disassmble.

blue loctite on brake caliper bolts for piece of mind.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
First look up the Toyota parts diagram that includes the pads on the internet.

If "RDA EXTREMEs" don't have the exact same "metal plate-like things" (AKA shims) toss those in the round file and order the factory Toyota pad kit.

In any case order a factory repair manual.

Use what that factory manual says to use where it says to use it. I will wager it doesn't call for any orange, blue, red or other snot on the pads. (it may call for silicone or moly grease in places).

Obviously that is my opinion, but it is based on quite a bit of experience with people whining about squealing brakes, nine times out of ten you'll find garbage pads with that blue anti-squeal hogwash on them... install the right stuff properly and it will stop squealing.

Thanks, just want to clarify, do the shims need to be EXACTLY the same?

You have probably never heard of RDA EXTREMEs, and while they are inexpensive, they are definitely not cheap garbage and offer a good upgrade in both bite and pedal feel to the factory pads, according to various forums online.

Thanks again, Kevin

I never have used the stuff for anti-squeal and never had an issue. Never heard of RDA, but that could be a brand that is not in the USA. You do need some high temp brake grease for lubricating a few areas. Be cheap with the grease, you do not need a lot. If the sliding pins are rusty, replace them, do not try and clean off the rust. If just dirty, clean them up.

Maybe a good time to flush some brake fluid through the system.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
I never have used the stuff for anti-squeal and never had an issue. Never heard of RDA, but that could be a brand that is not in the USA. You do need some high temp brake grease for lubricating a few areas. Be cheap with the grease, you do not need a lot. If the sliding pins are rusty, replace them, do not try and clean off the rust. If just dirty, clean them up.

Maybe a good time to flush some brake fluid through the system.

Yes you are right. Maybe I should have mentioned it before, but I think RDAs are pretty much exclusive to Australia only.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's advice, I think I have a good idea of what to do now.

And check the fit when they go together. The pad ears should not have room to rattle but should also not need prying out with a screwdriver.

Originally Posted By: kev090997

Thanks, just want to clarify, do the shims need to be EXACTLY the same?

IMO - yes - if you want to be assured of minimum squeal. Brake noise is something that will get you warranty complaints, car manufacturers spend a lot of money/experience to keep it in check.

Might some other than OEM configuration work? It might, but unless you find a model specific forum with a good pool of experience you won't know until you try it.

Originally Posted By: kev090997
You have probably never heard of RDA EXTREMEs, and while they are inexpensive, they are definitely not cheap garbage and offer a good upgrade in both bite and pedal feel to the factory pads, according to various forums online.

Thanks again, Kevin

I haven't heard of RDA Extreme, are they part of Repco/PBR/DBA? Pad material is a trade off, much like tires if you want something you have to give up something else. It might be noise or lack of... or any one of a number of things but for more "bite" with the same pedal feel you're more than likely giving up something - noise, pad life, dust, rotor life, hot performance, cold performance...

EDIT: Ah looks like RDA is somehow affiliated with EBC? And they carry TUV approval? (that is probably good)

Last edited:
I bought the anti-squeal goop years ago and only used it once on my old 95 Honda Accord. The brakes did not squeal, but I don’t think the goop had anything to do with it and I did not like applying it, so I stopped using it altogether, even on non shimmed pads.
Instead, I put a very thin layer of the caliper grease on all the points that make contact with the caliper, caliper bracket and the cylinder. I never had a squealing pad so far using this method. From my experience, if you learn to do the job properly, take your time, clean all the mating surfaces from rust (a wire brush, sand paper and a flat file are your friends here) and lube all necessary points (and don't over use the lube), you will not need any other products and the brake job will last a long time.

Now, I'm not a mechanic, so my experience is very limited, and I'm sure the goop has its uses, I'm simply relaying my experience as a DIY-er.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back