Need help understanding torx types

I don’t have enough tools in the toolbox to work on a jeep Cherokee KL. Looking at the descriptions of tools online I see the following.

Etorx
Female Etorx
External Torx
Torx
Torx plus
EP torx plus
E torx plus

A few more names with sockets that look similar. Some are flat. Some are concave. Some have more rounded edges which I think is the torx plus. Can somebody explain all these names so I can buy the right tools thanks.

Torx plus is a completely different shape. The leaflets are more squared off. Compeletely different wrench needed - more confusion.

E-torx is simply an inverted torx - meaning its like a bolt head that you use a socket for, as apposed to a recessed head that you stick a screwdriver type head into - if that makes sense. Only seen one once. I used a vice grip :LOL:

I recall there being a few engine studs on the Lumina that had ends that were external Torx. Either alternator or the EGR mounting? Only place I've come across them. I have a set of Lisle sockets.

Last edited:
For example. What is a female Etorx?? 😂
IMG_5507.jpg

I needed those on my Sienna when doing the valve cover gaskets. It was a bracket for the ignition wiring harness, I think.

External points on the fastener mean that the matching driver is a female socket. It's different words for the same thing.

I bought this set over 4 years ago and couldn't be more pleased with it for a take along set, everything in one place.
I does not include Torx Plus security or long ones but for most jobs it works well. The quality is not Hazet, Stahlwille or Snap on but it is remarkably good for a tool in this price class, you actually get more than you paid for. The fit of the bits and sockets is good and the finish is excellent, even the case is good and worth keeping. I have used them a lot and nothing has broken, for $55 you cant go wrong, I paid more than this for one Snap on wobble Etorx.

capri torx.jpg

For example. What is a female Etorx?? 😂
View attachment 212548
Even an inexpensive set like that allowed me to do front struts on a KL. In my case I had this one, probably same Chinese factory but who knows:

I later also got a greater selection of E-torx wrenches and even ratcheting wrenches once it was clear there were several KLs I'd be maintaining-- and I think most CDJR stuff of the era employs it, too.

I don't see much benefit to E-torx bolt heads. Just another example of different for the sake of different. Or as Matthew Modine's character said in Weeds, "Change is good, because change is change." Profound indeed.

I notice some Etorx are flat, some tapered. Is
There are also countersink etorx and etorx plus.

View attachment 212579

Does this explain why some Etorx/Torx plus sockets are flat on the end, some are tapered or concave? To accommodate the head height?

Can I use one for both?

I've always wondered if we really needed a torx plus, I mean is there a torx that didn't hold well?

I've always wondered if we really needed a torx plus, I mean is there a torx that didn't hold well?
I've always felt like TP would be more durable due to more radiused edges on the male bit. So, I have to wonder if standard torx shouldn't be deleted in favor of Plus only.....

As I understand it, the patent expired for Torx, so the originator had to make something new to keep a patent, hence Torx Plus. They're close enough you can sometimes interchange, but not if you need lots of torque. It's more annoying than the Phillips/Pozidriv confusion.

For the same size, Torx Plus is a little larger.

I bought this set over 4 years ago and couldn't be more pleased with it for a take along set, everything in one place.
I does not include Torx Plus security or long ones but for most jobs it works well. The quality is not Hazet, Stahlwille or Snap on but it is remarkably good for a tool in this price class, you actually get more than you paid for. The fit of the bits and sockets is good and the finish is excellent, even the case is good and worth keeping. I have used them a lot and nothing has broken, for $55 you cant go wrong, I paid more than this for one Snap on wobble Etorx.

View attachment 212580
I agree and have that same set. Capri tools have been a surprising low cost tool with high quality. I also have a few other tools from them and same results - impressive.

I agree and have that same set. Capri tools have been a surprising low cost tool with high quality. I also have a few other tools from them and same results - impressive.
I like my capri 6 point ratchet wrenches

If you ever work on a Mercedes you will find etorx. They're a little easier to strip than a hex bolt

Reactions: D60
Back