Need help setting up a new printer with a Linux/Mint laptop

My Canon inkjet printer that was nine years old gave up the ghost last week. It was easy to get my HP laptop connected to it when I converted my laptop to Mint. I assumed that since I was replacing it with another Canon (I got a laser printer) it would not be a problem. Mint can't identify and load the drivers for it. Mint suggests a generic driver but it doesn't work properly with the new printer. I can get the printer to start the printing process but it doesn't print the document correctly and it just keeps cycling through printer paper until I force it to stop. The printer came with a CD with the drivers on it but it's only for Windows 10 machines. I went to the Canon website and found the drivers for my new printer and downloaded it. The driver even had Linux in the description of the downloaded driver so I am assuming it's the right driver that should work on my printer. My problem is I don't know the process necessary to install the driver on my laptop. Does anyone know the process to install this driver on a Linux Mint laptop? Watching Youtube videos hasn't helped because they are presented in a fashion, by computer whiz techies, that makes the info presented way, way above my technical knowledge and experience.

What is the file name? Does it end with a .deb? If so, you could be able to double click it and open it with the software installer.
The file I downloaded from Canon is linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen and downloaded as a folder with several additional sub folders and files in it. It is sitting in my Downloads folder. The driver down-loader from Canon specifically says it's a Linux driver and is dated 01/2021. Following along the "add a printer" function in Mint, neither "search for driver function", currently within Mint now, or search, i'm assuming, the internet finds and installs the driver. The third option allows you to use a PPD (whatever that is). The download folder from Canon has a PPD folder which has a Debian sub-folder with 12 .deb files and a RPM sub-folder with 12 .rpm files. Selecting either one does nothing. The download folder also had an executable file in it. When I "run" it nothing happens. There is also an option to use the executable file in terminal mode. Choosing that does nothing. Not sure how to even go about using terminal mode with the executable file. I'm pretty sure the driver is in my downloads. I just don't know how to get Mint to recognize and make it available. Sorry for the ignorance here. I'm not a techie. It took me two weeks, with BITOGer's help, to get Mint installed and working on my laptop. I like Mint a lot but I always seem to run into problems like this. I'm guessing this printer can work on Mint if I can get this driver recognized. As always your help is much appreciated.

What model printer?
Sorry. I forgot to include that. It's a Canon ImageClass MF269DW.

Last edited:
Sorry. I forgot to include that. It's a Canon ImageClass MF269DW.
I ended up here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...69dw/imageclass-mf269dw?tab=drivers_downloads

At the "Drivers & Downloads" section you'll find but one option - "UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.30" with the "Operating System" field being populated with "Linux 64bit (Detected)". Use the drop-down to select "Linux 64bit" if it does not auto-detect your OS. I hit the SELECT button under the file which disclosed a DOWNLOAD button and away I went... (A dialogue box popped up on the web page with some "instructions". Please just "X" that out.)

I ended up with the file "linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12.tar.gz" in my Downloads folder. (I am using Ubuntu, which is extremely close to Mint. Mint *is* Ubuntu with some tweaks and what works on Ubuntu will work in Mint.) I right-clicked the file and chose "Extract Here" (the exact wording in Mint may differ) and ended up with a folder called "linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12".

Within that folder is a single folder called "linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen" and within that folder are several folders and **one file**: "install.sh".

Now, you will need to open a Terminal. When the Terminal opens please copy and paste this command:

Bash:
sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen/install.sh

(Copying and pasting into the Terminal could be a slight bit tricky: I often use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V throughout Windows and Linux **except for** the Terminal, which requires that you paste with Shift+Ctrl+V. You can still right click within the Terminal and choose "Paste".)

Here is what that command does: "sudo" means "DO this as the Super User" which means you're doing something that requires administrative privileges. "bash" tells the computer to execute the "install.sh" file and the rest of the gobbledegook is the path to the "install.sh" file.

You will first be prompted for your account password. After that, you may have a prompt or two to respond to and I am not sure that that will entail: I do not have that printer. :)

The "install.sh" script will do whatever it needs to do and then, lord willing, the next time you Add Printer it should auto-detect. Rebooting would not hurt in between the completion of the "install.sh" script and the initiation of the Add Printer process.

Last edited:
I ended up here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...69dw/imageclass-mf269dw?tab=drivers_downloads

At the "Drivers & Downloads" section you'll find but one option - "UFR II/UFRII LT Printer Driver for Linux V5.30" with the "Operating System" field being populated with "Linux 64bit (Detected)". Use the drop-down to select "Linux 64bit" if it does not auto-detect your OS. I hit the SELECT button under the file which disclosed a DOWNLOAD button and away I went... (A dialogue box popped up on the web page with some "instructions". Please just "X" that out.)

I ended up with the file "linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12.tar.gz" in my Downloads folder. (I am using Ubuntu, which is extremely close to Mint. Mint *is* Ubuntu with some tweaks and what works on Ubuntu will work in Mint.) I right-clicked the file and chose "Extract Here" (the exact wording in Mint may differ) and ended up with a folder called "linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12".

Within that folder is a single folder called "linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen" and within that folder are several folders and **one file**: "install.sh".

Now, you will need to open a Terminal. When the Terminal opens please copy and paste this command:

Bash:
sudo bash ~/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen/install.sh

(Copying and pasting into the Terminal could be a slight bit tricky: I often use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V throughout Windows and Linux **except for** the Terminal, which requires that you paste with Shift+Ctrl+V. You can still right click within the Terminal and choose "Paste".)

Here is what that command does: "sudo" means "DO this as the Super User" which means you're doing something that requires administrative privileges. "bash" tells the computer to execute the "install.sh" file and the rest of the gobbledegook is the path to the "install.sh" file.

You will first be prompted for your account password. After that, you may have a prompt or two to respond to and I am not sure that that will entail: I do not have that printer. :)

The "install.sh" script will do whatever it needs to do and then, lord willing, the next time you Add Printer it should auto-detect. Rebooting would not hurt in between the completion of the "install.sh" script and the initiation of the Add Printer process.
UC50,

I followed your instructions to the letter. I completely deleted everything I had already downloaded and started again with you instructions. Everything was as you explained. When I ran the string you provided, I kept getting the following response:

bash: /home/mike/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen/install.sh: No such file or directory

I know the downloaded file labeled linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12.tar.gz is sitting in my download folder. I did the "extract here" and ended up with an additional folder called linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen that contains the install.sh executable file. So tall of he you referenced files are definitely sitting in my downloads folder. Any ideas on why it wouldn't be working? Thanks

Mike

Maybe try running the command with "sh" instead of "bash"?:
Bash:
sudo sh ~/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen/install.sh
Thanks. Below is the response to that command:

sh: 0: Can't open /home/mike/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen/install.sh

It didn't say it couldn't find the file or directory which was the case before. Hopefully that's a plus and a path to get this to work?

Mike

Thanks. Below is the response to that command:

sh: 0: Can't open /home/mike/Downloads/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen-12/linux-UFRII-drv-v530-usen/install.sh

It didn't say it couldn't find the file or directory which was the case before. Hopefully that's a plus and a path to get this to work?

Mike
I am not sure I am inclined at all to use the word "plus" when talking about people who supply their driver installation as a shell script. This laziness on their part, bordering on contemptuousness, is why Linux gets a reputation as being "hard to use".

Would you please right click on install.sh and choose Properties, and in the dialogue window that pops up, look for a "Permissions" tab. On that tab ensure that "Allow executing file as program" (or some similar language) is checked. Once it's checked, try running the command again.

Frankly, I would email and call Canon if you have the time. They deserve to have their Tech Support resources used to walk you through this. maybe then it will occur to them that supplying their drivers in a normal format might be a good move.

That model has an Ethernet port. Linux usually works best with networked printers since they have a standard interface without needing proprietary USB drivers. If it is practical, connect the printer to your router with Ethernet (or wifi, which may require conneting the printer to a Windows computer for initial set up) then search for network printers.

Use the file manager to open the uncompressed directory and confirm that there is an install.sh file. Then on the CLI, manually cd to that directory, use ls to confirm the file is there, then run ./install.sh. The ./ tells the shell to run a command or script directly from the present directory rather than look for it in the standard places where system scripts are.

Since it was a tar file, the permissions should be properly set already. If the file exists but doesn't have execute permission, you'll get a different error "Permission denied" trying to execute it from the CLI.

Last edited:
That model has an Ethernet port. Linux usually works best with networked printers since they have a standard interface without needing proprietary USB drivers. If it is practical, connect the printer to your router with Ethernet (or wifi, which may require conneting the printer to a Windows computer for initial set up) then search for network printers.

Use the file manager to open the uncompressed directory and confirm that there is an install.sh file. Then on the CLI, manually cd to that directory, use ls to confirm the file is there, then run ./install.sh. The ./ tells the shell to run a command or script directly from the present directory rather than look for it in the standard places where system scripts are.

Since it was a tar file, the permissions should be properly set already. If the file exists but doesn't have execute permission, you'll get a different error "Permission denied" trying to execute it from the CLI.
mk378,

Thank you. I followed your suggestions. After fumbling around for a while trying to use the terminal mode, I was able to change to the directory where the install.sh file was located but when trying the ls command it said the file wasn't there. After reading the error message (the file was not in the directory) I moved the install.sh file out of the folder that it was in and moved it to the directory as a stand a lone file. I ran the ls install.sh command and it found it. Ecstatic, I ran the ./install.sh command and it installed the driver. I went through the add a printer process. Several test pages later it appears to be working as it should. I'll be trying the copy and scan functions later today to verify they work as well. I can't thank you enough.

Mike

I am not sure I am inclined at all to use the word "plus" when talking about people who supply their driver installation as a shell script. This laziness on their part, bordering on contemptuousness, is why Linux gets a reputation as being "hard to use".
uc50,

I couldn't agree more. I had to have a printer. Thanks to you and mk378 it appears I now have one. I was almost to the point of buying the cheapest Windows machine I could find to try and get this this printer up and running. Thankfully, I don't think that will happen now.

Mike

I struggled for years with Linux and Canon printers. I really liked Canon printers for my photography printing. Finally gave up and bought an HP printer. Canon printers are not fully supported in Linux where as HP's are widely supported.

Back