Need help selecting new rotors and pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my own brake job with cheap Chinese rotors and Wagner semi-metallic pads. Well, 2000 miles later the brakes are pulsating like crazy and the rotors are warped; they cannot be turned.

Can you guys recommend a decent set of rotors and pads that will last awhile, assuming the rest of the braking system is in good order. When I get the new pads and rotors I am going to this time get a torque wrench for even torquing of the lug nuts to eliminate that. Calipers are a little rusty but are not hanging, already checked that out.

I don't want anything crazy expensive like Brembos. What are considered good rotor and pad combos that aren't Chinese made and of poor quality?

Car is a 2000 Saturn SL1 and I'd like to order them from RockAuto.com because their prices are real hard to beat.

Thanks!

Last edited:
check out Car Quest brake parts.A local front end shop around town uses Car Quest brake parts.He has been in business for about 25 years.One of the few good and honest shop owners left around town.

I looked at napa and found their "ultra premium" rotors for 36 each. the runout is half what their standard rotor is. I looked at rockauto but most of the items listed there are likely to be the cheapest quality from each supplier, based on the cost. perhaps the acdelco from them is ok. basically I would stay away from the cheapest. as far as pads, your choice - although I tend to go for mid to high end pads.

There was a nice discussion at Saturnfansforums:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141881

OldNuc starting in post #7 has some Rock Auto recommendations. Actually, I bought some boots for my fronts brakes based on his recommendations. My drivers side front tends to wear faster and was hanging at one time. New pins did not help. But, I have over 50,000 miles on AutoZone Duralast pads and rotors. Half way through my second set of pads. No complaints, but they dust a lot. OldNuc has different recommendations. Since I am just learning I tend to just follow what the knowledgeable people say.
LOL.gif

I've always had good luck with the cheapest rotors, only downside is that the non-friction surfaces are not corrosion resistant, so it rusts. Not a big deal unless your wheels expose the hub of the brake rotor.

As far as quality goes, EBC makes a good standard brake rotor and can be found at http://www.autopartswarehouse.com. I'm not sure the country of origin, but the whole thing is zinc coated (corrosion resistant), and guaranteed for a year.

I've used Bosch Ceramics (found on Ebay) and Hawk HPS (a little more expensive) on my old Saturn. The Bosch ceramics were incredible, little or no brake dust and equal stopping power as the Hawk's.

I believe that for a little more $, you can get better pads than the OEM-equivalent semi-metallic type pads that most manufacturers offer. You just have to do the research.

http://www.tirerack.com also offers some great brake pads and rotors at decent prices.

When I buy pads and rotors, I head for the local Farm Fleet supply store and buy whatever they sell.

Ooooh.... They sell Raybestos at dirt cheap prices. No wonder I keep going back there over and over again.

I recently bought Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotors and Akabono pads through Rock Auto.

I have only had them on for about 3 months, but really like them so far.

Raybestos has 3 levels and Advanced Technology is their best.

For my vehicle, they also had the Ceramic pads in Monroe and Raybestos "Advanced Technology" brands, which look good.

Check out Amazon for pads. I got front and rear Hawk HPS pads for less than other vendors. Also see if they have the Brembo blanks for your application.

Rotor warp on the S-Series is an unfortunate part of owning one. Short of being extremely gentle with the car, you get warped rotors, regardless of the brand you buy of the fortune you pay for them. Second note use ceramic composition pads on these cars, major difference in stopping power or the stock semi-mets.

Many great responses to my questions; thank you for taking the time to assist me.

I'll hit up the link back to Saturnfans and see what kind of setup those guys are running.

Also, I'll check out the possibility of running a ceramic pad.

I wonder why some cars are hard on rotors and some are not. I was of the opinion that a very small car (made a lot out of plastic body panels even) wouldn't stress and put heat on rotors as much as a heavier car. Go figure!

Have used thermoquiets and am now using Duralast Cmax Gold Ceramic pads with Napa Rotors. Duralasts are giving no dust, super quiet and excellent response. I havent tried the Napa ceramics.. but I know i love these Duralasts.

I replaced the cheapo OEM rotors on my Tribute with Centric premium. They are nicely machined with a anti-corrosion plating. About $50 each, discount. The pads are Bendix CQ ceramic which seem fine, although the OEM pads had a bit better inital bite and slightly lest dusting.

I chose a "middle of the road" solution with good quality OEM-plus products. Don't think that slotted/drilled rotors are worth the extra coast on most cars. Some of them also have cracking problems around the holes and slots.

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Many great responses to my questions; thank you for taking the time to assist me.

I'll hit up the link back to Saturnfans and see what kind of setup those guys are running.

I wonder why some cars are hard on rotors and some are not. I was of the opinion that a very small car (made a lot out of plastic body panels even) wouldn't stress and put heat on rotors as much as a heavier car. Go figure!

Saturn_Fan - I need to do a full brake job on my (new to me) '01 SL1 this week.

Let me know what you do.....

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

Saturn_Fan - I need to do a full brake job on my (new to me) '01 SL1 this week.

Let me know what you do.....

Thanks!

You bet I will!

In the meantime, after some more research at Saturn fans, I really like this combo:

Rotors: Centric brand

Pads: Wagner Thermoquiet

The member over there, OldNuc really knows his stuff and highly recommends the Centric rotors.

I really need a torque wrench. Wondering if I could get by using a Harbor Freight special.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: crinkles
would you fellas say slotted discs are worth a 55% premium in cost over regular disc rotors?

Not worth it on a daily driver in my opinion.

As far as the original question, I won't be much help for the budget minded, I tend to buy the more expensive components. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for when it comes to brakes. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back