Need help making my mind up BMW LL-01 / B46 engine - mindlock

One more for LL04 - VW502.00/505.01
Not necessarily. VW 502.00 is basically full saps. So it is true it could have VW502.00 and LL04, but it is more very flexible SAPS levels of VW specification that creates that scenario.
VW505.01 is superseded by VW511.00, so I didn’t mention.

I managed to pry the oil used by the dealership out of them. 0W20 STP Full Synthetic. I was planning to change at 5k, does anyone think I should go ahead and change it early? Currently at 3000 on this oil, have Valvoline 5W40 Euro and Mann filter in stock in my garage.
What? You sure about that?

So a BMW dealership used an oil in a BMW that doesn't have the required BMW approval?

If so I'd report them to BMW USA. And find a different dealership.
Not a BMW dealership - which is why I was concerned about what kind of oil they put in the car in the first place.
What? You sure about that?
Yes, this is exactly what they replied via email "We used 5.6 quarts of STP 0W-20 full synthetic."

EDIT: Another thought, the quality of the filter will have me losing sleep as well.... doubt if they used STP 0W20 oil that they used an OEM filter, could have been one of inferior quality.

Last edited:
Not a BMW dealership - which is why I was concerned about what kind of oil they put in the car in the first place.

Yes, this is exactly what they replied via email "We used 5.6 quarts of STP 0W-20 full synthetic."

EDIT: Another thought, the quality of the filter will have me losing sleep as well.... doubt if they used STP 0W20 oil that they used an OEM filter, could have been one of inferior quality.
Change it! OFH in B48/58 is known to disintegrate oil filter of lower quality. You could have bottom part of filter stuck in OFH and then you will have to change OFH.
Keep that email. I will do some checking.

Change it! OFH in B48/58 is known to disintegrate oil filter of lower quality. You could have bottom part of filter stuck in OFH and then you will have to change OFH.
Who the hell uses STP oil in a BMW? Where did you take the car to get the oil changed? I defintely would not go back there. I agree with edyvw, change it out immediately with ll-01.

And it is a 14 hour job to replace the OFH if the filter tears. Ugh.

Who the hell uses STP oil in a BMW? Where did you take the car to get the oil changed? I defintely would not go back there. I agree with edyvw, change it out immediately with ll-01.
Carlotz in Monroe, NC - apparently. I didn't take it anywhere to get it done, I only do oil changes myself. They told me when I purchased the car that they had just changed it. I assumed they had done it correctly, but as I started the journey of investigating the best fluids and filter to do it myself it made me start second guessing if the dealership did it correctly.
And it is a 14 hour job to replace the OFH if the filter tears. Ugh.
Is this sarcasm, or does it really take that long? I see that it is buried down in the lower right rear near the firewall, doesn't look easy to change the housing.

Carlotz in Monroe, NC - apparently. I didn't take it anywhere to get it done, I only do oil changes myself. They told me when I purchased the car that they had just changed it. I assumed they had done it correctly, but as I started the journey of investigating the best fluids and filter to do it myself it made me start second guessing if the dealership did it correctly.

Is this sarcasm, or does it really take that long? I see that it is buried down in the lower right rear near the firewall, doesn't look easy to change the housing.
He’s a BMW tech, and I believe the estimate is realistic

Pretty typical I'm sure. They go with the viscosity only and don't worry about approvals etc. It will be fine.

Pretty typical I'm sure. They go with the viscosity only and don't worry about approvals etc. It will be fine.
I’m sure it’ll be fine, but for 30 dollars and 30 mins to provide peace of mind is worth it

Sadly, that’s the truth. You can only see the cap when you remove the engine cover, the total OFH is huge. Have to remove the intake manifold with integral air/water intercooler. Then the real fun starts. We have had a couple filters tear requiring OFH replacement. Would not risk using a cheap filter.

Well, thanks for the wealth of great knowledge guys. I'll knock the oil change out this weekend, and have enough in stock for one more Valvoline/Mann filter change after that - and tons of knowledge if I feel I need to switch, but for the $20/qt the Valvoline European 5w40 costs, 5k OCI and mainly highway miles, I think it'll serve just fine.

Well, thanks for the wealth of great knowledge guys. I'll knock the oil change out this weekend, and have enough in stock for one more Valvoline/Mann filter change after that - and tons of knowledge if I feel I need to switch, but for the $20/qt the Valvoline European 5w40 costs, 5k OCI and mainly highway miles, I think it'll serve just fine.
I would love to see some pictures of the car and the oil change :)

I’m sure it’ll be fine, but for 30 dollars and 30 mins to provide peace of mind is worth it
I agree 100% but certainly not a drop everything you doing right now type of situation was my point.

I fear even that is overly optimistic. All they care is if the potential buyer pulls the stick he sees clean oil.

Back