need help!!! from 5.5 gen maxima owners or experts

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 weeks ago I change out my oil filter o-ring and rusting cooling line. Now i forgot to add the gallon of antifreeze that drained out and took the car for a test drive. The maxima went into limp mode and shut off on me. I let it sit for a minute and started the car up barely. Had to repeat this 3 times cause the temp gauge almost red lined. Got back home let the car cool off and topped off the coolant. Everything was fine except fot the CEL and pinging noise. Took her to AZ and got a read. CAM sensor position b. But the engine ran fine, silky smooth. Cleared the codes and never looked back.

Now 2 days ago my pops came home and said their is a problem. CEL was on and when i started the car up, Boy it was shaking.She also had hesitation and bad vibrations on accelaration. CEL would bling when driving.
Took the car to work and hooked the scanner. Cylinder 1 miss.
Fine,I bought a new coil and a new plug just in case. This morning I did the work of replacing the coil and plug. Noticed the old coil had residue on it and the plug was covered in oil.Put her back together and started her up. Seemed fine on start up. But when i put her in reverse, Boy the vibrations came back and the pinging. Not as severe but still present. Took it for a read and it still said cylinder 1 miss. Now it's not as bad as it was but noticible. Cleared the codes,put some heat water remover in the tank. and drove back home. the Cel came back on then blinked 5 times i believe. then went off on the first red light. So now it just blinks when i accelerate but goes off on stops or cruising speed.

Im mad and a bit frustrated. I just did a tune up and VC gaskets on her in july. And removing the intake this morning for a coil pack for barely any improvement in performence.

Fuel injector or leaky plug tube seals? Or is it both? Anyone had this issue before?

It sounds like maybe your valve cover gaskets are leaking (common) and that is causing the oil in the spark plug wells to give you your misfire.

I would look into getting the newer 3.5 valve covers, (I think 2004 and up) and replace those, and any of the other potentially damaged coils/plugs and go from there.

I replaced my oil cooler hardline as well when I had my 2002 Maxima, they are a bad corrosion weakness for the 5.5 gens, glad you replaced yours before it let go on the highway on you.

the gaskets are new. im thinking the tube seals are gone. Are they intergrated with the covers? My [censored] luck. I do not have the money for the new covers. Or the overheating caused the rear cover to pop off? im gonna try and tighten it.

EDIT>>>>>..... $40 for each valve cover. plus another 2-4 hours of my time replacing them. IM kicking my self in the [censored] right. i should have replaced them 6 months ago when i had them off while doing the tune up. And i just spent 2 hours replacing the coil.

however i do really appreciate the help and advice from the members here. thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back