Need help figuring out the difference between Amsoil products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between "SAE 5W-30 XL-7500 Synthetic Motor Oil" and "SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil" ? They seem to cost about the same per quart.

quote:

Q: AMSOIL will be using a different formula for its XL-7500 Motor Oils. Why did AMSOIL change the formula?

A: Our XL-7500 oils are the oils of choice in the retail oil change market, and primarily because of warranty concerns the customers in this market require API-certified oils. In order to obtain API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification and still remain cost-competitive with the other oils sold at retail oil change outlets, we had to change to Group III basestocks. To obtain API certification with our top tier basestocks would have priced our Dealers out of the market.

Amsoil XL-7500 series is a group III base oil recommended for 7500 mile drain intervals. THis is an API SL certified oil

Regular Amsoil is a Group IV (PAO) base oil with a recommend drain interval of 1 year / 25,000 miles.

Obviously I would choose (and do choose) the regular 5w-30 for a little bit more. My vehicle isn't under warranty & I don't care about API certifications.

So...aside from warrantee coverage, is there any advantage to the XL-7500? Price is about the same.

quote:

Originally posted by Snatchface:
So...aside from warrantee coverage, is there any advantage to the XL-7500? Price is about the same.

Nope, no advantage at all, the ASL Amsoil 5w30 is a much better product.

Very cool. This is the plan for my new Honda V6 6-Speed. Manual recommends 5W20. Aside from warrantee issues, is this a good choice?

quote:

Originally posted by Snatchface:
Very cool. This is the plan for my new Honda V6 6-Speed. Manual recommends 5W20. Aside from warrantee issues, is this a good choice?

If you are looking for a lube that is close to the 5w20 take a peek at the TSO 0w30. This is what Amsoil usually recommends as a replacement to the 5w20 for folks that would like to do extended drains.

Also note as far as warrenty goes. I would bet that a conventional base 5w20 would probably shear up to an 30wt within 3,000 miles. So say if you do have a warrenty problem, it would be pretty hard for them to determine the beginning viscosity, unless it was say a 50wt.

I don't so much care about getting "close to 5W20" as I do getting the best protection for my engine. Still recommend the TSO?

BTW - When you say TSO do you mean their "Series 2000" 0w30? That's the only 0w30 i see on the store site.

[ April 29, 2003, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: Snatchface ]

TSO is the code for their 0W30 Series 2000 fully synthetic motor oi.

I would recommend the ASL 5W30. It's a full synthetic of PAO and TMP esters.

Very nice. Thanks for the answers. Gonna load up mine and the wife's cars.

On another forum someone told me that I should run Dino in my new car until about 10K miles then switch to syn. Has something to do with break in and wanting more wear early on to get things to seat properly. Do you guys agree with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back