Need help ASAP with Magnefine!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hooked up a Magnefine to my cooler lines, but I don't know if it installed correctly. This is for my 06 Ford Ranger. I *think* the fluid flows from the trans, to the top of the radiator, out the bottom of the rad, through an external cooler, and back to the trans. BUT I'M NOT SURE. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS?? Does it go to the external cooler first, then the bottom of the rad, out the top and back to the trans???

And I already tried disconnecting the cooler lines and starting the engine, but fluid just flows out of BOTH lines.
54.gif

Whats the worst that would happen if I installed the Magnefine backwards?

I think you have it backwards. Should go the cooler first then the radiator. The top line at the radiator is the in. The out is also the line closest to the front of the transmission. Sorry don't know specifics to the Ranger but it's held true with the other's I've worked on. If put in backwards it'll go into bypass mode.

Disconnect both lines from the magnefine. Have someone hold them. Start the engine. You will know when they yell at you which direction fluid flow is. Then reference the arrow on the magnefine and life is good!

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Disconnect both lines from the magnefine. Have someone hold them. Start the engine. You will know when they yell at you which direction fluid flow is. Then reference the arrow on the magnefine and life is good!
Yep..by the way it's a nice little in-line filter.

Last edited:
I am not up on the ranger.....my FORD windstar flow is out of the transmission, into the radiator cooler through the TOP connector.....out of the radiator cooler through the BOTTOM connector, then through the FACTORY installed auxillary cooler (if present) and back into the transmission.
Aftermarket cooler could be installed either way....but the factory cooler is AFTER the in-radiator standard cooler on the windstar.....so the fluid flows from the auxillary cooler to the transmission.

From looking at the Magnefine filter.....a picture of the cartridge is here...
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2122661670011220610faXMui#commentForm

The fluid flows IN from the right....and the bypass valve is in the center surface of the right hand end of the cartridge......so I do NOT think that it will go into bypass mode if it is installed backward.....
The bypass valve only opens by pressure INWARD on the right hand surface of the cartridge.

Installed backward...the fluid will flow into the center of the cartridge....and out through the filter pleats......which would not have the support as with the inner tube support.. (as can be seen in THIS picture http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2155859830011220610OaBtsC ).....and you would NOT have bypass protection.

You don't need to run the engine. Disable the engine by pulling the coil wire or injection fuse, crank the engine, and note the direction of ATF flow.

I tried that already, like I said in my first post. I watched the fluid come out of the lines myself, and the fluid was coming out of both equally.

Doesn't matter though. I confirmed that the fluid flows into the radiator first, so I had it hooked up right to begin with.
thumbsup2.gif

Its a good idea when installing a Magnefine to only connect the inlet hose and shove an empty water bottle over the outlet nipple. Start the engine for say 5 seconds and see if there is any ATF in the water bottle. Better if you have someone to watch.

If things look good, install the outlet hose and you are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back