Need Help - 97 Civic Rear wheel cylinder bolt sizes?

JC1

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here know the bolt sizes that secure the rear wheel cylinders to the drum on a 97 Honda Civic (Non ABS)? I check on some Honda forums, but saw different answers. I prefer you guys anyways!

I saw M6 * 12 or M10 1.0 on other forums.

Thanks Guys.

I'm not looking forward to trying to remove 23 year old bolts from these things. Will get plenty of AFT Acetone mix and the wire brush before I try to break them loose.

You may wish to consider replacing the cylinders too since they are 23 years old. Then it doesn’t matter if the bolts break off or not.

I’ve had a lot more trouble removing the short brake pipe than I have those bolts. Honda may or may not have the pipes anymore so you may have to make up replacements yourself.

You may wish to consider replacing the cylinders too since they are 23 years old. Then it doesn’t matter if the bolts break off or not.

I’ve had a lot more trouble removing the short brake pipe than I have those bolts. Honda may or may not have the pipes anymore so you may have to make up replacements yourself.

Yes I ordered the cylinders and rear rubber hoses this morning from Rockauto. Some guy online was doing the same repair and he screwed up the holes on the backing plate of the drum, so he needed to replace the backing plate too. That's something I want to avoid if possible.

I had one of the metal lines break a few years ago and I learned how to create a line with the flaring tool. I've been working on the rear suspension parts (lower control arms, upper arms, compensator arms and replaced the trailing arm bushing). Got that all back together and the rear hose had split. Instead of having one thing go after another, I'm replacing everything that I can. I've owned this car since new and are keeping this car.

I'm not aiming to give you more work. However, a 22 yr old car in Ontario is likely to have some seriously rusted lines. Its a fun job if you have the time.

I'm not aiming to give you more work. However, a 22 yr old car in Ontario is likely to have some seriously rusted lines. Its a fun job if you have the time.
I took the plastic cage off of them already. They have some corrosion but are soaked in fluid film. It will be on the project list but not right at the moment.

I took the plastic cage off of them already. They have some corrosion but are soaked in fluid film. It will be on the project list but not right at the moment.
Yes when I replaced the fuel and brake lines on the Accord earlier this summer they were definitely more corroded under those clips. The line that rusted through was behind the fuel tank though, it probably got a lot of salt spray back there.

Reactions: JC1
Back