Need Dexos1 Gen3 5W-30 Recommendation

Buying a new GM truck with the 2.7L Turbo 4-cylinder in the next couple of months. Never had a brand new car or a car with a turbo before and could use a
recommendation. It takes 5W-30 Dexos1-Gen3.

I searched the forums and also looked through some limited VOA/UOA's and didn't really come up with much. I know there are a few oils out there that are approved for more stringent specs, like MB 229.52 and others, but for the sake of the warranty I have to get an oil that is licensed and approved to meet Dexos1 Gen3....at least for 60-100k depending on the warranty.

What is the best Dexos1 Gen3 oil these days?

A few thoughts:

1. A VOA/UOA isn't going to show comparative oil quality, especially not within the same license. Not anywhere near the tool to do that.

2. If an oil with a dexos 1 Gen 3 license also has some manufacturer approval it doesn't necessarily mean it is better than one without that approval. Although some of the requirements no doubt overlap it can also mean that the blender did not wish to market that oil to those users.

3. Warranty is not predicated on this license, it is predicated on an oil that harms or damages the engine. But it is not a bad or worthless license either.

4. There is no best. Pick the least expensive one from this list you can find:

Any Dexos1 Gen 3 oil will work. Blackstone Labs has noted that when appropriately spec'ed oils are used, there is no discernable difference in wear rate among brands.

It can be Supertech or Royal Purple, or anything in between. Pick the color of the rainbow that appeals most to you, or you can pick whichever oil is on rebate. What really matters is that quality filters are used and maintenance is done regularly.

Quaker State Full Synthetic checks all the boxes and is usually available cheaper than Supertech Full Synthetic without any sales or rebates.

What is the best Dexos1 Gen3 oil these days?
Define "best"

but for the sake of the warranty I have to get an oil...
No you don't. Look up "Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act"

Any oil that says Dexos1 Gen3 on the shelf at Walmart will be fine too. I only mention the Dexos part again because I'm 99.9% confident that every 5W-30 on the shelf at WM covers that.

Bought today at Napa on special at 7,49/qt. Not great but considering a single qt, inflation,etc I thought it was fair.

Attachments

• 20230307_112446.jpg
    20230307_112446.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 20230307_112459.jpg
    20230307_112459.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 117
My opinion : Nowadays any turbo GDI engine with mixed city / highway driving should be on a 4,000 mile / 6-month oil change schedule . That said , using Quaker State Full Synthetic , Valvoline Advanced , Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 in 5W30 would serve you well . For break in after 1,500 ~ 2,000 miles I would use Quaker State Full Synthetic with its high moly content for the first few oil changes - then use one of the above D1 / Gen 3 rated oils ... Again , you are only going to be driving 4,000 miles max with a turbo if you plan on keeping it once the loan is paid off , so don't overspend on a D1 / Gen 3 rated oil . As for oil filters - I have used Fram Ultra oil filters for two 4K mile OCI's - then I change the oil filter out for a new Fram Ultra . That brings my oil filter costs down to $5.50 ea. per oil change interval - the Fram oil filter is rated for 20K miles , so it could in fact probably go longer but changing out a Fram Ultra every other oil change when I'm only going 4, 000 miles max is the best value for me .

Whatever D1 G3 is on sale or has a rebate. I used to be a faithful Valvoline user then Mobil 1. The more I learned about oil and the more analysis sheets I read the less brand loyalty I have. Right now I have a variety of GM oil, Kirkland oil and a jug of Valvoline. All bought on sale.

My oldest son bought a 2.7L Silverado in the late fall. For Christmas I bought him 2 jugs of Mobil 1 5W30 and a filter. The filter was on sale and the oil had a rebate on it. I always buy when anything is on sale, especially if I dont need it right away.

You've got the whole dart 🎯 board and wall covered in Kirkland 😂😆 how possibly could you see anything else.
I have 5-quarts of Mobil EP 5W-30 too. I was tempted by the last rebate which was not worth the effort. I buy mainly off the price for a product that meets an industry certification. I try not to bounce around too much which is easier these days than it used to be, but I'm not brand loyal. I've used them all.

Last edited:
Do you have a vehicle for it, or is it a stash for a car, suv or truck you might buy?
The fleet:

2011 Ford F-150 with the 3.7L
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6 Pentastar
2014 Kia Rio 1.6L
2017 Kia Forte 1.8L
2020 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L
2017 Kawasaki Z900 0.948L
2022 Orion 250L 250cc

I standardized on 5W-30 for all the four-wheel vehicles, Rotella 15W-40 for the motorcycles. In our climate (warm year-round PNW), it works well.

The fleet:

2011 Ford F-150 with the 3.7L
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6 Pentastar
2014 Kia Rio 1.6L
2017 Kia Forte 1.8L
2020 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L
2017 Kawasaki Z900 0.948L
2022 Orion 250L 250cc

I standardized on 5W-30 for all the four-wheel vehicles, Rotella 15W-40 for the motorcycles. In our climate (warm year-round PNW), it works well.
I was just wondering, because the thread starter is engine oil shopping for a truck he hasn't bought yet.
I bought a 4x5L box of 5w30 Dexos 1 gen 3 API SP Petro-Canada for a 2022 Acadia 3.6L.
Direct from the bulk dealer it was cheaper than Costco by a dollar a litre.

I was just wondering, because the thread starter is engine oil shopping for a truck he hasn't bought yet.
I bought a 4x5L box of 5w30 Dexos 1 gen 3 API SP Petro-Canada for a 2022 Acadia 3.6L.
Direct from the bulk dealer it was cheaper than Costco by a dollar a litre.
So I’m in your boat as well (Acadia 3.6). What blows my mind is the idea that we (high feature engine guys) had once been the oil dil·et·tantes in searching for an oil to make the timing chains completely happy. No more. Now it’s the small engine turbo people—thanks to manufacturers. Idk, friend at work just had like$5000 work on an ecoboost ford truck. Warranty, sure but phasers and turbos and sensors, oh my.

Back