Need an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to switch from Valvoline MaxLife to their Durablend. Ever since I started using ML, it seemed to make my MPG drop. Would Durablend be a good oil to use in my 3.0L Mitsubishi engine that sees 50/50 highway and city driving with 154,000 on the clock?

Maxlife is known to drop MPG's some, not a lot. It's not an energy saving oil as most others are. It's meant to solve a specific issue.

Durablend would increase MPG's to what it used to be as it is not as "thick" as Maxlife and the packs are different.

It's a mix of Synpower/Whitebottle(20% synth or less). Checking around google others experience the mileage issues with MaxLife as well, but its a very good oil.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Maxlife is known to drop MPG's some, not a lot. It's not an energy saving oil as most others are. It's meant to solve a specific issue.

Checking around google others experience the mileage issues with MaxLife as well, but its a very good oil.

I cannot tell any MPG difference whatsoever after starting to use MaxLife. I am not disputing there may be some tiny bit for others, but I can say for me, zero difference.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Anies

Checking around google others experience the mileage issues with MaxLife as well, but its a very good oil.

I cannot tell any MPG difference whatsoever after starting to use MaxLife. I am not disputing there may be some tiny bit for others, but I can say for me, zero difference.

There is a measurable difference. If there wasn't, it would have achieved an energy conserving rating. It is not labeled as such because it was proven in lab testing to not produce as good of mileage as the base oil it needed to surpass.

Last edited:
From Valvoline's website:

#

My owner's manual says to only use motor oil featuring the American Petroleum Institute (API) starburst. I don't see it on the MaxLife bottle. Is it still ok to use in my car?

MaxLife is formulated with specialized additives that help fight the problems typically found in higher mileage engines. Because MaxLife's formula is focused for maximum performance in stopping the four major causes of engine breakdown - Leaks, Deposits, Sludge, and Friction - it was not formulated to exceed API criteria for fuel economy (also known as the API starburst on packaging labels). However, the difference between average fuel economy results for MaxLife and other motor oils that meet the API criteria is still very minimal. More importantly, if you want the extra protection that MaxLife offers then you can use MaxLife in any vehicles that specifies enhanced fuel economy motor oils (API starburst).

No discernible difference in my experiences.

I'm going to try Durablend since its on sale for $18 with a pure one filter and 5 quarts. Not bad at all!

EDIT: When Maxlife mileage nears 3000, my gas mileage drops. When it's still fresh (500-2000m) I can usually get around 110 per quarter tank and with my last fill up I was only able to get 73.3 and that was with the oil at 3003 miles

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back