Need advise/input on tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently (a couple of Christmases ago) purchased a set of OZ Fittipaldi Indy 15x7's to replace the gaudy 16x7.5 Borbet Type C wheels. The 16's were ok, but were HEAVY and the curbing combined with the centering rings getting worn I decided to try a different look.

The stock size on this car (as well as the current Michelin's) is 195/65/14.
Since the new wheels are 15's I have to decide on a bigger size.
I can run 195/60/15's which will keep the speedo consistent but knowing that BMW's "overstate" their speedo's, I'd rather choose a tire size slightly larger in diameter to "slow down" the speedo (195/65/15 possibly) . This car is and never will be a track car as long as it's in my possession. I'd like to stay narrower as I like the look (looks period correct behind factory splash guards) better fuel economy, and gives better performance than a wider tire (see link below for more info). Despite being wider I initially wanted the BF Goodrich Radial TA's with the white lettering from Tire Rack but finding those tires in Canada is turning out to be impossible.

Also comes the question of all season vs. summer tires.
Considering I don't plan on driving during any inclement weather, I really don't need all season.
So If I go with summer tires, will I compromise comfort and get something that'll wear out and be noisy?

thanks in advance

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

Why not 205/55R15?

Think that was the OE tire size. If you're not driving it in the cold I would go with a summer tire. IME, summer tires are quieter than their all season counterparts as long as you avoid directional, \\// pattern tires.

Sounds like you are a good candidate for Michelin passenger car tires. The slightly larger size will provide a better look while preserving OEM performance.

For 195/60-15, Quattro Tires has the Vredestein Sportrac 5 in 195/60-15 for about $100 each.

For 195/65-15, get the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance

Summer tires are not necessarily noisy. In fact, many of them are quieter than all-season tires since the tread is smoother (they don't need any sipes since they're not intended to see snow)

I would recommend 195/65R15 Continental Purecontact. Don’t believe the 70k mile tread wear rating but the sets I’ve sold the customers have been pleased with grip and noise level.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb_13
I would recommend 195/65R15 Continental Purecontact. Don’t believe the 70k mile tread wear rating but the sets I’ve sold the customers have been pleased with grip and noise level.

+1

If comfort is top priority you can also try Hankook H724s.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
gives better performance than a wider tire (see link below for more info)

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I wouldn't draw such conclusions from such a flawed study. From what I read going slightly wider can improve traction, but putting the widest tires you can find can give you less grip.

Allow me to comment.

Traction is more or less a function of the tread compound. Plus sizing (by itself) doesn't affect that.

What plus sizing does is reduce the height of the sidewall and that in turn improves the reaction time between when the steering wheel is turned and the car starts to move. One way to look at it is that it improves the feel. But you can get the same effect by increasing the inflation pressure - which many racers have found out - and trust me, if you have to choose, I'd pick a mopre precise feeling over ultimate grip!

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
gives better performance than a wider tire (see link below for more info)

I wouldn't draw such conclusions from such a flawed study. From what I read going slightly wider can improve traction, but putting the widest tires you can find can give you less grip.

Why do you think it is flawed?

Krzyś

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Why not 205/55R15?

Think that was the OE tire size. If you're not driving it in the cold I would go with a summer tire. IME, summer tires are quieter than their all season counterparts as long as you avoid directional, \\// pattern tires.

The majority of stock E30s ran on 14"/4-lug wheels.

205/55-15 was the OE size for the M3 and iX, which got bigger brakes/hubs and 5-lugs.

But there aren't many options for that size today. A lot more choices for a 15" 195 section tire.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Why not 205/55R15?

The majority of stock E30s ran on 14"/4-lug wheels.

205/55-15 was the OE size for the M3 and iX, which got bigger brakes/hubs and 5-lugs.

But there aren't many options for that size today. A lot more choices for a 15" 195 section tire.

Exactly.
OEM size was 195/65/14 on most e30's. In the 80's, anything less than 70 profile was considered "low profile/high performance".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back