Need Advice On Speaker Switcher for Dual Amps/4 Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to use a vintage Marantz stereo receiver just to play LP's and CD's, and use a newer Onkyo 5.1 surround sound receiver when watching movies from the DVD player.
Is there some sort of matrix type speaker switcher that has these inputs and outputs so that I can use my existing speakers with either receiver ?

- Speaker Wire Terminal Inputs from Receiver A: Front Channel Left & Right and Rear Channel Left & Right
- Speaker Wire Terminal Inputs from Receiver B: Front Channel Left & Right and Rear Channel Left & Right

Outputs From Switcher: Speaker Wire Terminals for Front Channel Left & Right and Rear Channel Left & Right

So if I wish to listen to LP's in 4 speaker stereo I would select the corresponding receiver for the source and it would pass through the sound to all four speakers and if I wish to watch movies in 5.1 Surround I would select the other receiver as the source, it would pass front sound to the front speakers and surround sound to the rear and the center channel output would function as normal as that speaker would be hard wired to the surround receiver only.

I'm seeing a lot of speaker switchers that allow two amplifiers as inputs, but they are only for stereo, i.e L&R only and do not have L/R and Front/Rear inputs. Suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
I assume you have A/B switching on the Marantz. It should possibly have an open circuit when no speaker is selected ( though GND may not be switched / lifted ).

If so then you would only have to isolate the speaker when using the Marantz from the HT receiver. A std A/B bpx should do it. or you could make a panel with some Home light switches (!)

If the HT has A/B capability and there is no R load measured at the A terminals - when A is not selected - then you can just wire to both amps.

Now I would be forgetful and blow something with that arrangement!

I suggest you just set up the vintage system elsewhere and it enjoy it. Plus you could use some nice Vintage Speakers like

KLH Model 6 or Or CIZAK model 1 or KEF Corelli

What Cartridge are you using? Hopefully not a SHURE V15mr or an Ortofon RED **

** vintage old M91ed with a special nude stylus is much better.

Last edited:
It's not really practical for me to set up a separate system in another room. I am running 4 vintage Advent Loudspeakers and my turntable is a Sony PSX-555 linear tracking model with an Ortofon Blue cartridge.
The Marantz receiver has outputs for two pairs of speakers, selectable as main, remote or both. I did a little online research last night and so far had no luck finding a switcher that will do what I need. I think the solution may be to use more than one switcher, although that will drive the cost up and take up valuable cabinet space. It is a fairly large room with a 20 foot ceiling and the use of 4 speakers really helps fill up the room with sound.

Last edited:
What Advents? I've worked with a few speaker designers and marketing exec in the Boston area over the past 40 years.

Including Roy Cizek, and through Mr. Joseph Quill with Dr. Godehard Guenther of ADS in Wilmington, MA., Then in the mid 2000's a bunch of cut-loose Boston Acoustics mechanical and plastics engineers back in Wilmington.
I was trying to get ADS to use a combination symmetrical damping and phase plug on their somewhat nasty 1" silk dome but they wouldn't have it.

Dome tweeters ain't "all that"

My issue with the new ortofon is it's more of a marketing exercise for new millennial Turntable crowd.

It's just the old OM micro body ( ala b&o) hidden inside a bunch of resonant plastic.

An old OM30 with a good nude elliptical or advanced profile fine line stylus will kill a BLACK.

Nude is the key.

Then a nice phono preamp like the Graham Slee Accession or on a budget pro-ject tube box DS

Thanks Overkill I will read up on the Coleman Audio A/B5.1 unit.
ARCOgraphite, my speakers are the walnut veneer Advent Loudspeakers with bullnose edges and the "fried egg" tweeters, circa 1978, bought new back then and have had the surrounds replaced. They probably need to have the crossovers rebuilt one of these days too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back