Need Advice on Oil 5W30 vs 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garak, yes I contacted local auto parts stores listed as distributors of this DELO product. They indicated they didn't have that particular oil and couldn't order it. I did see it on Amazon when I checked.

WobblyElvis - Since the 5W20 oil isn't as thick I thought it might cause the engine to use more oil. Not sure if that's a good assumption or not. I've also seen on here where some folks are recommending high mileage oil and was wondering if that helps prevent the problem of burning more oil?

Originally Posted By: Poppi
WobblyElvis - Since the 5W20 oil isn't as thick I thought it might cause the engine to use more oil. Not sure if that's a good assumption or not. I've also seen on here where some folks are recommending high mileage oil and was wondering if that helps prevent the problem of burning more oil?
I don't think I specified earlier but this is the 5.4L Triton V-8 engine.

As Garak pointed out, the Delo 5w30 is a good bit thicker than your standard run of the mill 5w30 including the thicker HM variants, so going with a typical 5w30 is already going thinner. My point being I'd find no consideration for a 5w20 at all in that scenario.

I'd stay with a 5w30 and try a good HM variant that runs a little thick for grade like Pennzoil HM or Castrol HM and I bet the thing will run like a top on it. Winter starts should be just fine too.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
If it were my truck i would imagine that DELO 5w30 hasnt been around very long and wonder what was used the other 13 yrs..then decide that in my ownership im going to run Xbrand 5WXX

In fact, that would be correct; it can't have been around that long. And, I've always been hesitant about using a synthetic in a vehicle that consumes oil.

Poppi: If you wanted the Delo variety, then I suggest you contact Chevron directly or check some trucking outfits (as in repair shops or dealers). A very similar alternative is Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w-30. I understand both these products aren't priced that great down south, but for some reason, they're very cheap up here.

In any case, there are plenty of options if you want to save a bit of money and not have to go on a big hunt when you need oil. One of the thicker HM variants mentioned could certainly be worth a try.

I recently purchased a 2002 F150 FX4 with 200K miles on it. The previous owner told me he ran full synthetic DELO 5W30 in it all year round. I've looked for this oil and cannot find it anywhere. The engine runs extremely well. Ford specs state to use 5W20 in the truck. Should I continue to just use a full synthetic 5W30 since it was used for 200K miles or should I switch to a 5W20 full synthetic? I was thinking of using Mobile 1 or Royal purple. Also, should I use a high mileage oil? Appreciate any advice.

Hey Poppi - Since you want to continue using a full synthetic motor oil, we wanted to reach out to you to see if you'd be interested in testing out Pennzoil Synthetics to experience how we stack up against the competition. Send us a private message with your contact info and we can get you started with a product sample and used oil analysis kit to be tested at an independent testing facility. Looking forward to hearing from you! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
I recently purchased a 2002 F150 FX4 with 200K miles on it. The previous owner told me he ran full synthetic DELO 5W30 in it all year round. I've looked for this oil and cannot find it anywhere. The engine runs extremely well. Ford specs state to use 5W20 in the truck. Should I continue to just use a full synthetic 5W30 since it was used for 200K miles or should I switch to a 5W20 full synthetic? I was thinking of using Mobile 1 or Royal purple. Also, should I use a high mileage oil? Appreciate any advice.

Hey Poppi - Since you want to continue using a full synthetic motor oil, we wanted to reach out to you to see if you'd be interested in testing out Pennzoil Synthetics to experience how we stack up against the competition. Send us a private message with your contact info and we can get you started with a product sample and used oil analysis kit to be tested at an independent testing facility. Looking forward to hearing from you! - The Pennzoil Team
Please provide your contact information and I will be happy to private message you back.

Poppi, this is the best advice/answer to your Q?'s. I would choose this option. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

Blue Oval - Do you use this oil in your vehicle? What has your experience been? Why is this the best option?

Please provide your contact information and I will be happy to private message you back.

To send a private message to Gena Fishbeck you click on her name then select send PM.

I would agree with BOF. You really can't go wrong with that offer. All Pennzoil products are excellent. Heck, if you find that your engine consumes a bit more oil than you prefer on a Pennzoil synthetic or that the products are too expensive, after the UOA program, you can always move to Pennzoil conventional or Pennzoil High Mileage and give those very cost effective options a shot.

If the OP doesn't go back to Chevron DELO, I just might do so myself. The Buick is due for an oil change. Has like 2,000 on it.

I'm thinking he told you a white lie and didn't use delo 5w30 full synthetic.

Blue Oval - Do you use this oil in your vehicle? What has your experience been? Why is this the best option?

I have used PU, PP, and PYB, in the past with no problems at all. The reason it's your best option is that Pennzoil is willing to give you their oil FREE (from what I gathered from their reply) to try in your engine, along with a UOA kit. They are wanting to see what condition your internal engine is in and are wanting to use the results as a study guide. That, and they can recommend the proper weight and type of oil you should be using in your engine.

Originally Posted By: gallydif

I'm thinking he told you a white lie and didn't use delo 5w30 full synthetic.
I have an oil change receipt with 5W30 on it, but it doesn't specify oil brand. He always changed the oil himself and bought the oil in high quantities since he used it in his work vehicles. I don't think Delo 5w30 full synthetic has been around for too many years. You may be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back