Need Advice on Oil 5W30 vs 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2002 F150 FX4 with 200K miles on it. The previous owner told me he ran full synthetic DELO 5W30 in it all year round. I've looked for this oil and cannot find it anywhere. The engine runs extremely well. Ford specs state to use 5W20 in the truck. Should I continue to just use a full synthetic 5W30 since it was used for 200K miles or should I switch to a 5W20 full synthetic? I was thinking of using Mobile 1 or Royal purple. Also, should I use a high mileage oil? Appreciate any advice.

5w-30 will work. High mile oil may not be needed but it wouldn't hurt if it makes you feel better . Maxlife gets praises I have never used it other than the trans fluid in power steering pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts were to just keep using the 5W30 since that what was used in the engine. The previous owner also changed the oil every 3,000 - 3,500 miles and indicated it uses a quart of oil about every 2,000-2,500 miles. There are no leaks on the ground so I'm assuming it's coming out the exhaust. I didn't know if using the high mileage oil might help stop this oil usage?

Poppi, what's specified is usually the best choice. However, if you want Delo 5w-30, which is a fine oil and certainly a suitable choice for your engine, your best bet would be the closest Chevron distributor. They'll get you the best price and they will have the product. The Chevron website would be your best bet to locate the distributor, since oil companies' distributors usually aren't under Chevron/Shell/Mobil and so forth in the phone book.

1) Since the owner always used 5W30, I'd just stick with 5W30.

2) The previous owner said the truck uses about 1 quart per oil change, burning the oil I assume since you say there are no leaks.

With the oil loss, I'd suggest Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic in 5W30 or Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend in 5W30. Both of these oils could help the oil usage situation.

Originally Posted By: Poppi
My thoughts were to just keep using the 5W30 since that what was used in the engine. The previous owner also changed the oil every 3,000 - 3,500 miles and indicated it uses a quart of oil about every 2,000-2,500 miles. There are no leaks on the ground so I'm assuming it's coming out the exhaust. I didn't know if using the high mileage oil might help stop this oil usage?

I retract my M1 High Mileage recommendation

If your changing that often just use conventional or blend high mileage, no reason to use a synthetic for short OCI's. I'd stick with the 5w-30 as well.

Thank you Merkava_4. I hadn't thought of that. Also Garak, I had never heard of DELO until I bought this truck. Tried to look up distributors in my area but when I called them, they couldn't get it. Will 5W30 offer more protection to my engine? I'm not that concerned about gas mileage because I don't the difference will be significant. I might be mistaken, I truly don't know, but I can sacrifice some gas mileage to prolong engine life.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Mobil 1 5w-30 High Mileage would be a good replacement if you can't find the Delo.

This was going to be my answer, Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30...it's freaking amazing.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 5w-30 High Mileage would be a good replacement if you can't find the Delo.

This was going to be my answer, Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30...it's freaking amazing.

What's so amazing about Mobil 1 High Mileage?

I think you should stay with the DELO 5W-30 if you can afford it. Switching the truck over to 5W-20 after 200,000 very happy miles would be a travesty in my book.

I think he should drain the oil and replace filter immediately, and replace with Motorcraft 5W-20 oil and Motorcraft filter. Run a 500 mile OCI to flush everything out, and go with another MC filter and 5W-20.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

What's so amazing about Mobil 1 High Mileage?

A synthetic that has extra seal conditioners, carry a stout additive package including extra ZDDP with Boron and moly.

The 10w30 is ACEA A3/B3 and has a 12 cSt KV100, making it perfect for all small engines calling for SAE30,5w30,10w30....just a really good product!

Originally Posted By: Poppi
Also Garak, I had never heard of DELO until I bought this truck. Tried to look up distributors in my area but when I called them, they couldn't get it. Will 5W30 offer more protection to my engine?

Were they actual Chevron distributors to whom you spoke? If they can't help, check a truck stop or even a couple local trucking firms. Up here at least, they tend to stock a lot of Chevron stuff at good prices.

Note that the Delo 5w-30 is a bit thicker than the ILSAC rated 5w-30 oils that would normally be used in your vehicle. And no, the gas mileage difference will not be significant. Additional protection, if any, won't be significant either, I would suggest. But, the Delo is a good oil and a bit thicker. It will be at least as thick as the Mobil 1 HM, but will also have reduced phosphorus and a nice high TBN, if one were to extend OCIs.

If you want to stick with Delo, perhaps their 10w-30 might be a little more cost effective for your shorter intervals. A high mileage oil would also be worth a shot. Note that if they're going to do something useful, they usually take a little while to start working. Too many guys jump ship on them after 3,000 miles and try something else, which doesn't help a lot.

If it were my truck i would imagine that DELO 5w30 hasnt been around very long and wonder what was used the other 13 yrs..then decide that in my ownership im going to run Xbrand 5WXX

If i were losing a quart every oil change I probably wouldnt run expensive synthetic oils until i found the problem.

So my first oil change would probably be PYB 5W30 and a good quality filter and keep an eye on everything and report back.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
1) Since the owner always used 5W30, I'd just stick with 5W30.

2) The previous owner said the truck uses about 1 quart per oil change, burning the oil I assume since you say there are no leaks.

With the oil loss, I'd suggest Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic in 5W30 or Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend in 5W30. Both of these oils could help the oil usage situation.

This is what I would do. Though you can use 5w-30, 5w-20, or 0w-20 without any issues.

How long do you plan to go between oil changes? If you're going to be sticking with 3k mile oil changes, then you really don't need to go with a full synthetic. If you're doing 3k mile oil changes you can pick up MaxLife semi-synthetic, Pennzoil High Mileage, or Mobile 5k High Mileage, and any of them will protect your engine and easily go 3k-5k miles. The obviously caveat being that it depends on your driving. If you are constantly towing and/or redlining the engine, then maybe you should go with the full synthetic. But assuming normal driving, you don't need a full synthetic for 3k mile oil changes.

How many miles do you drive a year? Assuming it's between 12k and 18k, I'd go with a quality high mileage synthetic oil and change it twice a year (once in early Spring, and again in early Fall). But again, this assumes normal driving with minimal towing/redlining.

I believe I would stay with what has been used for the last 200K miles which is the 5w30. Why try to fix what ain't broke. But I know lots of guys with F-150's with the 5.4 and the biggest percentage of them are using 5w30 even though Ford specs 5w20.

Either a 5w-30 or 5w-20 is fine as that engine spec'd both depending on the year of the vehicle with no mechanical changes. I use a 0w-30 in my 5.4L. I'd continue with a 5w-30 and there have been many good recommendations in this thread.

I would use the cheapest SN rated 5W20 or 5W30 oil I could find. Perhaps Super Tech. This engine is using quite a bit of oil and the additives are being refreshed constantly with the addition of new oil. The OCI should be extended because of this.

Whatever oil has been used in the past, hasn't done the engine any favors. If the manufacturer specifies 5W20, why not use it? The engine has not been changed by the use of 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back