Need advice on hitch bike racks. Hanging vs platform.

I want to get a new 2” hitch bike rack. I would like something that doesn’t sway around too much. Preferably not touch the vehicle with straps. Easy to load and unload. The options are hanging and platform. Can somebody tell me which is better and why?

Platform racks are heavier to begin with.

Sway is dependent on how it locks with the hitch receiver. The ones that have a plate or ball pushing onto the inside of the reciever, pioneered by 1UP, significantly reduces sway within the reciever.

9-2in-Heavy-Duty-Double-Black-Hitch-Bar.jpg

1678904303758.jpg

The higher end platforms don't touch the bike frames, and secured by the tires (1UP, Yakima Holdup, Thule T2, etc).

Hanging requires straps that touch the bike frame and the front wheel can rotate around, unless secured with a strap or bungie cord. The rubber straps can be a PITA to put on and remove. Yakima ratchet straps... make sure you don't lose them.

Acess to trunk... platforms tend to rotate down. Hanging ones, you would have to buy one that swings out. Since mine, and many others, you have to unload the bikes to swing down the mast.

I have the 1UP rack with 2" mount. Super easy to load and unload and you can make those tire-mounting things pretty tight if you like. They're lockable too. It's heavy and expensive but is one of those things you'll never have to buy again. And it won't scratch your bike or your car.

LwzDDt.jpg

Almost no bikes today have a horizontal top tube making it impossible to have them hang reasonably level. Platform the way to go, I see more 1Ups at the trailheads than any other brand. Not cheap and obvious why when you look at one. Not saying others don't work fine, just don't look for the least expensive one.

I have both and much prefer the platform style.

As noted, fewer fewer bikes have a horizontal top tube meaning the bike starts to hang at some crazy tilts, if you an even hang them at all on the hanging style.

The platform style tends to keep the bikes further apart and uses the wheels to hold them on, minimizing scratches and dings to the paint.

I have a Saris Supercamp EX 4 Bike carrier and am happy with it (and yes, they list for about 1k these days). The old rack is a Yakima 4 bike hanging rack, and it did its job in the day, but I won't go back to a hanging rack.

How many bikes and what type? Platform seems good up to 2 or 3, then vertically hanging seems much better if your carrying many bikes often. Some others have switchable top fork mounts for different styles of bikes.
ns rack.jpg

Almost no bikes today have a horizontal top tube making it impossible to have them hang reasonably level. Platform the way to go, I see more 1Ups at the trailheads than any other brand. Not cheap and obvious why when you look at one. Not saying others don't work fine, just don't look for the least expensive one.
Almost except for road bikes, gravel bikes, cyclocross bikes, etc... even with a compact frame.

Mountain bikes, you can get away with it on a hardtail.... since before I got rid of my hard tail, it fit on my Yakima Ridgeback just fine.... but then again who buys hardtails? Most people go straight to full-suspension

I had a Thule T2 for years until my son's new fat bike's suspension fork didn't fit in it. Now I have a One Up. It has a mechanism in the hitch that binds it internally so it doesn't rock. It's really a nice rack. Doesn't touch my truck at all.

I stopped using a hanging style rack years ago. Platforms are way more stable.

I have a Swagman that gets the job done. It's not well rust proofed, so I take off when not in use. [Still sitting in my trunk!] Works for the bikes I have.

Don't think it's this model but you get the idea. My "favorite" bike that I ride the most has fenders, so anything that grabs the wheels doesn't work for me.

1679092494042.jpg

Don't think it's this model but you get the idea.
View attachment 145454
That type top hook doesn't hold a mixte frame securely. As a result, one friend's favorite old mixte bike fell off another friend's rack, and never was found. Yes, it should've been tied to back up the hook.

My own problem is that my old simple hanging type rack won't clear the spoiler on the rear of the Prius, and my old 4-bike roof rack requires a flatter roof for clearance.

That type top hook doesn't hold a mixte frame securely. As a result, one friend's favorite old mixte bike fell off another friend's rack, and never was found. Yes, it should've been tied to back up the hook.
I could see a mixte having issues. I usually put mine on the inside, facing the car, while it could still fall off, I figure it'll bounce between rack and car a bit. Although mine has the rubber straps which could go through the bottoms of the wheels (which I don't use).

No perfect solution exists. Having different options are good.

The only advantage to a hanging rack is cost. A platform rack is what you want, and what you must have if you ever want to transport an ebike. They’re easier to load, more stable, and you don’t need to worry about damage.
There are many good brands. My favorite is the Kuat NV. Kuat has a new piston assist model that would be nice if you’re weak or transporting heavy bikes.
I also like Yakima and Thule racks.
PM me and I can get you 20% off if you can’t already do better (to be clear, I’m not the seller, just the guy who can get you a discount).

vertical hanging racks are my favorite, fits the most bikes. they do sway. some hang from the handlebars and some from the front wheels

We have a four bike thule one that is decent. I can finagle four bikes for family use onto it, even though tubes arent straight and whatnot. Bikes do get scratched a bit from it, but it swings down for easy access, doesnt sway if you bolt in the receiver bolt/lock, and it works well enough. I like the idea of platforms, but the hanging type is heavy and bulky enough to store as it is, let alone some big platform. I dont know what we will do when we get to five larger bikes...

I want to get a new 2” hitch bike rack. I would like something that doesn’t sway around too much. Preferably not touch the vehicle with straps. Easy to load and unload. The options are hanging and platform. Can somebody tell me which is better and why?
100% go for platform. Way more stable for the bikes and less damage to the top tube. Figure out what bikes you are going to mount (size in particular), and see if you can get them to fit. Kid bikes would likely be the biggest challenge.

The best option seems to be the type of platform rack that grips the tires: https://www.rei.com/product/152003/..._SejJLAeMJi3rG8lNJRoCnlAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Not sure how this would work on kid sized bikes though.

Back