Need advice/info on 2013-2016 Acadia and Traverse with V6

My daughter and her husband have asked me to help find them a vehicle. They have a baby on the way, so are looking at above vehicles for family/pet hauling.
They are pretty narrowed down to above choices, but I'm hoping for input on issues, general experience with the V6, tranny and reliability. Vehicles they can afford look to have over 100k miles, but look decent in the ads. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

the Car Wizard on Youtube has a video on the absolute worst engines to avoid...the GM 3.6 is on the list

Personally I think Car Wizard is a sanctimonious (redacted). I follow a lot of YouTube car channels, but I can can't bring myself to watch his channel. Or Scotty Kilmer for that matter. But whatever.

I have the #1 engine on that list, the dreaded 5.4 3V. If people would just admit to themselves they needed a timing job when it started ticking on cold start up, there'd be a lot less dead ones. Another thing, forget the 5w20. People who run 5/10w30 quality oils, and change frequently, have less problems on these motors.

A GM 3.6 might be a good deal over 100K but you better well budget at least a timing job into that price, and be obsessive about maintenance. Nothing that isn't Dexos1 Gen3, and change it way more frequently than the OLM suggests. 5K max.

I have a friend who works in a dealer. He told me these are an electrical nightmare, in fact he had one and even with GM Tech assistance they couldn't fix it... He says it was fairly common...

I would try to find Toyota SUV like Highlander.
I found a 08 Highlander 180K miles 6 cyl for a friend but it is still in a good shape and runs very good.
He brought it to a mechanic after, they say it is in great shape.

For Toyota, find the 6 cylinder engine.
A lot of them still running even the one from the 90s.
Not perfect but it has a lot less issues than any GMs or Fords.

I would try to find Toyota SUV like Highlander.
I found a 08 Highlander 180K miles 6 cyl for a friend but it is still in a good shape and runs very good.
He brought it to a mechanic after, they say it is in great shape.

For Toyota, find the 6 cylinder engine.
A lot of them still running even the one from the 90s.
Not perfect but it has a lot less issues than any GMs or Fords.
There's nothing wrong with the 2.7 in a Highlander so long as you never have to drive up a hill! ;)

I had a 2010 Traverse. Now I've heard the timing chain issues that plagued the 3.6 were mostly fixed by 2011, but that's what retired mine when it started throwing the telltale cam position error codes at 170,000 miles. It is a major job to replace them, you have to drop the whole front end to pull the engine and it's around a $3000 job. Mine was fraught with electrical problems; failing power window switches, failing radio speakers, corroding wiring harnesses, power mirror switch failed, remote key fob died completely, random error messages about "service Stabilitrak", and the odometer display partially failed so you could only read it at night or if you covered up the daylight sensor.

Thanks for all the replies. These may not be the best option for them. Does anyone know when the GM 3.6 timing chain issues were supposedly "fixed" ? I know my wife has a 2017 Buick Lacrosse and I believe my research at the time seemed to indicate that version didn't have the same issues.
They only have about 10k to spend, so the Toyotas, Hondas, etc. all tend to be older and higher miles. Maybe still a better option?

Thanks for all the replies. These may not be the best option for them. Does anyone know when the GM 3.6 timing chain issues were supposedly "fixed" ? I know my wife has a 2017 Buick Lacrosse and I believe my research at the time seemed to indicate that version didn't have the same issues.
They only have about 10k to spend, so the Toyotas, Hondas, etc. all tend to be older and higher miles. Maybe still a better option?
I've seen some older Toyota Siennas at or under 10K and they are pretty reliable. The 3.3 has a timing belt, 3.5 is chain. Both are reliable.

AFAIK, the GM 3.6 is an updated Opel/Saab 2.8/3.2L V6 used in the Catera(our Opel Omega), CTS and the Saab 9-5. Those eat timing chains and it doesn’t look like a fun job. Punt and run away.

Owned a 2011 Acadia AWD, put 204k on it before selling for $7k. Did replace timing chains and torque converter. It was a great vehicle for our family and very comfortable on the highway.

@drfeelgood - they can try looking for a 2011-2012 Nissan Pathfinder. LE or Silver Edition for the creature comforts. The 4.0 VQ40 with the 5 speed is pretty much bullet proof. Those years are also post SMOD radiators and post prematurely failing timing chain tensioners.

I couldn’t stomach paying the Highlander tax. I’ve had mine about 40k miles and it’s been a great ride - just did a 4,000 miles trip and it was very comfortable.

I'd avoid the early 3.6 engines, the timing chain issues are wide spread and well known throughout the auto repair industry very expensive repair. That being said my dad has a 2017 Colorado 3.6 and it's been flawless.

Back