Need advice for Verizon basic phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I need some help picking out a new basic cell phone. (My current phone is the Motorola Krave, but it is starting to die.)

I am on Verizon Wireless and do not want to switch, as they have always provided better coverage during my travel than anyone else. Also, I only need it for telephone service and the occasional text message. (I have a laptop or tablet when I need internet access.)

With that, the selections available on the market are extremely slim, at best. After looking in the stores and online, I narrowed down the choices to these two:

1. another Motorola Krave (Yup, I was surprised to find a brand new one that has never been used.)

2. the Samsung Brightside (this design is about 4 years newer and still on sale at Bestbuy, but I hear it may not be rated very well out there... then again I am comparing to a phone 4 years older)

First, between these two....which would you pick? (why?)

Second, If you really prefer a different "basic" phone, then which one is that???

Thank you all in advance!!!

I would pic the krave as i hate touchscreens. The brighside has a keyboard but it is also a touchscreen.

I'm currently using an old pantech c-300 but i don't think verizon supports it, only at&t.

1800mobiles_2270_288323094.jpg

Last edited:
Since the Motorola Krave has been out of production for several years, I would expect the battery to be significantly depleted on the new old stock unit. You would be better off going with the new LG Exalt clamshell flip phone that has easy to use features. If you are eligible for a 2 yr. upgrade, it is only $19.99 at Target or Staples Office supplies (according to their websites). Like spasm3, I dislike touchscreen phones for basic voice & text services.

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Hi all,

I need some help picking out a new basic cell phone. (My current phone is the Motorola Krave, but it is starting to die.)

I am on Verizon Wireless and do not want to switch, as they have always provided better coverage during my travel than anyone else. Also, I only need it for telephone service and the occasional text message. (I have a laptop or tablet when I need internet access.)

With that, the selections available on the market are extremely slim, at best. After looking in the stores and online, I narrowed down the choices to these two:

1. another Motorola Krave (Yup, I was surprised to find a brand new one that has never been used.)

2. the Samsung Brightside (this design is about 4 years newer and still on sale at Bestbuy, but I hear it may not be rated very well out there... then again I am comparing to a phone 4 years older)

Second, If you really prefer a different "basic" phone, then which one is that???

Be aware there are other carriers that use Verizon cell services, they buy it wholesale. You would get same coverage for less money. Buy a phone and get a no-contract company that uses Verizon.

I have Consumer Cellular which buys cell services wholesale from AT&T.

Last edited:
Thanks, I have looked the the Droids. But, I have also been trying to avoid the extra $30/month for adding a data package to the plan.

Recently got my son an add-on "dumb" phone on our Verizon account. I hated the selection at the store and online so bought a refurbished LG VX9900 on EBay for the full keyboard.

There are bargains out there so you can upgrade cheap.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Ranger1
Hi all,

Be aware there are other carriers that use Verizon cell services, they buy it wholesale. You would get same coverage for less money. Buy a phone and get a no-contract company that uses Verizon.

I have Consumer Cellular which buys cell services wholesale from AT&T.

Similarly, I use Page Plus, which runs on Verizon's network, but without the exorbitant costs. Wife and I went from $150/month for two smart phones on Verizon to $60/month on Page Plus (through Kitty Wireless). Dad & his wife went from $80/month for two "dumb" phones on Verizon to $24/month on Page Plus.

I know I didn't answer the question you are asking in your post, but I've been so happy with my service and cost savings, I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest it.

There are also lots of good help available on the Kitty Wireless forums regarding phones and plans.

My wife and I are in the process of switching to Republic Wireless from Verizon (phones are in the mail). It uses Sprint's towers when mobile and voip when on wifi. $25 a month per phone number with unlimited everything is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Donald

+1 to what Donald said.

My wife and I just switched from Verizon to Tracfone. We ported our old numbers to new phones.

With Tracfone, if the phone model ends in "G", it's a GSM phone that runs on AT&T or T-Mobile.

If the phone model ends in "C", it's a CDMA phone that runs on Verizon.

If you want to run on Verizon's network, I'd look at one of the following (trustworthy eBay seller):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manufacturer-Ref...=item1e7ec7392f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manufacturer-Ref...=item1e844c646c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Galaxy-C...=item1e847fc369

All of those are triple minute phones. What that means is that if you buy a 200 minute card from Tracfone or other authorized reseller, when you activate it, you'll get 600 minutes.

If you buy one of Tracfone's android phones, you'll get triple-triple. What that means is that a 200 minute card triples to 600 minutes, 600 text messages, and 600 MB of data. The android phones have 3 separate buckets. If you send 600 text messages, and make no phone calls and use no data, you'll have to buy another airtime card to send text #601. All of the buckets allow for "roll-over", so your minutes, texts, and data never expire.

If you're a heavy user of any of the three services, you might be better off with an unlimited plan from one of Tracfone's sister companies, Net10 and Straightalk. Straightalk is Wal-mart exclusive. All 3 offer CDMA and GSM phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back