Need a tire pressure gauge

These do pretty well.

https://www.ghmeiser.com/product-category/dial-gauges/

Many of the mtn bikers use them since they can be had with many pressure ranges and lower ones reading in the 5 - 20 psi range with some accuracy.
I know they stood the test of time and ratings by many just due to 15 years of being around the bike community. This brand is hands down the top two or three pick if not the first although I'll qualify that to being within a given price range when money matters or not comparing to those willing to spend $60 to $300 for something extra special.

Last edited:
I had a stack of pencil gauges, not sure how I got so many of them (like 10 over who knows how many years), and I finally compared against each other. I tossed about half of them, the worst ones.

Finally bought a digital gauge, but it's not a be-all end-all either. I left it in the garage and found that, around freezing temps, it doesn't work. I guess cheapness has its limits too. Link to the digital I got

Lots of good choices posted here. I guess it's all about taking a gamble on what is actually going to be accurate, and last more than a couple of months before it starts reading wonky.

This one: https://www.autozone.com/tire-repai.../slime-chrome-dial-tire-gauge/837625_0_0 started acting up shortly after I bought it. I'd press it onto the valve stem, and it would read 35, and when I pull it off, it would jump up 2-4 more psi.

It went in the trash.

I'll probably keep using the digital until it starts disagreeing with the TPMS, then switch to one of the analogs you guys posted above.

My recommendation is to only get a tire gauge with a metal pin, not a plastic pin. A plastic pin will damage and break against the metal pin of your valve stem. I also recommend straight heads instead of swivel heads. Swivel heads just make it harder to create a good seal.

My recommendation is to only get a tire gauge with a metal pin, not a plastic pin. A plastic pin will damage and break against the metal pin of your valve stem. I also recommend straight heads instead of swivel heads. Swivel heads just make it harder to create a good seal.
Hopefully he decided on a Tire Gauge by now. This thread is 2 years old.

I quit using mine when I bought my Ryobi inflator that does tires and air mattresses. when you attach it to the tire it reads out the pressure. You punch up what pressure you want and it runs till it gets there. I use it a lot.

I quit using mine when I bought my Ryobi inflator that does tires and air mattresses. when you attach it to the tire it reads out the pressure. You punch up what pressure you want and it runs till it gets there. I use it a lot.
The inflator tire gauge isn't the most accurate. It would get you in range though ± a few psi compared to the next least accurate pressure gauge, the commercial pressure gauge of your choosing.

My go to tire pressure gauge is a 4" Longacre 60PSI analog with pressure release valve. No two pressure gauges will read exactly the same so pick the one you like and stick with it.

What I wonder, is how is one sure that a gauge, be it cheap, or a more expensive one, accurate? I once read that the digital ones are the most accurate. I have a digital, and a mechanical analog one, and a couple pencil gauges. I had more, but a I started checking them against one another, and threw out the ones that gave readings that varied more than 2 lbs from the others. Even so, the remaining ones don't all read exactly the same, but within 1 or 2 lbs, so I guess that is close enough.

Go for consistency which can be tested, rather than accuracy which you can't really test. Digital gauges remove readout errors over analog but accuracy and consistency are up to the electronics used.

I’ve had a Rebco analog gauge for about 20 years. It’s the round one with the 8ish inch rubber hose. It’s been nothing but fabulous and still very accurate and smooth. I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

Last edited:
Have one 1970s VDO and two Flaigs in my cars and two Longacres in the
shop. All are reading the same within 100 mBar. All analogue of course.
Why use something that needs batteries?
That said I'd never ever buy anything at amazon. I don't get why 9 out of
10 links on this forum are amazon.

most of the cheap digital tire pressure gauges run off of:
(1) lithium coin cell battery -AND- (3) button cell alkalines

get Home Depot's HUSKY Digital Tire Gauge with LED Light for $6.87 while it's on sale right now - it runs off of (2) AAA batteries:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4-in-Digital-Tire-with-Gauge-AAA0138J/205937751

thumbsup2.gif
This one looks like a good deal. It actually has a published specification. Digital gauges are not necessarily more accurate, but they do tend to hold their accuracy longer and be more repeatable. (I have 45 years experience in calibration)

Not sure if it's ok to re-use this thread or create a new one, BUT I'm in the market for one. I prefer a battery-less analog one unless there's a digital one that is accurate. Just looking for an updated recommendation for the 2022 year. I did see the Joe's racing one mentioned quite a bit and it caught my eye but I am open to use a digital one. Whatever is more consistently accurate.

Back