need a serpentine belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this goodyear serpentine belt for a little over a year and it has begun squeaking on me. At autozone they have the goodyear (which is the most expensive), Gates and kelly belts. Which one is the best? Or should i get stock motorcraft?

Stock belts are generally very good quality, but you usually pay out the rear for it.

I've been using Napa belts (made by Gates) as long as I've been changing belts, and have always been satisfied with the service I get out of them.

Don't cheap out on belts and hoses, it just isn't worth the initial savings in the long run.

I use Gates from Carquest and NAPA too. Had good luck with them. If the new belt starts to squeak shortly after installation (about a month or so) then I would say your tensioner is bad.

I use factory serpentines that last a good long time.

My blower belt (belt-driven procharger, 6-rib) is a bit of a trouble spot, I've tried them all. Granted, it has to transmit lot more load than a regular sepentine, about 90hp at full boost, so keep that in mind. But if a belt lasts a long time for this application, it should do just fine for sepentines...

No name belts = crap, don't last long at all
Goodyear Gatorback = decent life, but noisy
Gates = last the longest, about twice as long as the Gatorback. Very quiet

Gates supposed to be the one of the best(besides original factory replacement)when it comes to timing belts, serpentine belts, etc.

Here,s a old trick,with the engine running pour a little water on it if the squeak goes away ,it,s the belt,if it still squeaks you have a bearing going out

Well i had BBK underdrive pulleys installed and it started making the noise 2 weeks after i had them put it. The belt is tighter now so i think it is the belt.

quote:

Which one is the best?

Dayco is the best.

I was never that impressed with Dayco belts, or hoses for that matter, especially when compared to Gates.

They just don't seem to be made as well, or last as long.

100 thousand miles on my last Dayco on my 5.3l Chevy Z71. I'm not saying Gates are bad. I just never got that type of life out of any other brand. My wife's new Malibu MAXX came stock with Dayco. GM says the Belt is good for 100k miles. I believe them considering the service I got out of my Z's Dayco belt.

I've been fairly impressed with Dayco. My '00 Monte Carlo came stock with a Dayco. At about 90k miles (30k miles past due), I changed it to a Gatorback just due to some cracks I was seeing. There were no problems at that point. Upon installing the new belt, it immediately starting whistling (not squealing). The noise was coming from the alternator pulley (the smallest one). My theory is that the notches were squeezing the air out as the belt wrapped around the pulley, causing the whistle as the air was compressed between the belt and the pulley. I returned that belt and bought a Dayco from another store. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back