Need a new ratchet/tool set

I have a customer who only allows Craftsman to be used on his car so I have to use them when he is at my shop getting work done.

One of the most unreasonable things I've ever heard, I would purposely use other tools just to see what would happen....Then act dumb "Man I could of swore this was a Craftsman tool"

There's line between customer service & Indulging a customers unreasonable request.....Your boss shouldn't have put you in this situation to begin with, Managing/Owning a automotive repair business requires the Backbone to tell customers "How Things Are Ran Here".

One of the most unreasonable things I've ever heard, I would purposely use other tools just to see what would happen....Then act dumb "Man I could of swore this was a Craftsman tool"

There's line between customer service & Indulging a customers unreasonable request.....Your boss shouldn't have put you in this situation to begin with, Managing/Owning a automotive repair business requires the Backbone to tell customers "How Things Are Ran Here".
I agree. Same with his no power or air tools stuff on that customers car. And I hate using someone else’s tools too like how he pulls his breaker bar out of his trunk.

Does he not know Craftsman is a shell of it's former self? Some of their stuff was never that great to begin with, I never cared for their raised panel ratchets & before Snap-on introduced their 80 & 72 tooth ratchets.....I preferred MAC ratchets as they had the lowest back drag & rarely auto reversed.

Does he not know Craftsman is a shell of it's former self? Some of their stuff was never that great to begin with, I never cared for their raised panel ratchets & before Snap-on introduced their 80 & 72 tooth ratchets.....I preferred MAC ratchets as they had the lowest back drag & rarely auto reversed.
I’m honestly not sure. I have a few of the modern things I used on it and he didn’t say anything. I don’t want anything going missing if he was to inspect them. I remember him making a remark about this was what his father and grandfather used so he is continuing the tradition. Yes their ratchets absolutely suck and hurt your hand after awhile too. I give every tool a chance and those aren’t something I use hardly at all.

I’m honestly not sure. I have a few of the modern things I used on it and he didn’t say anything. I don’t want anything going missing if he was to inspect them. I remember him making a remark about this was what his father and grandfather used so he is continuing the tradition. Yes their ratchets absolutely suck and hurt your hand after awhile too. I give every tool a chance and those aren’t something I use hardly at all.
We all have our preferences and idiosyncrasies but when they become obsessions/compulsions they become problematic. Maybe this guy should get professional help for his issues (???) Or maybe he should learn to work on his own cars (with his Craftsman tools) just like his daddy and grand daddy did.

No air tools? Then the repair time guide is now inaccurate since the testing to find times is done using power tools. The customer can certainly have the repair work done in this method but the charge will be for time applied on all services rendered.

That would be my go to. Also no menu priced tire rotation or repair, time applied at full labor rate.

Wrap the handles in vulcanising tape

Yes I know my hands get tired and I do too of using all hand tools. I think it’s time I told my boss I’m not touching his car. I did pull a fast one once on him he stepped outside to take a call and was on the other side of the building so my coworkers Milwaukee gun was setting on the workbench so I grabbed it to take his axle nuts off with then just put HIS socket back on HIS breaker bar to make it look like I had used it to remove them.

We all have our preferences and idiosyncrasies but when they become obsessions/compulsions they become problematic. Maybe this guy should get professional help for his issues (???) Or maybe he should learn to work on his own cars (with his Craftsman tools) just like his daddy and grand daddy did.
I agree. And I don’t judge because someone may have issues but when it does turn into that like you said yeah it’s a problem. Some things I do have in Craftsman and if I use them I use them if I don’t I don’t lol. Now if he would ask something like hey can you maybe leave that snug but not hurt yourself trying to remove it tight that would be different because I know his son likes to fix cars too but making requests like that then standing there and making sure I follow them yeah that’s a problem that is why I like doing road calls if I know he is showing up lol.

After reading this thread, I believe some need to treat/care for their tools better, even the cheap ones. Wipe them down, clean them, store them properly, oil them as needed, and above all, organize then........ Don't use a ratchet as a breaker bar. Don't use a regular socket as an impact socket.

When you lose or break a ratchet/socket/wrench/pliers, you replace it with a higher quality one if budget allows, definitely if you are trying to make a living from your tools. For the typical doityourselfer, most lesser brands work fine for 99% of the time. These 'gift box' set of 100's of tools are plenty good enough for many, and even for the beginning mechanic that doesn't want a $20k loan with the tool truck.

I have plenty of Craftsman wrenches/sockets/ratchets and none have wronged me. I do know their limitations, aka capability/comfort and adjust as needed.

Your local autopart stores(napa/autozone/oreilly/carquest/advance), hardware store(Ace, Lowes, Homedepot), along with farm stores like TractorSupply, Walmart/Target/Harborfreight, all have usable tools and toolsets for many, and some of these stores have 'single piece' replacements since you don't need to keep buying complete sets.

Power tools, whether lithium or pneumatic, are not worth arguing about. If a boss ever told be to use a breakerbar and not an impact wrench to remove a nut/bolt, I'd tell him to shove the tool where the sun don't shine. Obviously, I do understand some pathetic hacks will overtighten something that needs to be torqued or stretched. Zip off and click on!

Yes a lot of the parts stores have nice tools. Auto Zone Duralast tools are nice and made in Taiwan I’ve got a bunch of them. Carlyle from Napa are nice as well almost identical to Snap-on. Even the TEQ PRO stuff from Advance Auto isn’t bad. And the Power Torque from O’Reilly isn’t bad either I’ve got all of those brands. I’ve got Harbor Freight stuff and Northern Tool and Tractor Supply. I’ve got Kobalt from Lowe’s, Husky from Home Depot. Even got some modern Craftsman that I made it a point to buy since they will honor the warranty on the old USA stuff. The Stanley stuff isn’t too bad but the deep sockets in 1/2 and 3/8 aren’t deep enough the 1/4 are normal sized. I use many different brands of tools I’m not biased towards one brand. I’ve even got Snap-on, Mac, Matco, Cornwell, SK, Proto, Williams, Capri, Armstrong, Gearwrench, everything.

Strange about someone obsessing about using Craftsman tools like they are a religion. Sears is a department store, sell shoes, clothes, mattresses, towels, garden equipment, appliances, and tools, etc. I would say Craftsman was like Kenmore, their tested house brand made by another company. The benefit was Sears were neighborhood stores and people in the area could take their tools back for replacement. I guess they were good enough for pros to use too some of them. Sears pretty much invented free tool replacement as far as I know. Everyone had to match them or lose sales.

I'm looking into buying a new ratchet/ tool set. I currently have a Stanley Mechanics tool set that i've had for 10 years now and it has been fantastic and has been beaten hard its life. Stanley sent me new 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets last year under their lifetime warranty, all I did was email them and ask and they were mailed to me quickly. The old ones still work but were starting to slip out of gear every once in a while. They had been rained on many times and left in the sun too, I can't complain. I like the portability of the plastic case the Stanley set came in but it has fallen apart after all these years and I've lost lots of wrenches and sockets.

Stanley currently has a 201 piece set that Amazon and Walmart sell for $59, it doesn't sound like it can get any better than that.

Is there any other sets I should consider? I'd like to stay under $100 since I know I can get a decent Stanley set for $59 I thought it would be worth a shot to see what else is out there. I have lots and lots of other Craftsman wrenches and sockets.

The set must be 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" ratchets with sockets and have wrenches.

Thanks, here's the Stanley set.

Stanley Tool Set
Hey I would grab the Stanley set at the price. I'm a home mechanic not a pro. I have fallen in love with Husky tools from home depot but, I doubt they have a set like that for that price. Stick with what works.

Back