Need a new Over the Range Microwave

GE and Whirlpool are from two different worlds and two different countries.

GE is owned by a Chinese company called Haier.

Whirlpool Is owned by an American company named Whirlpool.
Frigidaire is actually owned by Electrolux which is a Swedish company. Don't know where the various appliances are manufactured though.

Frigidaire is actually owned by Electrolux which is a Swedish company. Don't know where the various appliances are manufactured though.
Thats it^^ Your correct, I was wrong. I new it was Electrolux owned but mistakenly posted Germany and wasnt focused since the OP was talking about an American and Chinese owned company.
German on my brain a lot because my son works for a German company.

WE have a Magic Chef over the range that has to be 20 yrs old now. I had to repair it once when a door safety switch went edgy. I had Microwave oven training when I worked at Motorola. The main reasonsons they fail are switches and capacitors. The ones that are painted inside use special paint that is for microwave ovens. I also used to have a GE over the stove microwave. Liked it because it had a knob and no touch screen. Latch on door broke.

I recently remodeled our kitchen. I tossed the microwave/ range hood combo in the trash, it was a GE about 5 years old and failing and bought this Maytag ductless range hood and a Cuisinart microwave oven with a door handle for the counter. It was the highest cfm I could find in a ductless. I also bought a spare set of the charcoal filters which I wash and reuse. Works great.

That’s exactly my plan.

My Whirlpool over the range microwave is made in China. So, there’s that out of the way.
Lots of stuff made in China but the profit went to an American company and you are supporting an American company instead of GE a Chinese company. Taxes collected went to the American government instead of Government of China.
That matters to me but if it doesnt matter to others that's ok. Im just stating facts, no politics. One should be able to figure out the politics on their own anyway.

Lots of stuff made in China but the profit went to an American company and you are supporting an American company instead of GE a Chinese company. Taxes collected went to the American government instead of Government of China.
That matters to me but if it doesnt matter to others that's ok. Im just stating facts, no politics. One should be able to figure out the politics on their own anyway.
If you say so.

Sometimes these brands gets convoluted. Does Whirlpool make the appliance in China or is it Rongshida making the appliance for Whirlpool?

It starts out as a way to get into a major market that is growing but along the way the foreign company gets to export products to the US by using the Whirlpool brand.

It saves Whirlpool from having to build a factory and staff it.

no room for cart in kitchen. Unless I'm prepping on stove a countertop microwave would be smack in the middle of my main prep area.

Looks like the home despot has a few good options. Might give them a look tomorrow after working 16 days in a row.
Its sort of working again.. so no "emergency" but its definitely acting odd and on borrowed time.

Whirlpool has a model with sensor cook and non stick interior for under 330.. only missing option is the 400cfm exhaust ( it has 300)
Probably not worth 100$ for that feature.

Ok so to finish off this thread I finally decided on the Whirlpool
WMH53521HZ
It had nonstick interior(2.1ft), sensor cook, and the upgraded 400cfm exhaust that actually works decent.
it was well reviewed by several places giving it across the board "excellent" etc.
they even called it out for actually exhausting well unlike most microwave vents that are mediocre.

cost 369 from costco or 369 from lowes/home depot.
I can get 16% off from lowes or home depot this weekend.(or bestbuy)

Well despite saying instock they were all out except costco and delivery was 3 weeks out.
I'm going to call out costco for their giant free delivery and installation banner... but this isnt an included product..
no free install.

Changed my mind and was going to buy a 1.6ft GE that was 251.. well after searching on bestbuy's site
I found the whirlpool in stock at their regional richfield warehouse..
picking it up in an hour. 394$ after tax -16% cash back/perks = 331$ out the door.

The Ge was basically a replacement of the one I currently have but for 100$ more the whirlpool seems a worthy upgrade without getting into obscene prices.
@JeffKeryk I considered a nice kitchenaid but it was out of stock or 600$+tax
its a nice unit but not THAT much nicer.

Last edited:
Ok so to finish off this thread I finally decided on the Whirlpool
WMH53521HZ
It had nonstick interior(2.1ft), sensor cook, and the upgraded 400cfm exhaust that actually works decent.
it was well reviewed by several places giving it across the board "excellent" etc.
they even called it out for actually exhausting well unlike most microwave vents that are mediocre.

cost 369 from costco or 369 from lowes/home depot.
I can get 16% off from lowes or home depot this weekend.(or bestbuy)

Well despite saying instock they were all out except costco and delivery was 3 weeks out.
I'm going to call out costco for their giant free delivery and installation banner... but this isnt an included product..
no free install.

Changed my mind and was going to buy a 1.6ft GE that was 251.. well after searching on bestbuy's site
I found the whirlpool in stock at their regional richfield warehouse..
picking it up in an hour. 394$ after tax -16% cash back/perks = 331$ out the door.

The Ge was basically a replacement of the one I currently have but for 100$ more the whirlpool seems a worthy upgrade without getting into obscene prices.
@JeffKeryk I considered a nice kitchenaid but it was out of stock or 600$+tax
its a nice unit but not THAT much nicer.
We bought that Whirlpool last month. We like it pretty well. It has an annoying melody it plays when it is finished cooking, but you can turn off all sounds if you like (I did). You can also have the clock display turn off after a while. The exhaust fan is supposed to be 400 CFM but it’s just as weak as any similar OTR microwave we’ve tried. It’s made in China. I was not able to find one made in USA. The only way to be sure where it’s made is to go to the store and check the label.

My Folks just had to replace their GE over the Range Microwave (Circa 2006) the screw attaching the Handle to the Bottom of the Door pulled THROUGH the Door Tuesday night.
went to the local appliance shop, where they've gotten a Fridge (LG), Range (Frigidare), Dishwasher (LG), and now Microwave (Frigidare) in the last 2 years.
1000W, Frigidare unit
https://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Microwaves/Over-The-Range-Microwave/FFMV1846VD/ (I think that's the one)
~$600 delivered and installed.

watched the guy install it, and like (I think it was Skyactive) said, Re-Used the same wall bracket from the old GE, and drilled 2 new holes in the bottom of the upper cabinets to mount it from above.

So, you take the side of Corporate America and Wall Street (Whirlpool made in China) instead of the Blue Collar American workers (GE if made in US)?

I bet neither of them pay any US income taxes, there're lots of tax shelter elsewhere that they keep the corporate profit in (Ireland?) and they just pay taxes there instead of the US or Country of Origin (manufacturing).

So, you take the side of Corporate America and Wall Street (Whirlpool made in China) instead of the Blue Collar American workers (GE if made in US)?

I bet neither of them pay any US income taxes, there're lots of tax shelter elsewhere that they keep the corporate profit in (Ireland?) and they just pay taxes there instead of the US or Country of Origin (manufacturing).
Lots of speculation in this post and truly worthless. I wasnt going to reply but then thought I would help educate some reading this post.
Speculating Whirlpool, an American corporation, doesnt pay corporate taxes is false
Speculating that no Whirlpool appliances is made in the USA is false

One thing that is not speculation is China owned GE is not required to pay US corporate taxes.

Sorry buddy, I think the USA is the greatest place on earth I cant help someone who feels otherwise. But I do believe in freedom so you are free in the USA to support AND invest in other countries companies, even communist countries products.. Its all good but your post is completely incorrect and your assumptions are so far out in space that its pointless to go into other than what I just posted... I will not reply any further.

BTW- Wall Street is America, it is what helped make us the greatest nation in the world. Millions of hard working Americans have 401k and Roth IRA's and because of Wall Street and their willingness to invest in companies they will retire quite comfortably. Millions of Americans were able to invest in ANY promising company that they wanted to for pennies. Wall Street IS American money and open to ALL Americans from the richest people to the poorest people, its all equal.
Another thing, big corporate profits are GREAT and go right back to the Wall Street investors, it could be your next door neighbor, it could be your aunt or uncle, plus 10s of millions of other Americans retirement plans and YES UNION retirement plans too.

Oh and one other little fact, as far as your speculation=

Look buddy, white wash it however you want (pun intended). To be fair this is very common and not Whirlpool specific.

The reality is, the only way to NOT shelter a tax is with local labor income tax and local property tax, everything else can be sheltered through accounting.

Wall Street is America, it is just one section of it that has disproportionally more income and influence. You can also buy foreign company stock listed in the US or foreign company stock listed in Hong Kong, Haier included (I'm not going to invest in Haier or Whirlpool, IMO they aren't good investment). Many US retirement funds invest in foreign company stocks domestically and internationally.

Last edited:
Back