Need a new Over the Range Microwave

Mine is on last leg.
Current is GE with sensor cook(which I never use sensor settings) 29.75" wide.

looking at costco.. anyone have slam dunk recommendation?

Would prefer nonstick type interior or stainless.. for when wife makes mess.
Plus for better exhaust fan 400cfm+

Not liking how its $600 to get basic features you find on a 100$ countertop unit.

Initially looking at these 2.
GE has sensor cook, nonstick interior and 400cfm exhaust.. on sale 429 from ~~$600

Maytag best price around at 270$ stainless interior (better than plastic) not-nonstick, no sensor cook.

Initially thinking costco for free shipping, delivery, and install.

I could do Lowes, home depot, and bestbuy can get 16% off next weekend but have to install myself.

I am fairly handy, I installed dishwasher, garbage disposal, wall mounts for TVs etc. Have tools.. doesnt mean i feel like installing it.. have bad head cold right now and enough work around house.
Anyone have any recommendations?

We have a Ikea over the range one that I put in myself about 5 years ago. It's a LAGAN model that has a whirlpool sticker inside the door. They go for around $200.00 on sale here in Canada.

How soon do you want it? The Costco ones showed up for me as back ordered and not available until after May 9th.. Availability will play a major part of your decision making. I had trouble finding one last summer and my son recently had to pay more than desired to get a stainless one.

I wished that I could help you. When ours goes out, I will be replacing it with a range hood and countertop microwave.

I wished that I could help you. When ours goes out, I will be replacing it with a range hood and countertop microwave.
I considered this but with air fryer, toaster, coffee pot, grinder, knife block, and junk our kitchen is already very small to have another counter appliance.

I could get a nice range hood f and the excellent countertop panasonic inverter microwave for the same price.
Buy the best you can; you will have it for a long time.
I went with KitchenAid, which is upscale Whirlpool I believe.

Good luck.
The best I could would be a range hood and the countertop inverter microwave.. you cant beat those.
hood works better, microwave works better.

Current one is not totally dead.. take 15-30s to power up.. fan comes on randomly usually 1-2min after starting cooking.. and shuts off 5min after food is done. It is 8.75 years old I guess it doesnt owe me anything.

I am irritated that I could have bought a new Frigidaire one with my new induction range for 350-250= $125 buy more save more deal. but it was working fine 2 weeks ago.

The stove just went on sale for 150$ cheaper too.. bum month for savings ugh.

Edit: fixed wrong word issue
note: numbers from memory

Last edited:
I vote Maytag, Kitchen Aid owned by Whirlpool or Whirlpool branded = Whirlpool American company.
GE = China
Frigidaire = German

Last edited:
I considered this but with air fryer, toaster, coffee pot, grinder, knife block, and junk our kitchen is already very small to have another counter appliance.

I could get a nice range hood f and the excellent countertop panasonic inverter microwave for the same price.

The best I could would be a range hood and the countertop inverter microwave.. you cant beat those.
hood works better, microwave works better.

Current one is not totally dead.. take 15-30s to power up.. fan comes on randomly usually 1-2min after starting cooking.. and shuts off 5min after food is done. It is 8.75 years old I guess it doesnt owe me anything.

I am irritated that I could have bought a new Frigidaire one with my new induction range for 350-250= $125 buy more save more deal. but it was working fine 2 weeks ago.

The stove just went on sale for 150$ cheaper too.. bum month for savings ugh.

Edit: fixed wrong word issue
note: numbers from memory
There’s a reason to my madness. A range hood will cover the range area better. Steam from stovetop cooking can cause internal parts of the microwave fail early. Sure, they are convenient.

I have a large size like yours and also a GE but it is installed over a cabinet...as a built-in. I am in my 18th year in the house and the second microwave. I wish I could help ya, but I don't think there is any less expensive remedy out there. I remember the stainless trim kit for mine cost almost as much as the unit!! Totally felt like I was grabbing my ankles.

My first choice would be the range hood and the Panasonic.
If you want the OTC unit, my choice would be the Maytag.
When we did our minor kitchen remodel years ago, we put in a microwave shelf, and had an outlet installed.
I suggested an OTC unit, but that got nixed.
Mrs. Tdbo at 5"4" did not care to reach up over the stove to get to the microwave.
It was fine with me because I could reuse the microwave we had then.

I vote Maytag, Kitchen Aid owned by Whirlpool or Whirlpool branded = Whirlpool American company.
GE = China
Frigidaire = German

GE does manufacture a high percentage of products in the US, as does Whirlpool. Not coincidence they are both in the area of 80% of appliance sales sold in the US are US made.

Most any microwave regardless of brand will be made in S Korea or Asia.

The replacement? Silly easy to do. The previous home owner in my old house had an above range whirlpool microwave.

I replaced it with a 240 volt GE Advantium 6300 watt speed cook oven. $$$

I was able to use the existing back mount plate and didn't even need to reposting it, but had to drill two new holes in the cabinet for the front top of the microwave to bolt down as they didn't match the previous Whirlpool hole placement. There was already an outlet for the microwave in the cabinet, but I ran new wire to the load center and a required 30 amp breaker.

GE is the only appliance maker that uses their own employees to repair their appliances.

With the quality of workers right now, you don't know if your going to get someone with 2 weeks worth of experience that is learning on the job
and had no father around to teach him anything mechanically while growing up. I recommend doing it yourself

I am not sure if non stick is necessary for interior of microwave. Do they get hot enough on the surface to bake on the interior and make it hard to clean up?

Personally I stay away from Whirlpool due to their reliability reputation and stick with GE. If you want the longest warranty for the cheap Ikea is the way to go.

The replacement? Silly easy to do. The previous home owner in my old house had an above range whirlpool microwave.

I was able to use the existing back mount plate and didn't even need to reposting it, but had to drill two new holes in the cabinet for the front top of the microwave to bolt down as they didn't match the previous Whirlpool hole placement. There was already an outlet for the microwave in the cabinet, but I ran new wire to the load center and a required 30 amp breaker.

GE is the only appliance maker that uses their own employees to repair their appliances.

With the quality of workers right now, you don't know if your going to get someone with 2 weeks worth of experience that is learning on the job
and had no father around to teach him anything mechanically while growing up. I recommend doing it yourself
I think for new install as long as you have the template you can drill the holes in the right place, and DIY install (with 2 people ideally). As long as the template you can find online measure not to intrude into some existing things (like the screw hang outside of the cabinets, or hit a vent location you currently have wood beam, etc), you should be able to easily DIY.

GE does manufacture a high percentage of products in the US, as does Whirlpool. Not coincidence they are both in the area of 80% of appliance sales sold in the US are US made.
GE and Whirlpool are from two different worlds and two different countries.

GE is owned by a Chinese company called Haier.

Whirlpool Is owned by an American company named Whirlpool.

GE and Whirlpool are from two different worlds and two different countries.

GE is owned by a Chinese company called Haier.

Whirlpool Is owned by an American company named Whirlpool.

That is accurate. They also BOTH have manufacturing plants in the USA. And both companies manufacture somewhere around 80% of their USA sales of appliances in the USA. My comments were manufactured not ownership of the company.

I didn't realize that. I figured independent contraactors. Thanks.

That is accurate. They also BOTH have manufacturing plants in the USA. And both companies manufacture somewhere around 80% of their USA sales of appliances in the USA. My comments were manufactured not ownership of the company.
Yes I know what you were referring too, I do call into question your statement of the 80%.
I could care less though, Whirlpool is a great company with reliable products and similar prices. I’ll go with the American corporation rather then send my money to an overseas company and even more so one based in China who is our enemy/dictatorship.
Just explaining myself since you responded to my post.

There’s a reason to my madness. A range hood will cover the range area better. Steam from stovetop cooking can cause internal parts of the microwave fail early. Sure, they are convenient.
I recently remodeled our kitchen. I tossed the microwave/ range hood combo in the trash, it was a GE about 5 years old and failing and bought this Maytag ductless range hood and a Cuisinart microwave oven with a door handle for the counter. It was the highest cfm I could find in a ductless. I also bought a spare set of the charcoal filters which I wash and reuse. Works great.

Attachments

• whirlpool-uxt5530aas-368.jpg
    whirlpool-uxt5530aas-368.jpg
    532 bytes · Views: 8
Back