Need a midsize SUV. 2021 Grand Cherokee, Blazer - or wait for 2022?

Why is 3 rows a deal breaker? They fold down...

Also, only the top SX trim gets 3 rows. The LX, S, and EX are 2 row.

Just knowing they're there annoys me, something I hate about the Tiguan. Reminds me I'm driving some family truckster.

Still shopping.

Blazer = Nice SUV but meh overall.
Telluride/Palliside = Nice SUV but meh overall. Third row in a vehicle this size is ridiculous.
Passport = Nice SUV but styling is frumpy. Looks like a 2004 CR-V mated with a Tiguan.
CX-5 = Nice SUV for a chick.
4 Runner = Probably the only real SUV on this list but interior is Rubbermaid level cheap.

Not sure what else to look at.

Your first post made it sound like the 2021 Jeep GC 80th anniversary edition was the one.

Still shopping.

Blazer = Nice SUV but meh overall.
Telluride/Palliside = Nice SUV but meh overall. Third row in a vehicle this size is ridiculous.
Passport = Nice SUV but styling is frumpy. Looks like a 2004 CR-V mated with a Tiguan.
CX-5 = Nice SUV for a chick.
4 Runner = Probably the only real SUV on this list but interior is Rubbermaid level cheap.

Not sure what else to look at.
New Explorer?

I haven’t heard good things about any of the ones listed except the 4 Runner and Explorer. They still have the recall on the current Telluride not sure if they will ever be able to fix it I find it funny myself. If you are looking for something reliable the 4 Runner is where it’s at and Toyota always hold their value too. And are great quality. Ford for Quality, Value and Reliability as well I know several Ford mechanics they say as long as you don’t get a model that has push button start you will be ok they tend to see a lot of problems out of those.

New Explorer?

This thread had ruled it out for me. I do like the looks though. Is it something worth exploring? Not a huge Ford fan but have nothing against the brand and try to keep an open mind.

This thread had ruled it out for me. I do like the looks though. Is it something worth exploring? Not a huge Ford fan but have nothing against the brand and try to keep an open mind.

This is JMO, but I read the MT article and I read the thread created here about the 2020 Explorer and I believe many people are just too biased. I wouldn’t cross a vehicle off your list because of what biased MT and a bunch of “experts” on BITOG say. I rented a 2020 Explorer Limited AWD earlier this summer for a road trip and it was a great vehicle. It drove really well, Ford did their homework with the unibody longitudinal drive layout. The 2.3 ecoboost is plenty powerful and for my driving I got 24mpg highway driving 80-85mph. For the base model at $32k you get plenty of equipment and it’s a good deal. If the interior looks too “low rent” then look at the Limited and higher trims, the price will reflect the upgrades. The Limited had a nice interior, it was accented with a fake wood trim that looked 100% fine in this vehicle. For those that prefer a different look than there is always the Lincoln Aviator if you want to spend more $$. The only thing I didn’t like was the placement of the infotainment screen. Not a deal killer by any means though.

Thats just my rant. When I received the keys to the Explorer at the rental counter I was at first a little disappointed because of all the negative reviews I read on MT and here. But I found none of those to be true. I often wonder if MT and I were comparing the same vehicle tbh. Their top complaint was poor interior quality and I can assure you my rental had no such quality issues.

I wouldn’t cross the Explorer off your list but it is a 3 row suv so it might automatically get crossed off lol. 😁

It probably won't come as much of a surprise but I ended up with the Jeep. After looking around it was tough to pass up a proven port injected V6 in front of probably the best auto transmission in the business that is all neatly packaged in a real RWD SUV. This has to be the BITOG special, it even has a full size spare! Brought it home last night and looked it over pretty good this morning and I can't find any flaws, initial fit and finish along with the paint all look perfect. I already installed a module that remembers the auto start/stop setting so the only negative thing I can find about this vehicle is gone for good. Happy to be back in a vehicle that feels, looks and drives substantial.

VJWjqGN.jpg

Congrats. Which Trim is this?

I am a little surprised that you did not go for the V8.

It's the 80th Anniversary Edition (FCA loves their special editions!), it's based off the Limited with some added goodies. In this application the V6 has plenty of power, especially with this being a 4x2. If I were going for a V8 it would be the 392 or Trackhawk but I didn't want to spend that kind of dough. Go big or go home!

It probably won't come as much of a surprise but I ended up with the Jeep. After looking around it was tough to pass up a proven port injected V6 in front of probably the best auto transmission in the business that is all neatly packaged in a real RWD SUV. This has to be the BITOG special, it even has a full size spare! Brought it home last night and looked it over pretty good this morning and I can't find any flaws, initial fit and finish along with the paint all look perfect. I already installed a module that remembers the auto start/stop setting so the only negative thing I can find about this vehicle is gone for good. Happy to be back in a vehicle that feels, looks and drives substantial.

VJWjqGN.jpg
Congrats on the new car they are very pretty vehicles. Given the poor crash worthiness and the high risk of bodily injury in crashes, how is the insurance premium? I ask because my 80 year old father is determined to get one of these.

Back