Need a midsize SUV. 2021 Grand Cherokee, Blazer - or wait for 2022?

Congrats on the new car they are very pretty vehicles. Given the poor crash worthiness and the high risk of bodily injury in crashes, how is the insurance premium? I ask because my 80 year old father is determined to get one of these.
It gets “Good” in everything except small overlap, driver side is Moderate and passenger side is Poor per IIHS. 4 star overall frontal, 5 star side impact per NHTSA.

It gets “Good” in everything except small overlap, driver side is Moderate and passenger side is Poor per IIHS. 4 star overall frontal, 5 star side impact per NHTSA.
Small overlap crashes make up around 16% of frontal crashes and make up 22% of fatal crashes. My father was involved in a small overlap crash in his Outback when he was commuting about four years ago; he walked away fine with only a minor scuff on his wrist. He’s retired now and only drives to church and to Aldi’s so I’m not super concerned about crashes but I am concerned whether or not the insurance premium is going to be astronomical because of how poor the vehicle does in the Insurance Institute tests; they are on a fixed income.

Small overlap crashes make up around 16% of frontal crashes and make up 22% of fatal crashes. My father was involved in a small overlap crash in his Outback when he was commuting about four years ago; he walked away fine with only a minor scuff on his wrist. He’s retired now and only drives to church and to Aldi’s so I’m not super concerned about crashes but I am concerned whether or not the insurance premium is going to be astronomical because of how poor the vehicle does in the Insurance Institute tests; they are on a fixed income.
Can’t say I’ve had a vehicle that rated poorer in a crash test cost me more in insurance vs one that does better. My 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with the v8 is technically “worse” per IIHS than my 2016 v6 Chrysler 300, roof strength is Marginal on the Ram vs Good for the 300 yet my truck costs less to insure.

I was paying ~$110 a month for a 2011 Dodge Durango Citadel (basically a 3 row Grand Cherokee with every option) with the 5.7 HEMI when I was 22. I’m sure a clean driving record, low miles, and someone far older than I will have a significantly cheaper premium.

For about a decade the Jeep Grand Cherokee has had issues with the front hood corroding where it meets the underside, even into the 2019 year, not sure if its ever been fixed.
What happens is the aluminum hood corrodes where it meets the front underside which is right along the front edge of the hood. (not all vehicles are affected, just poor manufacturing/sealing of the metals. (an easy internet search reveals the same)
Jeep at the body shops discretion either repairs it or replaces the hood. If you ever, lets say, at a car lot like CarMax, look at the front edges of the Jeeps, you WILL find at least one describing what I am talking about.
I bought a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 24000 miles on it from Carvana just this past spring. After it was delivered I learned of noticed this issue on the truck. Confirmed it with the dealer and it would be repaired free but forget that, dont want a repainted or replaced hood so I called up Carvana, they picked it up and refunded my money.
Moved on and bought a 2017 Traverse from a dealer locally, Certified, 1 year 12 mile warranty and 100,000 poor train, awesome SUV with the 5200 lb factory tow, 20 inch tires for less money.

Attachments

• 9F078015-C00E-4AA2-9567-F0CE3DEEECBD_1_105_c.jpeg
    9F078015-C00E-4AA2-9567-F0CE3DEEECBD_1_105_c.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Congrats on the new car they are very pretty vehicles. Given the poor crash worthiness and the high risk of bodily injury in crashes, how is the insurance premium? I ask because my 80 year old father is determined to get one of these.

Poor crash worthiness? The Grand Cherokee was a top safety pick when the WK2 first debuted. What's happened is that because of the platform's age, the standards have evolved and the vehicle hasn't. Same thing applies to the Sienna and Tundra. We had a whole thread on this a while back.

Back