Nearly bald tires on rental car

62,000 miles on a rental is yucky. Time for that one to filter down to the local "Ugly Duckling" rental lot..... Assuming those guys are still in business.

Like was mentioned, rentals are in short supply nowadays, but this is really pushing it. What company was it? Can you pick and choose from amongst a row of cars? I rent from Dollar and typically within whatever row they let be pick from there is always a low-mileage creampuff. Dollar is the low-priced subsidiary of Hertz and lots of people hate them but they have always been good to me.

It really is different today. I like to browse enterprise car sales online given I've bought from them pre-pandemic.

Today they're wanting $25K+ for 2-3 year old ex-rental Nissan Altimas with ~60K miles on them. That's about $10K more than 2yrs ago.

It seems they don't even consider taking something out of rental service until it hits 60K+ miles.

It really is different today. I like to browse enterprise car sales online given I've bought from them pre-pandemic.

Today they're wanting $25K+ for 2-3 year old ex-rental Nissan Altimas with ~60K miles on them. That's about $10K more than 2yrs ago.

It seems they don't even consider taking something out of rental service until it hits 60K+ miles.
Given how scarce new vehicles are, I can understand why they run them out further, because it's not easy to replace them. And given the price of used cars, they can afford to rent them for longer durations, and yet still get more money in secondary sales. Right now, despite our dissent, it makes sense for rental car companies to run the cars out to 60k miles, maybe more?

Years ago had a FORD Focus rental with low tread depth . They were so bad in the rain I had to pull off to the side of road until rain slowed down .

Tires aren’t all that scarce to be honest. What I see dealing with 3 tire vendors is lots of folks buying up name brand tires as of lately. Which is why I have to buy Eldorado, Laufen and other “budget/lower priced” brand tires. I’ve done more tires than I ever thought I would do. Did a lot more brake jobs as well as we are keeping vehicles longer. We currently aren’t selling Honda, Toyota, Subaru until 85k. Everything else and this means EVERYTHING we are selling at 65-68k

Back