Nearly a Red Green Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took my 4Runner in this morning to have the oil pan resealed and also took in a Napa Gold oil filter and a 5 quart jug of Pennzoil Platinum. The mechanic came back in to tell me that the jug was full of used oil and wanted to know if I wanted him to get some new oil delivered. I told him that I must have grabbed the wrong jug in the garage and to put in whatever conventional oil they had. I'm not even sure what oil is in the used jug, probably Castrol Syntec 0w-30 out of the Sequioa after 8k. Talk about feeling stupid.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

I thought you were going to tell us the mechanic put the pan back on with duct tape LOL

+1

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
At least your mechanic caught it. Imagine he poured it in there and you didn't know and ran it 10k! I doubt the motor would have grenaded but not a recipe for a long engine life.

They know that I'm careful about my oil. I had the Sequoia in the shop last Friday. The 4Runner only gets about 3,000 miles a year so it probably would have been fine, just stupid. I was using PP simply because it was the jug I got for $5 a while back. I hadn't used it in the 4Runner because I figured the synthetic would leak a little faster than the Maxlife out the oil pan gasket.

The mechanic is a Top Ten Toyota Graduate that has always worked in the "mom & pop" shop that I believe his dad started. I don't know if he's an owner or not, but it's just five honest mechanics and the guy in the front office that also has some mechanic skills.

blush.gif

I guess that's another good reason to go ahead and take your used oil in as soon as you finish the oil change.

Does anyone remember Cook's "Reconditioned" Motor Oil?

My old Toyota 20R finally spat out it's leaky front seal one day and I limped it over to my friend's house on .99 cent cans of Cooks to put a new seal in.

Left a nasty stain in the driveway. His mom made me clean it up and then bought us all Del Taco.
lol.gif

the "reconditioned" oil that was blacker than [censored]'s soul had no negative impact on the Toyota
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
could you have happened to buy a jug from walmart where someone returned their used oil, claiming it was unopened?

seriously! tell me you found the new jug at home!!!!

Oh well, if he had have put that old oil in and it did wreck the engine, you always could have fixed it with a hammer.

Disclaimer : You cant fix a digital watch with a hammer, but just about everything else is ok.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
could you have happened to buy a jug from walmart where someone returned their used oil, claiming it was unopened?

seriously! tell me you found the new jug at home!!!!

The new jug is confirmed on the shelf. I grabbed the one on the floor next to the Valvoline jug that I knew had used oil in it.

I always mark the top of the lid thats its used oil as soon as i can if the color of the lid is light like the silver mobil 1 lids, or if not i mark the jug.

I also like to try to take the used oil in as soon as possible, one time i had someone actually use a jug that was marked used oil in the garage and didnt even know until i told them.

My experience has been this...

My dad called me since I was out and asked my to pick up some oil for his JK. Assuming it used 5W-30, I purchased a 5qt jug and extra qt of Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30. Got home and realized it took 5w-20. When I went to take it back to Walmart, the Customer Service lady checked the seal to be sure it was never opened. I told her that I was glad she did that and asked what would have happened if I would have broke the seal before I realizsed I had the wrong oil. She said she would not have allowed me to return it and that they try to crack down on taht here.

That taught me two things. There isn't much of a chance in getting a jug of used oil at my Walmart and to be absolutely sure you have the correct weight before opening it because if it turns out to be wrong, tough cookies.

Glad to see my local Walmart tries to keep people from returning used oil.

I have read many times in the past where people have bought or almost bought used oil from walmart. They have been cracking down in the last year or so though. I heard another problem they are cracking down on now, is customers are leaving products on the bottom of their carts when they check out. They throw their bags in the carts and the checkers never look at the bottom of the carts.....customers(thiefs) are walking out with bigger items that wont fit in bags for free. The door greeters never think twice because the items wouldnt be bagged anyways

I heard another problem they are cracking down on now, is customers are leaving products on the bottom of their carts when they check out.

OLD scam. I worked as a cashier in 1990. Many stores had mirrors on the adjacent register so you could see the bottom of the cart. People also try to hide thin products between stacked heavy items, hoping you won't make them get it of the cart, ie cases of soft drinks, bags of dog foods, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uart

Disclaimer : You cant fix a digital watch with a hammer, but just about everything else is ok.
laugh.gif

--you probably can't fix your dog with a hammer either.

I always mark the top of the lid thats its used oil as soon as i can if the color of the lid is light like the silver mobil 1 lids, or if not i mark the jug.

I also like to try to take the used oil in as soon as possible, one time i had someone actually use a jug that was marked used oil in the garage and didnt even know until i told them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back