nearly 21,000 miles on OEM filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
it's doable. i posted a picture and more details here:
http://priuschat.com/threads/nearly-21-000-miles-on-oem-filter.152803/

I have been saying that for quite some time now. In my known clean engines I run 20000 mile filter intervals and when I dissect the filter the media doesn't look bad at all. The anti-drain back valve is still soft and pliable.
And that's with re-branded tough guards. If I was using an ultra I'd add another 10000 miles to the fci.
These guys who spout off about 3000 mile fci make me laugh. Filters become more efficient as they load so the reality is the oil is cleaner with a semi loaded filter vs a new one and that translates to less particulate being pumped around the engine.
But some people just won't learn. Their loss.
A man who refuses to accept facts as truth or turns their back to learning stunts his own growth as a being and neuters any ability for enlightenment.

Originally Posted By: Dexters
I don't get how just looking at the filter tells you anything.

well, at least the filtering medium was not torn like some other filters.

Fair enough. How about I dumb it down for you so you can "get it"

You dissect the filter and cut the end caps off so you can stretch out the media. In between the folds you can see the various sized particulate the media has trapped. Now if the media is not completely covered with particulate "mud" a person can infer the media is still porous and is still allowing fluid to pass thru.

If the media is completely caked in what resembles road tar well then a person can infer the media is no longer allow fluid to pass.

When you cut open enough filters and inspect them you can determine with certainty whether or not the media is still porous or not.

Do you "get it" now?
if you don't perhaps someone else can explain it in simpler terms.

Thats what I questioned earlier.
27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsfalls
21,000 miles on a hybrid vehicle isn't 21,000 miles on the gasoline engine ...

Sure it is, or at least as much as any engine with auto stop/start. The engine in the Prius is running basically any time the car is running (it's fully-electric under either 5 or 15 mph, can't remember which, and that's only if you're in "eco" mode).

Originally Posted By: BrotherMichigan

Sure it is, or at least as much as any engine with auto stop/start. The engine in the Prius is running basically any time the car is running (it's fully-electric under either 5 or 15 mph, can't remember which, and that's only if you're in "eco" mode).

if hybrid is driven mostly on hwy, like this car, engine is on 100%. speed cutoff for engine off is below 46MPH in prius IIRC (when coasting, low power situations, etc).

city is a different situation. if one drives it properly (pulse&glide), engine is off for about 50% of the time, cutting the engine hrs in half. this is why the 10,000 mile OCI is still OK even while driving in city only.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: BrotherMichigan

if hybrid is driven mostly on hwy, like this car, engine is on 100%. speed cutoff for engine off is below 46MPH in prius IIRC (when coasting, low power situations, etc).

city is a different situation. if one drives it properly (pulse&glide), engine is off for about 50% of the time, cutting the engine hrs in half. this is why the 10,000 mile OCI is still OK even while driving in city only.

This. I drove a 2nd gen Prius for a couple weeks. If you aren't mashing the accelerator through the city, the gas engine hardly ever kicks over. Guess it depends how you drive it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Fair enough. How about I dumb it down for you so you can "get it"

You dissect the filter and cut the end caps off so you can stretch out the media. In between the folds you can see the various sized particulate the media has trapped. Now if the media is not completely covered with particulate "mud" a person can infer the media is still porous and is still allowing fluid to pass thru.

If the media is completely caked in what resembles road tar well then a person can infer the media is no longer allow fluid to pass.

When you cut open enough filters and inspect them you can determine with certainty whether or not the media is still porous or not.

Do you "get it" now?
if you don't perhaps someone else can explain it in simpler terms.

OK, you do all that. What do you do with the information?

If the filter is still porous; do you put it back together and use it for some more miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back