nd help with barbecue ignitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this new barbecue from lowes. chinese special, 3 burner, side burner. Has an electronic ignition box, all plastic, with 3 output wires, one to each burner. Side burner has a perfectly working piezo ignitior.

Worked the first day so I tossed the receipt. Don't really want to return it (assembled, etc).

The box is absolutely, positively not grounded. I looked for a sneaky wire. My old barbecue, which I'm junking, has that hard-to-push pushbutton piezo ignitor and it has a subtle ground if you look for it. I repeat, there is no ground on the electronic ignitor; I unscrewed it from the grill and it's sealed plastic all arond.

Takes one AA battery, tried several. Clicks quite a bit, "ticks" when a spark actually happens. There is spark on one of three outputs. I moved the wire to a different burner and the spark followed.

I am assuming that lacking a ground, it works like a waste spark ignition. I can find neither that waste spark nor any burnt wiring indicating a short is happening.

Looks don't matter to me, and I expect these ignitors to rarely work anyway (how I grew up?
LOL.gif
) so I was going to just add my piezo ignitor to another burner, pick up a third one at the dump, and call it a day. But I have hope... yet... that I could fix this electronic thing and have one less thing rigged up that I have to explain to the wife.

Check the gap on the electronic spark generator and the ground. Make sure all connections to the actual grill are cleaned and you have metal to metal contact, sometimes that acts as a ground.

Nevermind I closed the spark gap... had been about 10mm, cut it to 4-5mm. Had been trying to bend the stiff wire coming out of the porcelain (stymied) then realized the holder for the whole "spark plug" could be tweaked (and probably was... in the box)

The way the ignitor box is shaped, I assume two contacts were alternating "hot" and the third, the one that worked no matter what burner, was "ground" and always sparking-- ergo, more reliable..

The grill was clean as it was brand new a couple grillings ago!

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Strike a match.
grin2.gif

yes, that always works.
doesn't matter, you'll be throwing out that grill in a season or 2 anyway.
I'm on like my 5th season w/ my weber. sat outside all winter w/ a cover, pulled the cover off, spark ignitor worked on 2nd try. I love my weber.

My old $89 charbroil lasted 7 years and I'm making this heap do the same. Have used burner rebuilding kits etc, very stubborn.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Strike a match.
grin2.gif

...I'm on like my 5th season w/ my weber. sat outside all winter w/ a cover, pulled the cover off, spark ignitor worked on 2nd try. I love my weber...

+1 for Weber's quality, I am on my 10th year with my Silver edition. Got some new stainless steel grates last year, we are good to go, baby!

Originally Posted By: Shagger
Originally Posted By: mpvue
Strike a match.
grin2.gif

...I'm on like my 5th season w/ my weber. sat outside all winter w/ a cover, pulled the cover off, spark ignitor worked on 2nd try. I love my weber...

+1 for Weber's quality, I am on my 10th year with my Silver edition. Got some new stainless steel grates last year, we are good to go, baby!

+2 7+ years and the ignitor still works perfect. upgraded to SS grates and flavorizer bars and it still works like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back