NASCAR Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The used oil testing we do costs around $500 per sample, but we get accurate results, and we have a good "flushing" program to ensure we don't intermingle additives.

JGR.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Do you have a list of tests that are performed?

Unfortunately no I do not. I assume ferragraphy is a major part of that price.

It is a good paper. They tested:

Quote:
1 - Commercial API SJ Package A, 20W-50 Mineral Oil, Ca/Mg/Na detergent Package

2 - Commercial API SH/CD Package, 20W-50 Mineral Oil, Previous 76 Nascar Formulation

3 - Modified API SJ Package A, 20W-50 Mineral, Ca/Mg version of test oil 1

4 - European API SJ/CF Package B, 5W-50 Synthetic, High Ca/Mg Detergent Package

5 - Modified API SJ Package A 10W-30 Synthetic, Same Additives as Test Oil #3

6 - Modified API SJ Package A + Friction Modifier, 20W-50 Mineral, Top-treated with 300 ppm Mo

7 - Commercial API SJ/CF Package C, 20W-50 Synthetic, Similar additives to Test Oil #5

The candidate Oils were run in the dynamometer engine test at RCR Research. The engine components were visually rated by RCR personnel at the end of each test. Pistons, piston rings, wrist pins, lifters, and camshafts were then shipped to Lubrizol where they were photographed and rated by certified engine parts raters. Select parts were also examined using techniques of surface analysis to determine whether there was transfer of material on mating ring and wrist pin surfaces and formation of suitable antiwear films on lifters, cam lobes, piston wrist pin bores, and wrist pins.

Due to the severe temperatures and sparse lubrication, candidate oils were typically found to be either [censored] performers or cause catastrophic failure resulting in early engine shutdown.

Summary of end-of-test-parts at RCR

Oil Camshaft/Lifter Ring Weld Wrist Pin Bore

1 ... Poor ........... Poor ..... Poor
2 ... Good ........... Poor ..... Average
3 ... Good ........... Good ..... Average
4 ... Poor ........... Average .. Poor
5 ... Good ........... Good ..... Average
6 ... Worst .......... Good ..... Poor
7 ... Average ........ Good ..... Average

Conclusions:

* RCR developed a dynamometer test that correlates ring welding, wrist pin bore wear, and valve train wear with Winston Cup Racing performance.

* Low detergent packages increase the effectiveness of antiwear fil formation which minimizes microwelding. Calcium detergents performed better than magnesium detergents which performed better than sodium detergents in this study.

* The particular molybdenum compound chosen as a top treatment for friction modification did not improve valve train wear.

* Synthetic oils generally performed better than mineral oils with similar additive packages.

* A 20W50 mineral oil showed equivalent performance to a 10W30 synthetic formulated with similar additive chemistry.

Quote:
Low detergent packages increase the effectiveness of antiwear fil formation which minimizes microwelding. Calcium detergents performed better than magnesium detergents which performed better than sodium detergents in this study.

Joe Gibbs and RL racing oils use no detergents.

Thanks for posting that RI.

Interesting about the 20w/50 and the syn 10w/30 .And the moly .And about the detergents .but I really do not have a clue as to what it really means though.

Originally Posted By: buster
Joe Gibbs and RL racing oils use no detergents.

Not true, at least for Redline. According to Redline "To reduce the chance of detonation, our race oils contain very few detergents and are not recommended for street use. "

I searched and cannot find a VOA or UOA for Joe Gibbs or Redline racing oils. They may both be fabulous oils, but there is no data I can see at this time to support that. And one has to wonder way RCR tested with Detergent packages.

That is what I meant. Little detergency. Thanks for clarifying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back