Nascar Cup at Sonoma

I didn't make a thread for this race because WE WERE THERE!!! It was awesome and definately will go back next year. I took my mom, it was her Mother's Day present. We had seats in the main Grandstand right behind Justin Haley's pit stall. The track was offering a drive experience on Friday, so we did that and it was so cool. We got 3 laps of the track behind the pace car. I really wanted to take my Mustang, but it gets 14mpg and the stick shift would have killed me all weekend in the traffic there. The Fusion did great, and they actually took us through pretty quick. We went Saturday for the ARCA and Truck races as well as Cup practice and qualifying. Met PRN and SiriusXM's Brad Gillie which was cool. I call into his show on Sirius fairly often and it was great to finally get to meet him.

My mom discovered a spot at the facility where there is a fence separating the garage and media center from the fan area. We hung out there before and after the race on Sunday just watching the controlled chaos. I got scared for a minute before the race because the teams were wheeling out the rain tires, but thankfully they weren't needed. After the race, Ross Chastain walked down the line and shook hands and signed autographs. We got a selfie with him. He is from Alva, FL and was stoked when we said we have family in Cape Coral. Then a few minutes later, NASCAR President Steve Phelps walked down without any entourage and talked to fans. We talked to him for maybe 5 minutes and took a picture with him. I can't imagine the President or Commissioner of another major sports league doing what he did.

2022_Nascar_Sonoma_Raceway062.jpg
IMG_4070.jpg
IMG_4074.jpg
IMG_4081.jpg
IMG_4083.jpg

I didn't make a thread for this race because WE WERE THERE!!! It was awesome and definately will go back next year. I took my mom, it was her Mother's Day present. We had seats in the main Grandstand right behind Justin Haley's pit stall. The track was offering a drive experience on Friday, so we did that and it was so cool. We got 3 laps of the track behind the pace car. I really wanted to take my Mustang, but it gets 14mpg and the stick shift would have killed me all weekend in the traffic there. The Fusion did great, and they actually took us through pretty quick. We went Saturday for the ARCA and Truck races as well as Cup practice and qualifying. Met PRN and SiriusXM's Brad Gillie which was cool. I call into his show on Sirius fairly often and it was great to finally get to meet him.

My mom discovered a spot at the facility where there is a fence separating the garage and media center from the fan area. We hung out there before and after the race on Sunday just watching the controlled chaos. I got scared for a minute before the race because the teams were wheeling out the rain tires, but thankfully they weren't needed. After the race, Ross Chastain walked down the line and shook hands and signed autographs. We got a selfie with him. He is from Alva, FL and was stoked when we said we have family in Cape Coral. Then a few minutes later, NASCAR President Steve Phelps walked down without any entourage and talked to fans. We talked to him for maybe 5 minutes and took a picture with him. I can't imagine the President or Commissioner of another major sports league doing what he did.

View attachment 104010View attachment 104011View attachment 104012View attachment 104014View attachment 104013
Awesome. I like Chastain.

Back