NAPA tru-stop brake review 1k miles 1 month

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed NAPA tru-stop front brake pads on my ford focus 2001. I also picked up two new rotors total of 64 bucks cause the passenger rotor was warped, with triple a discount and a couple of cans of brake kleen. The driver side threads on the steering knuckle for one of the slide pins was stripped. I installed a NAPA help! slightly oversized self tapping slide pin. I lubed all contact and pins with plenty of NAPA sil-glyde. I also replaced the other 3 slide pins with basic Duralast pins.(3.99 per two.)

The car stoppes much better, and gives out barely any noticeable dust. The pads were made in China, and so were the rotors. The pads I pulled off were Duralast Golds that were dusting like crazy. I spoke to the PO and the local big O installed them.

In short, for a decent brake that doesnt dust much, and stops well I recommend NAPA tru stop brake pads. I will reveiw again in 20k if they last that long.

Last edited:
I have heard a lot of good things about napa brakes. Even the cheap ones like you bought are very high quality compared to what advanve and autozone have. My local Napa has a display of their rotors compared to the generic competition and the faces of the rotors on their rotors are much thicker with less space between the vanes and were also much heavier, looks pretty good! I would like to try the safety stops and ultra premiums one of these days. Good luck with the brakes!

I was at a NAPA store looking for a part and they did not have one. I mumbled saying something like I wonder if any of your competators would have it, and he said we have none we got the highest prices in town!

Ken

I have NAPA brakes on my Dakota and I've been pleased with them. They weren't of any fancy material, so they do put out a fair amount of dust.

Just installed them on my Subaru two weeks ago. I used the Tru-stop pads also and the base Napa rotors. Looks like maybe 500 miles and all seems well so far. The car stops much better and no more annoying squeaking...

Iput a set of Tru-Stop pads on the front of my gf's Honda Accord a couple of years ago. They did a fine job, and the car stopped a lot better and smoother, and they really didn't put out that much dust either. Napa usually does sell better quality parts, even on their lower-end parts.

I installed Napa Ultra premium ceramic pads and new rotors on the front of a '73 Cadillac Coupe a couple of years ago. They work great but a little less so in frigid weather on the first application. Once I hit the brakes the first time they work very well.

It's a big heavy car and it gets driven fast on windy mountain roads from time to time when the weather permits.

Well, I promised to give a up to date review on this so I am.

These brakes are still on the front of the focus, but with 37k miles. The brakes are at about half life, mostly freeway driving. The brakes still stop well, however, they developed a small shudder that would go away if you bedded the pads again with a hard stop at 60mph. Still for 20 dollar pads they have lasted and did fine. Next time I will be getting the adaptave ones. Just thought i'd give you guys a update.

So in all these are decent pads if your on a budget, they do not make noise, and they do not dust nearly as much as the AZ pads do.

Take it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back