NAPA Silver vs O'Reilly's Microgard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cknight49090
The silver are better in most apps the microgards are mostly ecore filters with a plastic cage.

O'Reilly has switched from the ecores to a Wix-made filter. OP, I don't know the answer to your question, but I'd like to. I'm assuming that they're similar to either the Silver or Pro Select. I'll have one to cut in a couple thousand miles.

Micro-guards are made by Wix as is the NAPA. They appear to be identical. I buy the MG because the old guys at NAPA seem bothered by walk in customers.

Originally Posted By: cknight49090
The silver are better in most apps the microgards are mostly ecore filters with a plastic cage.

Get out much?

To the OP, I would used the two interchangeably.

The Microgard filters are attractive since they are often featured in O'Reilly oil change deals.

Some here say the new MG is equivalent to the Napa Silver, some say ProSelect. If forced to pick, I'd probably say closest to the ProSelect based on O'R's low bidder history with filter manufacturers for MG, and the PS being more a jobber filter. But that's speculation. Silver likely a bit more efficient than PS.

That said, for a standard ~5k oci, whether Silver or PS equivalent, the MG should function well.

In other words, don't sweat it.

^^^If you got an ecore as you say, you got old(er) O'R Champ made MG stock, that's all. So I doubt it was anyone's intent to steer you wrong, and no airport required. Newest MG's are Wix made, but there may be some older stock Champ/Fram MG's still on the shelves.

I wonder if they are more comparable to the Napa ProSelect? They seem to be WIX made as well.

This thread sparked my curiosity. I emailed WIX and received this reply.

"The Microgard line that we offer is equivalent to The Napa Silver line. We do not list micron ratings on our Value line filters."

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

"The Microgard line that we offer is equivalent to The Napa Silver line. We do not list micron ratings on our Value line filters."

33.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

33.gif

I was thinking the same thing..

^^^ I'm not completely sold on the combo ADB/bypass valve either.

Originally Posted By: sprite1741
. . . the old guys at NAPA seem bothered by walk in customers.

It's good to see that it's not just all the NAPA stores around here.

I am willing to give the combination ADBV/ Bypass a try. My Jeep will be a good tester. Lol. The Fram TG is working very well for me, but occasionally it can be a bit vocal compared to the Mopar filter I ran last time. That one was quiiiiiieeeet.

I like the the Silver with the combo it seems to work great. And you won't find media tears in a Silver either.

They don't publish specs but since it's an old style all paper cellulose media (and a lot of it) it's likely around 80% at 20 microns or thereabouts, much like the Driveworks and other similar filters I'd guess. But made in America.

Just guesstimating but I bet it's close.

^^^ +1 ... 80% @ 20 microns is probably a good estimate.

The Microgard in my garage for the Grand Marquis looks exactly like a Fram Extra Guard. Box says 94% filtration at 20 microns. Should be good for 5k miles.

I would rather have a documented 94% filter than an unrated "best guess 80%" filter.

Is Microguard made by different manufacturers depending on application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back