Napa pro select 27145 failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil after 5000 miles on my 2006 Camry. Oil was the last of my nexgen 5w30 stash and the filter was a Napa select 27145. The filter has a tear at the bottom of the seam. Top side looked ok, but a lot of glue. Date code 060415 E1. Put back in Mobil super HM 5w30 with the last of my purolator Classic stash ( I know. Will order OEM filters from this point forward).

2ewee7l.jpg

hun7dh.jpg

imkocm.jpg

ive71x.jpg

The media on these filters by Wix is very brittle in my experience but tears under actual use are not common. Bummer. Maybe this particular size is just too much for the media, though the spacing is pretty wide at the tear point which can certainly aggravate it.

Thanks for the cut and post!

I have to wonder if these cheap filters are even meant for 5K usage. I cut a bunch of pro selects that had 3K on them and all looked fine. However, the media felt super brittle and I doubt they would last much longer in service.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The media on these filters by Wix is very brittle in my experience but tears under actual use are not common. Bummer. Maybe this particular size is just too much for the media, though the spacing is pretty wide at the tear point which can certainly aggravate it.

Yep ... recipe for torn media, regardless of the brand.

If this is the one with a huge combo valve, combined with a long coil spring, it cuts way down on the media which puts more stress on it. When you cut open the equivalent Toyota filter I think you will see about twice as much media and no wasted space media could occupy. I hope your Classic does better. It probably will, most are OK, I guess.

Why don't you tearolator folks just pitch in and get a test done on a torn media. See if it goes from 99% at 25 microns (SPE) to 90% at 30 microns or ???

Then you can have those stats to bench race with.

^^^ Not cheap to have a lab test for ISO 4548-12 efficiency.

Cost quote in 2011 by the Southwest Research Institute was $1,600 per oil filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back