NAPA Platinum = Wix XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local NAPA has the NAPA Platinum filter for my vehicles on sale for $4.99. Are these the same as the Wix XP? If so, have any of you used the XP or the Platinum? I've always used he regular Wix because I read they are actually better than the XP even though they're a little less expensive.

Same thing. Solid, well built filters.

BUT, their filtering specs aren't as good as some other premium filters, if we are to believe WIX's less than clear filter spec data.

I have used the Platinum's with no problems. Same as you, they were on sale, and a good deal. I usually use Napa Golds ... same build quality, but no synthetic media, and supposedly better filtering.

NOTE: Most oem filters don't disclose ANY filtering specs, and are rumoured to actually be so so at filtering. Yet, they seem to do just fine keeping the engine alive well past warranty.

I've used Platinums as oil filters, where they did a fine job. However, I agree with both the fact that the NG has better filtration efficiency, and that the Fram XG is at least on par for construction and offers better filtration efficiency than the Platinum.

Since my transmissions (4EATs) all use spin-on filters from the factory, I believe these are a great choice for this, as they filter as good as the OE Subaru trans filter, but are also synthetic media and wire-backed. Considering OEM filters are around $30, and this month the Platinums were $5, I bought a half-dozen of them to last me for a LONG, LONG time. I will probably change them at 100k, considering I do drain & fills every 30k, and the factory trans filter is considered "lifetime service".
lol.gif

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
The local NAPA has the NAPA Platinum filter for my vehicles on sale for $4.99. Are these the same as the Wix XP?

I doubt it's a 100% safe rule but generally NAPA doesn't even try and hide who their OEMs are based on P/Ns. Last time I looked, their branded filters used the same numbers as WIX.

I normally wouldn't bother with this filter at all, but with that $4.99 sale I just had to grab two of them for my wife's BMW since the regular price of a NAPA Gold or Fram Ultra for her car is around $18!

But I would never pay more for the XP/Platinum than a Gold.

Originally Posted by Patman

You should buy my G37, then. NAPA Canada peculiarly has the Platinum for my G37 as cheaper than the Gold.
wink.gif
Both are too much money, but that's another matter.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Patman

You should buy my G37, then. NAPA Canada peculiarly has the Platinum for my G37 as cheaper than the Gold.
wink.gif
Both are too much money, but that's another matter.

I wouldn't pay more for the Platinum over the Gold, however I would pay more for the Gold over the Platinum since it's the better filter
smile.gif

My Wix supplier gets me the regular Wix for cheaper than the NAPA Gold, except for me stumbling upon the NAPA Canada sale a couple years ago. I should have bought all they had! I believe it was the XP, but a buddy with a Honda (using the same filter as I am) was quoted darn near $30 for a Wix XP. I know I could do better than that price wise, but I'm not seeing the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back